Police, Civilian Oversight and the Media

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Police, Civilian Oversight and the Media

... and when things go wrong. I have to admit I am floored by what is going on here in Edmonton. The short story is that the Edm. Police Service has been getting a hard time recently from some journalists and the Police Commission itself (the civilian oversight, they give the chief his marching orders) over a couple of issues such as high speed pursuits and handeling of suspects.

There has been a story brewing for some time about the police targeting one of the prominent journalists and the chair(man) of the Police Commission in a drunk driving sting operation. Seven police officers spent an evening surveiling the two at a function held in a lounge. The poo is hitting the fan since another news organization got ahold of transcripts of police radio traffic that contradict the statements of the police chief about the incident.

All I can say is Holy ****! How ever did those cops think they could get away with targeting a prominent critic in the media, and... THEIR CIVILIAN BOSS!??

The issue is serious enough that despite the Police Commission being very quiet on the issue recently, the Solicitor General of the province (the top cop) is coming out swinging at the chief and the officers involved.

In short, it looks like the EPS is in for a good ***** slapping in the near future. The chief all but resigned today. All I can say is thank God I don't live in a police state, do I?

A couple of recent articles.

Cop tapes 'sickening'
    New evidence shows police targeted me as payback for critical columns

There's shocking new evidence that Edmonton Police Service (EPS) officers carried out an unwarranted drunk-driving sting as payback because I've been critical of police in my columns.

Late yesterday I was given the opportunity to hear a tape recording of police officers talking on the night of a Nov. 18 drunk-driving sting at Overtime Broiler & Taproom downtown. The sting targeted me and Police Commission Chairman Martin Ignasiak.

The tape reveals conversations between some of the seven participating police officers on the night of the sting. Police recorded the two-way radio transmission and a transcript of the conversations are part of the EPS report into the sting. But the transcript and full report have not been made public by police.

Many of the things that were said on that tape were sickening. It suggests there's a real need for an independent body to re-examine the finding of the EPS internal probe. Police Chief Fred Rayner on Thursday released just eight pages of report highlights.

The conversations on the tape strongly suggest the unwarranted sting was conducted because some police officers don't like what I write in my opinion columns.

It calls into question whether police truly were on a routine drunk-driving operation as they've long claimed.

It also calls into doubt whether cops had a legitimate complainant who'd contacted them to suggest I was a risk to drink and drive. Rayner insists they had a legitimate complainant that evening but won't provide any more details.

It illustrates some police officers on the sting feel extreme animosity toward me - bordering on hatred. One person on the tape is heard accusing me of stealing columns off the Internet. Another person is heard to joke that any police officer who busted me for impaired driving would be rewarded with drinks for life.

What is said on the tape also shows that the police know where I live and have camped out in front of my home.

The tape also suggests I'll be specifically targeted in the future by police hoping to catch me driving impaired.

Two senior officers are facing Police Act charges after the probe into the botched sting.

Seven cops, including two undercover officers, conducted the sting during a meet-and-greet for journalists and provincial election candidates sponsored by the Canadian Association of Journalists.

Five other EPS employees - four cops and a civilian - received official warnings for inappropriately pulling up personal information on me and Ignasiak from police information systems.

Rayner has decided the seven cops who carried out the sting "will not face disciplinary action" because they were just following orders.

Police admit they were targeting me with seven cops that night after allegedly getting a tip I was going to drive impaired.

They also targeted Ignasiak. Both of us left the event that night in cabs.

The operation came to light when a Sun reporter overheard police two-way radio transmissions that night. Other reporters at the event learned there were two undercover cops present. One of those cops told a female journalist his real name.

The revelations on tape are the most shocking recent news that comes amid a string of unanswered questions about the sting and Rayner's response to it.

One has to wonder why Rayner insisted at the Thursday news conference that Ignasiak was not targeted by police. An EPS spokesman a day later admitted Ignasiak had indeed been a sting target.

The chief told the news conference I was the target of the attempted sting but it was not because I've sometimes been critical of police in my columns.

"Diotte was the subject of our attention, not because of who he is, but because of information that was received relative to his behaviour or what his conduct might be relative to drinking and driving," Rayner told reporters Thursday.

How can he conclude that when there's still a disciplinary hearing pending? Has that officer who's under investigation told Rayner I wasn't targeted because of who I am? And Rayner just takes it as gospel?

