Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Would a 40 hour a week, 40k a year job make you happy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Giancarlo

Based on my own opinion and taste, that's what I definitely think.
    I had heard that. Wonder why they don't export here. Seems like that could be a great source of income for the cattlemen there. I bet there is some kind of beef lobby here that makes it illegal.
    "I am sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and you disagree with this administration somehow you're not patriotic. We should stand up and say we are Americans and we have a right to debate and disagree with any administration." - Hillary Clinton, 2003

Comment

Originally posted by Giancarlo

Based on my own opinion and taste, that's what I definitely think.
      You like a salty after taste?

Comment

If I'm doing a mindless and boring job, I'd need a HELL of a lot more money than that.
        “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
        - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Well that's my own personal experience... I personally don't like the beef here in the US, as cows are often (not always, but often) kept in cramped conditions. In Argentina, cows are let to roam where-ever they want.

"You like a salty after taste?"

If there are any sexual overtures to that comment, I'll just turn a blind eye.
          For there is [another] kind of violence, slower but just as deadly, destructive as the shot or the bomb in the night. This is the violence of institutions -- indifference, inaction, and decay. This is the violence that afflicts the poor, that poisons relations between men because their skin has different colors. - Bobby Kennedy (Mindless Menance of Violence)

Comment

why is your eye blind?
            Haven't been here for ages....

Comment

Originally posted by Shogun Gunner
              why is your eye blind?
              I just closed my eye.
              For there is [another] kind of violence, slower but just as deadly, destructive as the shot or the bomb in the night. This is the violence of institutions -- indifference, inaction, and decay. This is the violence that afflicts the poor, that poisons relations between men because their skin has different colors. - Bobby Kennedy (Mindless Menance of Violence)

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
                If I'm doing a mindless and boring job, I'd need a HELL of a lot more money than that.
                Mindless and boring at 40k is a damn sight better than being a stress case on 80k and dying in your mid 50's

Theres no way I'm going to to die of anything that even remotety work related, can you guys say the same?

Comment

Originally posted by Kidicious
                  I prefer mindless and boring.
                  I'm not surprises...

Comment

Originally posted by Urban Ranger
                    Accounting or actuary?
                    Actuaries make a hell of a lot more than 40k a year

Comment

No, too many hours

Comment

I would do that if it were limited to only 5 years. After that, I expect to be making more than 40k.
                        I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

I'd probably accept. It'd be worth it to have that feeling of security, and to not have to deal with stress.
                          "I'm moving to the Left" - Lancer

"I imagine the neighbors on your right are estatic." - Slowwhand

Comment

Stipulations: You are GUARANTEED the job for life.
                            Hypothetically useful but practically impossible. Going by the job description I'd leave eventually anyway so no plus point. So that's a

You will never, ever, ever get promoted or get raises past inflation's effect.
                            Definitely With my talents and abilities I have been offered this potential on a platter with much better pay rises and bonus.

The job is mindless and boring, while not physically demanding or hard, it is boring as hell.
                            Definitely a no-no. My job is pretty challenging.

You get 2 and a half weeks of paid vacation a year and good health benifits/insurance.
                            I get 5 weeks at the moment. Health benefits/insurance aren't really necessary in the UK but I do get them. By current exchange rates I already earn more money than $40k and work less hours than 40 a week. So you haven't tempted me

Would this job make you happy?
                            Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Well if I get that job guaranteed for life, I would show up only occasionally, asking how things are, resting a bit, chating a bit and then go home after 2 hours.
                              Since I got a warranty on that job for life, they cannot fire me!

What's better than free money?

Comment

As things stand now I'd say yes to the job. $40k a year is much more than what I get now (unemployed), but only if I'm allowed to leave (when I find another job) anytime
                                This space is empty... or is it?

Comment

Working...
                                X