Linux security is a myth claims Microsoft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux security is a myth claims Microsoft

Well, of course he´s saying that. It´s a friggin´competitor that eating market shares for Microsoft. Is there some truth behind this or is he just whining because he feels Linux is getting a bit to popular for Microsofts taste?
    I love being beaten by women - Lorizael

I hardly think that having 3-4% of the market share can be qualified as "eating" into MS's take too much.
    Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

There are more vulnerabilities for Linux and its standard programs than there are for Windows.

Windows gets more press because it's Microsoft (which the public has more interest in than Linux). Windows gets the viruses/worms because it has the largest marketshare by far (so it has an accompanying big bullseye), with a userbase who is pretty easy to trick/fool/exploit.

In terms of electronic breaking & entering (ie, corporate and small business hacking), Linux has a far higher rate than Windows does. This is largely due, IMO, to the "false sense of security" Linux provides. Users of Linux and MacOS X seem to think their system is bulletproof. Very few of them have firewalls or install critical updates immediately, and they pay for it.

The most sensible advice, and what anyone who knows what he's talking about with secure will tell you, is any system with at least one remote vulnerability is just as insecure as a system with more than one. It's like locking all doors, except for one or two to your house. They only need one to get in...

The most common counter to this argument is it's a "myth". Linux zealots will claim it's a myth MS is targeted because it's the biggest (and largely seen as the devil to the cracker/virus community). This, of course, is patently nonsense.

The other counter is all systems have security vulnerabilities, but at least in Linux they're fixed much quicker.

This is true to some extent. It still can take many weeks for a fix to come, like in the most recent 17 Linux security vulnerabilies, but the Linux community does way less testing on their fixes than MS has to do. An example of a recent screwup with a "rushed fix" is OpenSSH.

Anyway, long story short, you're just as safe with Windows as you are with Linux, provided you know what you're doing.
      "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
      Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

But if you´re bent on total world domination even 3-4% is too much

Comment

Originally posted by Kamrat X
          But if you´re bent on total world domination even 3-4% is too much...
          In the desktop, Linux isn't making a dent.

In the server market, Windows and Linux are both increasing marketshare.

MS just posted record profits.

All this talk about Linux killing Windows is nonsense from crazy zealots.
          "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

I´m not a zealot. I´m quite happy with my XP SP1. I just thought the article was a wee bit on the whiny side

Comment

Originally posted by Kamrat X
              I´m not a zealot. I´m quite happy with my XP SP1. I just thought the article was a wee bit on the whiny side
              I'm not saying you're a zealot, that comment is directed at someone else.

The article makes a lot of sense, and is a just counter to all of the nonsense about the "Linux domino effect" and other crap some people like to spew.

Comment

Quit so much, you're sounding like Ming.
                Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

Originally posted by Boris Godunov
                  Quit so much, you're sounding like Ming.
                  Well, he is my hero.

I'm taking up smoking now, to fit in.

Comment

Originally posted by Asher

I'm not saying you're a zealot, that comment is directed at someone else.

The article makes a lot of sense, and is a just counter to all of the nonsense about the "Linux domino effect" and other crap some people like to spew.
                    Ok, it´s comforting to know that "Big Bad" has nothing to fear from impertinent upstarts

Comment

A senior Microsoft executive, speaking exclusively to vnunet.com
                      as if there was a demonstration of journalists outside his door asking for interview....
                      Co-Founder, Apolyton Civilization Site
                      Co-Owner/Webmaster, Top40-Charts.com | CTO, Apogee Information Systems
                      giannopoulos.info: my non-mobile non-photo news & articles blog

Comment

Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

The problem is UserFriendly is never funny, nor is it insightful.

Comment

Asher
                            UserFriendly
                            Co-Founder, Apolyton Civilization Site
                            Co-Owner/Webmaster, Top40-Charts.com | CTO, Apogee Information Systems
                            giannopoulos.info: my non-mobile non-photo news & articles blog

Comment

Originally posted by Asher
                              There are more vulnerabilities for Linux and its standard programs than there are for Windows.
                              Ask CERT. That's all I am going to say. Unlike Microsoft, CERT isn't going to FUD or lie.
                              (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                              (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                              (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Working...
                              X