Google's money machine...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Google's money machine...

Hey, this isn't bad for a company about 6 years old. Profits increased 278% last year to $400 million ($200 million in the fourth quarter alone). Revenues increased 118% to $3.2 billion ($1 billion in the fourth quarter alone).

These guys rock!

I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Google

If I had to pick one company to take over the world, it would be Google.

Comment

Couldn't happen to smarter guys, that's for sure.

I would like to note that even though these guys rock, I think their company is more than slightly overvalued.

By my calculations, the rate of net revenue growth decay is about 32%. With a net margin of 20% and a discount rate of 20%, the Net Present Value of the Google cash stream is "only" $10 billion + $2 billion cash on hand, rather than the $52 billion or whatever that the market is valuing the company at.

This assumes of course that Google will not successfully put another huge market in its crosshairs.
      Last edited by DanS; February 1, 2005, 23:12.
      I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Their HQ is right next to my Co. HQ .... it sucks to know they're all Millionares and I missed the boat with my Co.

Oh, well... more power to google

Do they take into account the money they got from the IPO as a revenue increase. If so that value means nothing, they need to prove they can make money with that money.

THough I think the online library will do just that.
        Monkey!!!

Comment

No, the stock market offering is a non-revenue event.

The internet library is a mind-boggling project. I don't know if it will be hugely successful in the sense of pushing revenue growth, but it's one of those very rare projects that just blows my mind and captures the imagination. As a civilization, we're moving all of our book knowledge from paper to online in the next 10 years. That ranks up there in importance with the Great Library, etc.
          Last edited by DanS; February 1, 2005, 23:21.

Comment

I'll pull an LC. Why should we care?
            I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
            - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

California has been pretty fortunate to have cultivated so many innovative new companies. Over the last 25 years the state has been able to maintain a big lead in all things high tech and start up related and this has generated a lot of tax dollars.
              Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Yes, but Kid is still poor so he doesn't care.
                “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Comment

Let's tax them more. Then I would care.

Comment

looks like Kid has been here
                    Attached Files
                    "Everything for the State, nothing against the State, nothing outside the State" - Benito Mussolini

Comment

I need to post in the other forums so that I can have an avatar.

Comment

I still can't figure out where Google makes money from. Are some people actually stupid enough to click on the advertising links?

Comment

Yes
                          “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Comment

Originally posted by Kidicious
                            Let's tax them more. Then I would care.
                            You would kill the goose which lays the golden eggs, wouldn't you?
                            Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Originally posted by Oerdin

You would kill the goose which lays the golden eggs, wouldn't you?
                              That depends on the goose.

Comment

Working...
                              X