• Show
Clear All

• Nobody Died In This Plane Crash

Including the guy in the car.

Small Jet Skids Into Warehouse
    # 14 Hurt In New Jersey Plane Crash
    # Aircraft Was Heading To Chicago

Feb 2, 2005 3:11 pm US/Pacific
    TETERBORO, N.J. (CBS) A small jet skidded off a 6,000-foot runway at Teterboro Airport in northern New Jersey on Wednesday, crossing a highway during the morning rush hour and slamming into a building.

The most serious injury aboard the plane was the co-pilot's broken leg, New Jersey Acting Gov. Richard Codey told WCBS-AM. Two motorists on U.S. Route 46 suffered head trauma, but were expected to survive. Codey said he knew of no fatalities.

WCBS-AM reporter Peter Haskell reports the pilot had only minor injuries and was expected to be released later Wednesday. A flight attendant was listed in stable condition. A passenger in one of the cars struck was also injured.

Twelve people plus a crew of two were aboard the jet. Route 46 is a major rush-hour thoroughfare into New York City, about 12 miles away.

Teterboro Airport, 12 miles from Manhattan, handles corporate flights and some general aviation, and is considered one of the nation's busiest small airports. Teterboro itself has few residents. It is mostly the airport and industrial buildings.

Jets using the airport often pass right above the highway.

WCBS Radio helicopter traffic reporter Tom Kaminsky said the plane broke through a fence separating the airport from the busy highway. A portion of the fence was in the middle of the adjacent highway.

Television reports showed smoke billowing from the building, and the nose of the jet remained embedded inside the building hours after the 7:23 a.m. accident.

FAA spokesman Greg Martin described the aircraft as a twin-engine Canadair, Challenger 600, "a type of small regional business/charter jet," which can carry 12 to 15 passengers.

That model has been involved in two previous accidents, business aircraft accident analyst Robert Breiling told WCBS-AM. One was in Manchester, England, killing five people, and another last year in Colorado.

Luis Ortega's wife was one of the employees in the building when the jet hit it at 7:23 a.m. She called him from outside.

"Everybody was just running out of the building," Ortega told WCBS' Paul Murnane. She said everybody is out of the building, but the jet hit the company's shipping department.

There was no immediate word on injuries on the jet, registered to a company called 448 Alliance LLC in Dallas. It was on its way to Chicago's Midway Airport, with 12 people aboard.

Route 46 was closed in both directions, as were the airport and a nearby county technical high school.

That last photo shows the three westbound lanes of 46. There are also three eastbound lanes not visible, on the other side of the grassy area seen in the lower right corner. Route 46 is a high traffic, 55 mph highway.
    No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

How unfortunate.
    Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

Comment

Originally posted by General Ludd
      How unfortunate.
      unfortunate no one died?

yeah I thought about making a thread titled: Plane flies into building, but I decided to waste my threads on something more stupid.

Comment

All things considered, I guess they were lucky, if you don't consider the accident to begin with.
        Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

I bet Osama was behind this.
          Blog | Civ2 Scenario League | leo.petr at gmail.com

Comment

Originally posted by Dissident

unfortunate no one died?

yeah I thought about making a thread titled: Plane flies into building, but I decided to waste my threads on something more stupid.
            I'm sure that's not what he meant, right GL?
            The cake is NOT a lie. It's so delicious and moist.

The Weighted Companion Cube is cheating on you, that slut.

Comment

destruction in which no one dies or get seriously injured.

I love destruction.

Comment

The plane never actually left the ground, apparently.

I'm really surprised that more cars didn't get hit.

Comment

A plane skidded through a highway during rush hour traffic and hit a building and no one was killed.

That's incredible.
                  meet the new boss, same as the old boss

Comment

I live less than ten miles away, and use 46 regularly -- not by Teterboro, though.

I know that stretch of road, and I'm surprised that there weren't a dozen cars like the one in the first pic.

Comment

Serious misjudgement of altitude there.

Comment

Working...
                      X