No announcement yet.

decline reported in Afghan poppy crop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Actually, I'm kind of walking the line on booze, because it's so popular already.
    I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
    - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

• In fact I think there are some beers in the fridge.

Comment

• Actually there were no more beers

Comment

• Seriously Kid, if drug demand is relatively inelastic, how do the many benefits to legalization not outweight the costs?
          "Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
          -Bokonon

Comment

• Drugs have very bad effects. Especially drugs like crack, crank, heroine.

Comment

• So do prisons. They have very bad effects too.

But again, the point is that with legalization, drug consumption wouldn't greatly increase if demand is inelastic.
              "Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
              -Bokonon

Comment

• Let me ask you this. If murder only increased a little bit when you legalized it would you support legalization of that?

Comment

• If it means half a million people fewer people in prison, a huge decline in organized crime, protections for labor and consumers in a major industries, etc., etc., absolutely. Why not?

Let me ask you a similar question: should the gov't drastically reduce our civil liberties - scrap the Bill of Rights - especially the 4th Amendment, etc. It would likely reduce the murder rate; probably not by a large amount, but some. Is that large loss in liberty worth the marginal decrease in the murder rate?
                  -Bokonon

Comment

• Originally posted by Ramo
                    If it means half a million people fewer people in prison, a huge decline in organized crime, protections for labor and consumers in a major industries, etc., etc., absolutely. Why not?

Let me ask you a similar question: should the gov't drastically reduce our civil liberties - scrap the Bill of Rights - especially the 4th Amendment, etc. It would likely reduce the murder rate; probably not by a large amount, but some. Is that large loss in liberty worth the marginal decrease in the murder rate?
                    No but something as immoral as murder should be illegal. Otherwise murderers walk among us murdering people and no one can do anything about it but run away - assuming that people do not murder the murderers since the murder rate would be lower. Do you actually want that?

edit: oops I forgot that we were originally assuming the murder rate increased a little, but you get my point.

Comment

• As long as the murder rate would increase only marginally and all those great things happen, absolutely. That seems like an excellent bargain to me. Obviously, that's not a realistic situation for murder, but if that were the case I'd opt for that without hesitation. The thing is, it is true for drugs.
                      -Bokonon

Comment

• So why don't you want to axe the Bill of Rights? There would be slightly fewer murderers on the streets. As is, the gov't can't do anything against some major murdering gangsters etc. due to lack of evidence. Without that irritating 4th amendment, we could nab them. Right, Kid?
                        -Bokonon

Comment

• There is something irrational about that. That's not my kind of civilization. People need to get what they deserve. The victims deserve that. The same thing goes for drugs. If your kid overdoses on drugs you deserve some justice.

Comment

• IOW, you want pointless revenge. Bloodlust. That's not my kind of civilization.
                            -Bokonon

Comment

So why don't you want to axe the Bill of Rights? There would be slightly fewer murderers on the streets. As is, the gov't can't do anything against some major murdering gangsters etc. due to lack of evidence. Without that irritating 4th amendment, we could nab them. Right, Kid?
                              No. I'm not sure why you are saying that I would want to axe the Bill of Rights. I don't want to pay any cost to stop murder. I only want some rationality to society.

Comment

IOW, you want pointless revenge. Bloodlust. That's not my kind of civilization.
                                I don't see it as pointless.

Comment

Working...
                                X