How can the chief say there is no political agenda against me from cops when the police union has now blacklisted the Sun, and some of its members won't talk to us? Isn't that a huge warning bell that there are political agendas at the EPS against journalists?

Why were the cops running my name and Ignasiak's name in their computer system prior to the sting?

Why do police now claim the sting continued long after Ignasiak and I left the bar? Their original news release said the operation ended when Ignasiak left.

The full report along with the tape must immediately be made public.

Citizens should be deeply shocked and concerned. After all, if a group of police officers can target an outspoken journalist with no criminal record, who else have they targeted or will they target?

Edmonton police chief goes on leave as province decides whether to call inquiry
    Last Updated Mon, 07 Feb 2005 20:19:30 EST
    CBC News
    EDMONTON - Edmonton's chief of police has gone on medical leave, just hours after the province's solicitor general said he might call an inquiry into operations within the department.

Word of Fred Rayner's departure was released by Edmonton Police Commission chairman Martin Ignasiak and is effective immediately.

Alberta Solicitor General Harvey Cenaiko said earlier he is considering whether a public inquiry should be called into a police drunk driving sting conducted last year in Edmonton.

Cenaiko says he's reviewed transcripts from the operation and believes a number of police officers did things that were wrong.

The sting apparently targeted Ignasiak, along with a newspaper columnist, Kerry Diotte.

Last week Rayner announced that two senior officers were facing charges under the police act and that their disciplinary hearings would be open to the public.

But critics say as many as seven other officers should be charged as well.

Cenaiko called the officers' conduct "extremely unprofessional."

"It is very inappropriate. It is obvious to me, having read it, that both these individuals were targeted and that's extremely unprofessional. There's some issues that are going to have to be dealt with.

"I'm going to have a meeting this afternoon with my staff, as well as some staff from the [police] commission and the Edmonton Police Service," he said.

The two men say they were targets of a drinking and driving sting because of critical comments they'd made about the police service. They were attending a Canadian Association of Journalists event. They said they weren't intoxicated and took cabs home.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Here's a much better article than the first two.

Edmonton police chief under fire over sting operation goes on medical leave

Lorraine Turchansky
    Canadian Press

Monday, February 07, 2005

EDMONTON (CP) -- Edmonton's police chief, who has been under fire for a police sting operation roundly condemned as unethical and unconscionable, went on indefinite medical leave Monday.

"The Edmonton Police Commission was just notified through counsel for Police Chief Fred Rayner that effective immediately he is on a medical leave of absence and deputy chief Darryl da Costa has been appointed acting chief," police commission chairman Martin Ignasiak told reporters.

The medical condition was not disclosed. Rayner could not be reached immediately for comment.

The chief touched off controversy last Thursday when he released a report into a Nov. 18 police stakeout at a downtown bar.

There have been accusations newspaper columnist Kerry Diotte and Ignasiak were targeted by police that night because they had been critics of the police.

Rayner, however, said the stakeout was launched on an anonymous tip that Diotte might be planning to drink and drive. It was coincidence, said Rayner, that Ignasiak was at the same location.

He announced disciplinary hearings would be held into the actions of two senior officers and said another officer was being investigated for allegedly using inappropriate language on the police radio.

The story unravelled a day later, when police were forced to admit that Ignasiak was indeed targeted and had even been given the designation T2 for Target 2 by officers on the stakeout. Diotte was T1.

More outrage followed over the weekend, when police radio transcripts from that night, which Rayner had refused to make public until the disciplinary proceedings, were published by The Edmonton Journal.

On the transcripts, officers are heard trying to tailor the sting operation to avoid having to later admit they had spotter officers in the bar. They joke about the anonymous tip that launched the stakeout. They mock Diotte's column, clothes and physical appearance and talk of previous surveillance on his house. They target Ignasiak but give up when he hails a cab, telling each other they "gave it the good old college try."

Earlier Monday, Alberta Solicitor General Harvey Cenaiko said he was considering calling a public inquiry into the affair under the Police Act.

He called the behaviour of police on the stakeout "extremely, extremely inappropriate."

Cenaiko, a former Calgary police officer, said it was obvious from reading the transcript that the two police critics were targeted.

"It's very upsetting," he said. "What happens is that it places a black mark on the whole Edmonton Police Service and it shouldn't.

"There are a number of officers there that have done something that is totally irresponsible, totally wrong."

