Hospitals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hospitals

Tell us if you have any hang ups about hospitals or what you hate most about them. I just hate how the staff gives you directions with the assumption that you already know where your at. Gone are the long straight hallways. The one I was at had a corner every 10 feet it seemed. Felt like I was in a maze instead of a hospital.

Tuesday evening I got a call from my girlfriends mom who told me she had been taken to the ER because she was throwing up blood and was seriously bleeding from her mouth. She had her tonsils taken out the week before beacuse she has had continues problems with them since she was 14 but the doctors would never take them out because she was too old or something. Infections and other problems about 6 times a year and it kept her going back and forth and finally she got tired of it and had them removed as an adult. Well let me tell ya it's about the worse thing I've seen someone go through that wasn't fatal. I had been staying off and on with her and her mom helping to take care of her. She has two kids and they also needed to be taken care of. Anyway about 430 pm on Tusday I get this call from her mom and I rush up to the the hospital. Thing is she was 88 miles to the north and every city and town I went through was having rush hour traffic. when I get to the ER she was holding a bag spitting up lots of blood. Not a pretty sight and her mom and family was taking turns staying with her back in the Room but the sight of that much blood wasnt really something they wanted to see that much of so I stayed with her from the time I got there to the time they took her to the OR. That was about 3 ****ing hours she had to sit there spitting up blood. Once she got in the OR it took about 15 minutes to cauterize the bleeding since she was only bleeding out of one side. we had waited 3 hours (she was there a full hour before i got there) for a 15 minute procedure. Mainly because of a mix up between the ER and her doctor. After the operation she spent the night in the maturnaty wing. She had jokingly said she would rather have gone through a C section again than to have to put up with all that bleeding. Well since the hospital had a shortage of beds she ended up in about the nicest hospital rooms I've ever seen. DVD players, huge bath in the restroom, chairs that folded out into beds. It would have been a pretty good experience if not for my gf waking up every couple of hours in pain and me having to go remind the nurses that her medication was overdue again.
    Which side are we on? We're on the side of the demons, Chief. We are evil men in the gardens of paradise, sent by the forces of death to spread devastation and destruction wherever we go. I'm surprised you didn't know that. --Saul Tigh

I hate the fact that they can call you to an operation 07.00 on a tuesday and then let you wait until thursday before actually performing the operation. Yes, I have nothing better to do than staying at the hospital for two full days eating crappy hospital food and listening to old gezzers that have broken their hip bone and probably won´t make it through the night anyway...

And on a sidenote I´m sorry that my broken arm/shattered elbow wasn´t treated in an american hospital. Then I could sue their asses off for missing my sprained wrist and thereby causing me a (probably) lifelong disability...
    I love being beaten by women - Lorizael

Comment

Originally posted by Kamrat X
      I hate the fact that they can call you to an operation 07.00 on a tuesday and then let you wait until thursday before actually performing the operation. Yes, I have nothing better to do than staying at the hospital for two full days eating crappy hospital food and listening to old gezzers that have broken their hip bone and probably won´t make it through the night anyway...
      Your at their mercy through the whole process. If my gf surgery hadnt been considered an emergency one she would have had to wait more than she did.

You can't sue where you are?
      Which side are we on? We're on the side of the demons, Chief. We are evil men in the gardens of paradise, sent by the forces of death to spread devastation and destruction wherever we go. I'm surprised you didn't know that. --Saul Tigh

Comment

I hate two things; the almost a half hour's waitings that I usually have to have, and awful decorations. The wallpapers are straight from the 70's and they got these evil chairs, which I can't sit on without making some "un-estetic" sounds.
        The Chuck Norris military unit was not used in the game Civilization 4, because a single Chuck Norris could defeat the entire combined nations of the world in one turn.
        - Chuck Norris Facts

Comment

I always liked going to the hospital when I was a kid. I liked being the center of attention and laying in bed all day and watching tv and I liked the food. Course, I had to have pnuemonia to get in. One time it was so bad I had a hole in my lung, and they were worried my lung was going to collapse.

These days, I only go to the hospital when I'm having an asthma attack, so it's expensive and unpleasant. Still beats the alternative.
          Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

There´s some legislation regarding malpractice, but it´s a ****ing jungle of forms, examinations and ****. And it´s not even sure that it will get any money. I will have to apply to a third party insurance company that handles these issues. I want a ****ing lawyer that skins them alive And besides it´s almost impossible for a individual citizen to win a case against a branch of the state.
            I love being beaten by women - Lorizael

Comment

Lets not forget that you have a good chance of acquiring an infection while in a hospital that you didnt have when you went in. I avoid them like the plague (I havent found any Yersinia pestis yet in patients with nosocomial infections but have identified bugs almost as bad in many respects).
              We need seperate human-only games for MP/PBEM that dont include the over-simplifications required to have a good AI
              If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
              Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.

