X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• And so it begins: Same-sex marriage law tabled federally in Canada

Same-sex law tabled
    Adoption rights next fight: MP

OTTAWA (CP) - The federal government's contentious gay marriage bill has begun what's sure to be a very bumpy ride through the House of Commons.

Justice Minister Irwin Cotler introduced the bill Tuesday amid loud praise and withering criticism. The NDP, the Bloc Quebecois and most Liberals support same-sex marriage, which is already permitted in several provinces. But most Conservatives and some Liberals promise to oppose the bill in an effort to protect the traditional definition of marriage.

Prime Minister Paul Martin defended the bill Tuesday, trumpeting that "Canada is a country where minorities are protected."

But he also recognized concerns about religious rights, repeating that no church will be forced to perform gay marriages.

"There is no compromise when it comes to freedom of religion," Martin said.

Cotler said he knows that many Canadians are "struggling" with this issue, but added the courts have spoken and now it's up to Parliament to do what's right.

"It was the people of Canada, including minorities and gays and lesbians among them, who sought remedy and redress from the courts in invoking the charter.

"I trust that this last stage of this constitutional drama . . . will be conducted with respect for the plurality of views and the plurality of perspectives."

NDP Leader Jack Layton said any member of his caucus who votes against the same-sex marriage bill will face unspecified consequences.

"If we oppose human rights for lesbians and gays, there should be consequences in caucus and that will be the case in our caucus," he said at a news conference in Montreal to announce the hiring of former leadership candidate Pierre Ducasse as an advisor on Quebec.

The government wasted no time introducing the hot-button issue - it comes on the second day of the spring parliamentary session and in the face of increasingly organized campaign from Canadian pulpits to kill the bill.

Roman Catholic church groups have joined forces with Muslim, Hindu, Sikh and Orthodox Jewish groups to defeat the legislation. Their alliance represents the strongest and best organized political effort by Canadian religious institutions in decades.

Catholics were urged last weekend to write their MPs on the issue.

Not all churches oppose the legislation. The United Church of Canada stands solidly with the bill.

"Marriage will be enhanced, not diminished, religious freedom will be protected, not threatened, and Canadian society will be strengthened, not weakened, as a result of this legislation," said Rev. Jim Sinclair, general secretary of the United Church's General Council.

In the last four years the issue has entangled politicians, prelates and judges from across the country, including the justices of the Supreme Court of Canada.

Judges in several provinces and one territory cleared the way for the bill with an unbroken string of decisions saying same-sex marriage is legal.

Some politicians and church leaders remain unsure. Some religious politicians, including Martin and several members of his cabinet, have agonized over the issue.

Martin, a Catholic, has told his cabinet ministers to support the bill. Backbench MPs have been left free to chose yea or nay. A number of Liberals say they will vote nay.

NDP Leader Jack Layton ordered his members to support the legislation, saying a human rights issue is no place for a free vote. However, Manitoba New Democrat Bev Desjarlais says she'll vote No anyway.

The Bloc is generally solid in its support for the bill.

The Conservatives have supporters on both sides of the issue, although leader Stephen Harper has urged amendments to the bill to allow civil unions for same-sex couples, while preserving the traditional definition of marriage.

The Liberal legislation has been hanging fire since the summer of 2003, when the government of then-prime minister Jean Chretien sent it to the Supreme Court for a review. The Martin government expanded the scope of the reference a year ago.

The high court ruled in December that same sex marriages are constitutional, following more than two years of favourable lower court rulings that produced hundreds of same-sex marriages across Canada.
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

canada is going to burn in eternity!
    "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
    'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

I head on MPR last night that Catholic priests are telling their congegations to oppose this, time for you canucks to take the RCC's tax-exempt status away (you guys have that, I am assuming)...

Comment

Originally posted by Odin
        I head on MPR last night that Catholic priests are telling their congegations to oppose this, time for you canucks to take the RCC's tax-exempt status away (you guys have that, I am assuming)...
        Yeah, the vast majority of religious organizations out there are actively opposing this, even though the proposed bill puts, in writing, religious protections in place...
        "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

This is going to be interesting. I personally will let my MP know that she will not get my vote again if she goes against this bill.
          What?

Comment

I presume this will make Ben happy. He's been harping for a long time that it should be put to a vote in parliament. If it passes, he'll have nothing to complain about.
            "The French caused the war [Persian Gulf war, 1991]" - Ned
            "you people who bash Bush have no appreciation for one of the great presidents in our history." - Ned
            "I wish I had gay sex in the boy scouts" - Dissident

Comment

Originally posted by Kontiki
              I presume this will make Ben happy. He's been harping for a long time that it should be put to a vote in parliament. If it passes, he'll have nothing to complain about.
              He'll want a referendum when it passes in parliament.

Comment

Originally posted by Kontiki
                This post confused me untill I rembered that the cabinet usually makes the laws in a parlimentary system...

Comment

"Canada is a homo-fascist state."
                  - Rev. Fred Phelps

OMG OMG OMG WE ARE ALL GOING TO BE TURNED INTO PILLARS OF SALT OMG OMG OMG.
                  Blog | Civ2 Scenario League | leo.petr at gmail.com

Comment

Originally posted by Asher

He'll want a referendum when it passes in parliament.
                    and would find something else to want if it passed a referendum .

Seriously, to some of the "religious", nothing less than an explicit message from God would satisfy them.

The act will pass as it should but it will be interesting watching some of the members of parliament try to wriggle on this one. I think this is the type of issue that can only cost a politican votes since no matter which side you choose, the other side will probably make a point of voting against you for a long long time
                    You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

Homo-fascist? What's the SA got to do with Canada?
                      Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Originally posted by St Leo
                        - Rev. Fred Phelps

OMG OMG OMG WE ARE ALL GOING TO BE TURNED INTO PILLARS OF SALT OMG OMG OMG.
                        Only the lucky of you. The rest will be forced to participitate in gay orgies and wear purple clothes.
                        Why can't you be a non-conformist just like everybody else?

It's no good (from an evolutionary point of view) to have the physique of Tarzan if you have the sex drive of a philosopher. -- Michael Ruse
                        The Nedaverse I can accept, but not the Berzaverse. There can only be so many alternate realities. -- Elok

Comment

I'm curious what kind of infighting is going to come about from that NDP MP who refuses to follow the party line.
                          "The French caused the war [Persian Gulf war, 1991]" - Ned
                          "you people who bash Bush have no appreciation for one of the great presidents in our history." - Ned
                          "I wish I had gay sex in the boy scouts" - Dissident

Comment

Yes will be interesting.. I mean we can take liberal countries and all that, but a bill of this sort will be tough everywhere. There will be hard opposion. We will see. I predict, it will get leveled. Sorry Asher.
                            In da butt.
                            "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
                            THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
                            "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

Originally posted by St Leo
                              - Rev. Fred Phelps
                              In Soviet Russia, Fake borises YOU.

Comment

Working...
                              X