Ron Hayter, a veteran city councillor, said his confidence in Rayner was shaken.

"This is absolutely unacceptable in our society," said Hayter. "If we allow this kind of thing to happen without taking very strong measures against everybody involved, then we've got to fear for our freedom."

Diotte and Ignasiak were attending a Canadian Association of Journalists event at a downtown bar when they came under the surveillance of seven officers. Both took cabs home but denied being intoxicated.

Chris Braiden, a former Edmonton police superintendent, joined opposition critics and defence lawyers in the call for a public inquiry.

He said the seven-officer sting was far from the routine operation Rayner suggested it was.

The responsible answer to a tip that someone was planning to drink and drive would be for one officer to go to the bar and warn him not to do it, Braiden said.

Six of the seven officers involved in the stakeout escaped censure by Rayner because they were following orders. But Braiden said officers have a responsibility to refuse unethical orders.

Cenaiko said he will be introducing legislation this spring that will provide additional civilian oversight of police activities.

Rayner, a 25-year veteran of the Edmonton police and deputy chief since 1997, is in his first year in the top job.

He beat out former Winnipeg chief David Cassels for the $199,000 a year job last May.

He took over a police department stung by controversy in recent years.

When Rayner took over from Chief Bob Wasylyshen, the service had just been through allegations by a former vice squad officer that some of his colleagues on the force shook down hookers for sex and money in the mid-1980s.

Then there was an anonymous allegation that city officers took perks from a company they later recommended for a contract to operate photo radar.

Rayner has also been facing heat for a rise in police chases, which have more than doubled in the last four years.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

Wunderbar.

Ugh. Well, it's a good thing they were caught.
      Blog | Civ2 Scenario League | leo.petr at gmail.com

Comment

If they had of only targeted the reporter they could have maybe took him down, but what in the hell were they thinking?

Comment

[Yoda]Drunk with power, they are.[/Yoda]
          "I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll die defending your right to say it." — Voltaire

"Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart." — Confucius

Comment

Or high on stupid pills.

It does make me wonder, if they were that confident that they thought they could do this, WTH have they done to other citizens who don't have the clout of columnists and their ****ing boss?
            (\__/)
            (='.'=)

Comment

You'll have to forgive us. This isn't New York, and we don't have a large number of bloggers so I don't have a written source, however...

I'm listening to the poo hitting the fan on the radio tonight, and on comes a woman who was present that night in the premises in question. She is a member of the association that the function was for. She says that a staff member of the Sun (Diotte's newspaper) heard what was going on on a police scanner and news spread to the people in the bar.

The woman on the radio reports knowing exactly who the two undercover cops were. She introduced herself and engaged them in chit-chat about the various people who were present, like the leader of one of Alberta's opposition parties. She suggests that the constables(?) were not well prepared to be undercover. I guess they stood out.

You really have to wonder about the brain power of the cops involved if they were discovered in the act talking openly over radio frequencies about their operation to target a member of the media.

A footnote might read that the media used to have police supplied scanners. A former chief took those away. Did these bozos think the major news organizations would not buy their own?
              (\__/)
              (='.'=)

Comment

It has to get worse before it gets better.

The chief at the time of the incident was fired. He signed off on a report that white washed the affair, and then another media outlet obtained transcripts of tapes of police radio traffic that made it perfectly clear that the media critic and the Chair of the Police Commission were clearly the targets of an operation to lay criminal charges for drinking and driving offences. Too bad they had nothing to suggest that any driving would be done, and nobody has been able to explain why 5 or 10 members of the police service should sit on their critics waiting for a slip up.

Anyway, not to be outdone, the acting chief thinks that it would be a good idea to investigate who spilled the beans with the radio transcript.

All I can say is, oh brother. Who do these clowns in blue think they are? Do they think they report to no one? There is going to have to be a smack down, and it ain't gonna be pretty.

Edmonton Police to probe publication of controversial sting radio transcript

Darcy Henton
                Canadian Press

Wednesday, March 16, 2005

EDMONTON (CP) -- City police will investigate themselves, their bosses and the media to try to find out how a police radio transcript of a controversial sting operation wound up in a newspaper.

Acting police chief Darryl da Costa made the announcement prior to Wednesday's meeting of the Edmonton Police Commission -- much to the astonishment of commission members.

