Turkey's future elite

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Turkey's future elite

Or at least part of it: a woman with balls and with values.

Breaking into a man's world
    Jan 27th 2005
    From The Economist print edition

The new boss of the Sabanci group chose to wear trousers instead of a wedding dress

TURKISH industry is dominated by two vast family businesses, both of which have recently handed over their top jobs to a new generation of 40-somethings. The Europeanised Koc group passed the reins to Mustafa Koc, the eldest of the chairman's three sons, in 2003. But before Sakip Sabanci died last year, he let it be known that he wanted neither of his two brothers nor any of their numerous male offspring to succeed him as head of the far more traditional Sabanci family business. Rather, he chose his niece, Guler. It was a choice that he had been hinting at for at least a decade.

Turks were astonished by the appointment of a woman to such a powerful post in what remains a patriarchal society. But none was more surprised than Ms Sabanci herself. As her uncle lay dying in an Istanbul hospital, she recalls thinking that she would quit the business. “I could not envisage staying on without him,” she says.

Running a sprawling conglomerate with annual sales of $12 billion and interests ranging from banking to cars, and from energy to food, is a challenging task that comes at a particularly challenging time. In December, EU leaders finally agreed to begin accession talks with Turkey on October 3rd this year. Over the coming decade, Turkish companies will need drastically to alter their often unorthodox business practices if they are to thrive within the EU. Although TUSIAD, Turkey's powerful association of businessmen, currently headed by one of Guler's cousins, strongly supported the country's attempt to join the EU, many of its individual members fear the abolition of protectionist policies behind which they have prospered for decades.

Sabanci Holding went through a big restructuring of its operations before Turkey signed a customs union with the EU in 1996. The process was designed to prepare it for global competition. Ms Sabanci says that the EU straitjacket can only benefit honest Turkish businesses. For a start, it will help constrain the country's vast black economy (estimated at anything up to 50% of GDP), making competition for companies like Sabanci “much fairer”. More companies will be compelled to pay taxes and follow health and safety regulations.

The EU's decision to start accession talks is also expected to enthuse foreign investors for a country that they have to date noticeably shunned because of decades of chronically high inflation, political instability and massive corruption. That gloomy image is slowly being altered under the group of mild Islamists who have been running Turkey for the past two years. And slowly the world is noticing.

This newly stable environment has prompted Ms Sabanci to look for new alliances with foreign partners, a strategy that the group excels at. She herself masterminded its first joint-venture, with DuPont in 1987, setting up a $100m nylon-yarn producer in the port city of Izmit. The group's joint-venture with Toyota, which the Japanese car manufacturer is said to be well pleased with, was launched in 1994 as a platform for exporting Corollas to the rest of Europe. Last year it captured 6.7% of the highly competitive local car market.

Ms Sabanci says acquisitions are also on the cards. They may include Telsim, Turkey's number-two mobile-phone operator. It was taken over by the government after its owners, the Uzan family, stole billions from their foreign partners, Motorola and Nokia, and the company was forced into bankruptcy.

Behind her unconventional lifestyle—she lives alone and mixes with painters and popstars—lies a tough, conservative businesswoman who takes only carefully calculated risks; one reason, say her business associates, why her uncle anointed her as his successor. Some of her male cousins were so offended that one of them, Demir Sabanci, is rumoured to have sold all his shares in the company last month, because he could not stomach being bossed by a woman.

From sharecropper to shareowner

Ms Sabanci's first brush with industry was at the age of three, when her grandfather Haci Omer, a rags-to-riches former cotton sharecropper in the southern province of Adana, took her to the family's textile factory there. Ms Sabanci's parents divorced when she was eight and left her in the care of her grandfather. “He always told me that one day I would wear trousers, drive a car and work in the factory.”

And that is what she did: her career began 27 years ago at the family's tyre factory in Izmit. She resisted her grandmother's unrelenting demands to “see me in a wedding dress” choosing, as she puts it, “my work instead.” When not working she keeps an eye on the wine she launched in 1999, under the label “G”, the same year she launched what she calls “my big baby”: Sabanci University. The university has matured rather better than the wines—it is already counted among Turkey's best privately-owned colleges. Some 40% of its students are offered free tuition, subsidised by the $20m a year that the university gets from the Sabanci group.

“Tough” and “unpretentious” are the words that employees most frequently use to describe Ms Sabanci, a reformed chain smoker with a gravelly Janis Joplin-like voice. Her toughness came to the fore recently when she withstood pressure from the state to fire Halil Berktay, an eminent Ottoman historian at the university. He had dared to suggest that Turkey's Armenian minority may have been slaughtered in large numbers by Ottoman forces during the first world war.

Her late uncle similarly angered the authorities when he called for more rights for Turkey's Kurdish minority. “His greatest lesson to me,” says Ms Sabanci, “was to be a free thinker, to be tolerant, honest and fair.” Those who know her say it is a lesson that she has learnt well.
    DISCLAIMER: the author of the above written texts does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for any offence and insult; disrespect, arrogance and related forms of demeaning behaviour; discrimination based on race, gender, age, income class, body mass, living area, political voting-record, football fan-ship and musical preference; insensitivity towards material, emotional or spiritual distress; and attempted emotional or financial black-mailing, skirt-chasing or death-threats perceived by the reader of the said written texts.

Re: Turkey's future elite

Originally posted by Colon
    a woman with balls
    I prefer them with boobs.

Sorry couldn't resist

Blah

Comment

Sabanci
      Blog | Civ2 Scenario League | leo.petr at gmail.com

Comment

Turkey's future elite?

Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

You'll to to Hellas for that, Harrison.
          Blog | Civ2 Scenario League | leo.petr at gmail.com

Comment

edit: oops! I was reading an article on-line at the same time about a brawl at a Turkish political convention, and responded to that here.
            Last edited by Rufus T. Firefly; February 2, 2005, 00:28.
            "I have as much authority as the pope. I just don't have as many people who believe it." — George Carlin

Comment

DISCLAIMER: the author of the above written texts does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for any offence and insult; disrespect, arrogance and related forms of demeaning behaviour; discrimination based on race, gender, age, income class, body mass, living area, political voting-record, football fan-ship and musical preference; insensitivity towards material, emotional or spiritual distress; and attempted emotional or financial black-mailing, skirt-chasing or death-threats perceived by the reader of the said written texts.

Comment

Turkey's current elite:
                Attached Files
                We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Social and economic development in the Middle East
                  Visit First Cultural Industries
                  There are reasons why I believe mankind should live in cities and let nature reclaim all the villages with the exception of a few we keep on display as horrific reminders of rural life.-Starchild
                  Meat eating and the dominance and force projected over animals that is acompanies it is a gateway or parallel to other prejudiced beliefs such as classism, misogyny, and even racism. -General Ludd

Comment

edit: I :

GDP - real growth rate:
                    5.8% (2003 est.)
                    I was thinking about 2002 which had a negative growth...
                    Last edited by RGBVideo; February 2, 2005, 02:09.

Comment

Greece and Spain both had worse human rights records when they were admited to the EU and the economic satistics don't back you up VJ. Inflation is way down, growth is up, though I'm not sure about crime.
                      Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Originally posted by Rufus T. Firefly
                        edit: oops! I was reading an article on-line at the same time about a brawl at a Turkish political convention, and responded to that here.

Happen to have an opinion about this?

Comment

Working...
                        X