Comment

I probably haven't spent more than a few hours total in hosptials, so I couldn't really say.

Oh, but there's something I hate about the one near where I live, anyways. There is this mysterious fine mist of water (god I hope it's water) that falls to the sidewalk next to the building... I have no idea what causes it, but I feel it every time I walk past the building. Even though it covers only a very small and specific area of the sidewalk (a stretch of about 3-5 meters), it's always there.
                Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

Comment

From the air conditioning maybe? Personally I'd cross the street (at least) to avoid it. The stuff that floats through the 'filtered' air from the AC at some places is staggering.
                  We need seperate human-only games for MP/PBEM that dont include the over-simplifications required to have a good AI
                  If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
                  Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.

Comment

Originally posted by SpencerH
                    Lets not forget that you have a good chance of acquiring an infection while in a hospital that you didnt have when you went in.
                    Especially germs with Immunities against many otf thze antibiotics which are used to date.
                    Heard from a case in Japan where a patient got a pneumonia in hospital and died of it, because none of the antibiotics the medics tried showed any effect.
                    Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
                    Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

I happen to work in a hospital. Many for that matter. Since I work as an agency nurse. Most of the ones I have been in arepretty decent. Well as far as the O.R.is concerned. Believe you me its not the hospital making you wait it the wonderful doctor your seeing. Because while your waitng so are we in the O.R. Just waiting for mr wondeful to walk thru those doors. And I must add that most infections are gotten on the floors not in the or. That and patient non cooperation lead to the highest infection rate.
                      When you find yourself arguing with an idiot, you might want to rethink who the idiot really is.
                      "It can't rain all the time"-Eric Draven
                      Being dyslexic is hard work. I don't even try anymore.

Comment

Several things I hate:

1. They hand out industrial strength painkillers like sweets - overlooking the fact that they are not suitable for someone taking the drugs listed on your record, that they are not meant to be prescribed to someone in your age group. And they discharge you equipped with enough of them to kill a herd of elephants, mentioning casually that you really shouldn't take an overdose of them.

2. They don't believe you're about to be sick until you have vomited all over yourself, the floor and several members of staff.

3. They dont believe you are fainting due to low blood pressure. 'She's faking, just sit her down and she'll be fine' 'Oh, ok, fine, take her BP then' 'Oh Jesus, why didnt you tell us you were feeling faint?' Finally spend the next day on a drip and hooked up to a heart monitor.

And thats all just in A&E....

On the ward:

1. Nil by mouth. That means you are not meant to put food in front of me then shout and threaten to call a psych consult when I refuse to eat it.

2. Nurses are overworked, underpaid and very nice people - but I'm 19, not 9. I would not like to spend my day playing with plasticine in the ridiculously spelt 'skool-room', I do not want to help the kid in the next bed with her colouring book and I certainly do not want to meet the ****ing 'entertainer'.

3. A little privacy would be nice. If you insist on doing such intrusive examinations, please close the curtains around the bed first. And it's rather embarrassing having a bath with a nurse sitting 2 feet away from me.

Next time I get ill/have an accident, I think I'll just die outside. A lot less hassle
                        Desperados of the world, unite. You have nothing to lose but your dignity.......

Comment

Of course, people ignore how hospitals save millions of lives every year.
                          meet the new boss, same as the old boss

Comment

You wanna know what I hate about my job as a nurse? The fact that you try to take care of your patients and the patient and family members go behind your back and do things they are not supposed to. i.e One of my patient diagosis congestive heart failure.no fluids at all. Only cause it could kill him if he takes them. Family member brings fluids and gives it to paient and patient takes it. Hence making my job harder. Another example patient has blood pressure of 80/ 40 next to death, wants pain meds. all pain meds hes on will drop his blood pressure causing death. while im looking for the dr to find something to relieve his pain family gives pain meds from home man goes down, C.P.R. is started mean while my other 13 patients are ignored cause of this. thats what I hate.
                            When you find yourself arguing with an idiot, you might want to rethink who the idiot really is.
                            "It can't rain all the time"-Eric Draven
                            Being dyslexic is hard work. I don't even try anymore.

Comment

5 hours I was in the ER on Christmas Eve ... I should have been there little more than an hour since the ultrasond took 15 minutes and the tests on my blood and urine that they could do there were done and printed by the time I got back to the room.

In short: The waiting on nothing. Took them 4 hours to tell me the results they had 4 hours earlier.
                              The cake is NOT a lie. It's so delicious and moist.

The Weighted Companion Cube is cheating on you, that slut.

Comment

Working...
                              X