Da Costa, replacing Fred Rayner who was fired over his handling of an investigation into the drunk-driving stakeout, told reporters that a city police officer will investigate how the transcript wound up in the Edmonton Journal.

"We ourselves are under investigation because we'll have to eliminate the possibility that any of the information in question came from us, the commission or media outlets."

The transcript, which showed police appearing to target a newspaper columnist and the head of the police commission for drunk driving charges, outraged some members of city council and stunned Alberta's solicitor general.

It was published just days after Rayner assured reporters that police commission chair Martin Ignasiak wasn't targeted in the "routine" operation.

Rayner was fired several days later after he told the police commission he was taking a medical leave of absence for an unspecified illness.

The Nov. 18 stakeout of a Canadian Association of Journalists' meeting at a downtown pub caused an uproar after an Edmonton Sun reporter heard the police discussing their targets on their police radios and the Sun published a story about it.

Both targets of the sting, Ignasiak and Edmonton Sun columnist Kerry Diotte, have criticized some police actions.

Da Costa said the person responsible for leaking the transcript of the radio conversation could face charges of breach of trust and obstructing justice, as well as charges under the Radio Communications Act.

Murray Billet, the police commission's vice-chair, was stunned to learn the police force will be probing itself and the commission.

He said it's important to find out who leaked the transcript, but he believes an outside police force should conduct the investigation.

"I think the commission is going to have to take a hard look at this process in terms of who is investigating whom," he said. "This is very serious stuff."

Da Costa said he had to launch the investigation because he has a duty to investigate the two complaints he received -- one internal and one anonymous.

"To not take any action would result in a complaint of neglect of duty against myself," he said.

Edmonton Journal editor-in-chief Allan Mayer said he hasn't been approached by the police about an investigation, but he defended the paper's decision to publish the transcript.

"In this case, we published that material in the public interest," he said. "It gave people an understanding of the conversations that were taking place that evening during the stakeout."

An internal police investigation, reviewed by a Calgary police deputy chief, cleared the seven officers involved in the stakeout on the basis that they were just following orders.

It did recommend discreditable conduct charges against the traffic staff sergeant who is accused of focusing the stakeout on Diotte and Ignasiak.

It also recommended discreditable conduct charges against an inspector who was responsible for a press release issued following the sting that suggested -- without naming them -- that the two men were drunk.

Da Costa said disciplinary hearings for the two officers will be chaired by senior RCMP officers. He said hearing dates won't be set until early April.

© Canadian Press
                (\__/)
                (='.'=)

Comment

They think they are the law. Isn't that clear?
                  -Darkstar
                  (Knight Errant Of Spam)

Comment

I think the problem is they believe they are above any oversight.
                    (\__/)
                    (='.'=)

Comment

Police, Civilian Oversight and the Media

The question is:
                      What are three things that are not connected in any way?

Seriously, this sounds really screwed. Is the police "city police", or a part of national police?
                      urgh.NSFW

Comment

City police.

The RCMP would never dream of pulling this sort of **** over their civilian bosses. Their civilian boss is the Prime Minister.
                        (\__/)
                        (='.'=)

Comment

Shouldn't the mayor be the supereme chief of the city police in that case? ( City police is an alien concept in Israel, so, please, not in the face. )
                          urgh.NSFW

Comment

The background is that the Province empowers the cities to have their own police forces. They set some guidelines to provide for civilian oversight and to try to prevent over-politicization of the city forces.

The city has to have a Commission to whom the chief of police reports. That Commission hires and fires police chiefs (hires subject to agreement by city council). The mayor is not allowed to be on that Commission, but 2 seats are held by city councillors.

It should work well, but then we had a problem with police high speed chases and a dead/disfigured family when a constable blew a red light without a siren and cut a car full of kids in half. There were some other accidents as well. The police commission started calling the police service onto the carpet over some policies. The reaction of the police service has been a big FU to the concept of civilian oversight.

They must be really stupid ****ers, since the Solicitor General has already come out swinging at the police service over this mess. I donlt know what they think they're going to win.
                            (\__/)
                            (='.'=)

Comment

My opinion is we need to start firing people until they get the message that they report to the Police Commission and they aren't going to change that by behaving badly.

The reaction of the Police Association (officers union) to this point has been to call for the Chair of the Commission to be fired. That's outrageous, given what has transpired.
                              (\__/)
                              (='.'=)

Comment

Working...
                              X