Sci-fi novel recommendation thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Zkribbler
    Am I the only person here who thinks Asimov's Foundation series is absolutely abysmal?

Orson Scott Card's Ender's Game is superb.
    Enders Game is really good. The sequels are quite uninteresting though.
    I love being beaten by women - Lorizael

Comment

As far as the Dune series. For the love of God Emperor, don't read past Children of Dune. Heck, I don't know if I'd recommend it past Dune itself.

Avoid like the plague anything with "Brian Herbert" on the cover, too.
      B♭3

Comment

Dune

Brian Herbert
        I love being beaten by women - Lorizael

Comment

Originally posted by Kamrat X
          Dune

Brian Herbert
          Brian Herbert -> Dune Lite
          Keep on Civin'
          RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

offensive language, but true nonetheless.
            B♭3

Comment

Ender's Game
              Speaker for the Dead
              Xenocide
              Everything past Xenocide
              mssv.net - After Our Time - Six to Start

Comment

I've done this in pretty much every sci-fi novel recommendation thread I've posted in this far, so I'll do it here, too..

Startide Rising by David Brin.

I'll give a to Dragon's Egg, too, despite the fact that the beginning is absolutely horrible, mostly because all of the human characters are absolutely horrible...
                This is Shireroth, and Giant Squid will brutally murder me if I ever remove this link from my signature | In the end it won't be love that saves us, it will be mathematics | So many people have this concept of God the Avenger. I see God as the ultimate sense of humor -- SlowwHand

Comment

Originally posted by -Jrabbit
                  Recently, I discovered Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson. Gibsonesque, but jazzier. Very, very good.
                  Snow Crash, to me, is his best I've read. Stephenson seems to have a problem ending his stories, though.

I recommend Gibson's Burning Chrome, a collection of his short stories. I find it better than his later work, though Nueromancer is wonderful.

Ursla Le Guinn's The Dispossessed is quite good.

I recommend Kevin McLeod's Stone Canal series, though others don't liie him so much. He's a commie, though, and I think his work's pretty good.
                  Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Hyperion & Fall of Hyperion by Dan Simmons

Best scifi book ever!

Then I can also recommend pretty much any Asimov, though the Foundation Series is probably the best.
                    Haldeman's "The Forever War" is another good one.

Comment

Look, I can't remember the author and I don't have the book, but I really like the "Reality Disfunction" series...they're all great!
                      I might as well add that I also like most of Asimov (and that includes the Foundation and sequels/presequels), as well as Arthur C. Clarke, specially his 2001(and etc) series.
                      BTW, does anybody know if the books of "Isaac's Universe" had a continuation? I only have book 1, and its sooo good...in a few words, Asimov invented a human and alien universe, and gave it to some authors to do whatever they wanted...the outcome, I think, is pretty good.
                      "Too much ambition is a sin...only if you fail"
                      Yoritomo Kumiko

Comment

Look, I can't remember the author and I don't have the book, but I really like the "Reality Disfunction" series...they're all great!

Peter F. Hamilton. Possibly the best space-opera writer today (except for maybe Alastair Reynolds).

Comment

Originally posted by Lord_Icewind
                          Peter F. Hamilton
                          (The Reality Dysfunction. 1996)
                          (The Neutronium Alchemist. 1997)
                          (The Naked God. 1999)

A great trilogy! One of the best SF authors out there right now.
                          Keep on Civin'
                          RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Yes, after reading this series, I checked out some of his earlier stuff.
                            It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                            RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Yeah, but he's a sorry ****er. Dumb SOB is releasing the sequel to his current series... in January 2006. I read the first novel the week it was released in hardback: March 2004.

Name of the first book is Pandora's Star, and it is some of the most fun space opera I've ever read. I'm just fuggin salivating over the next one, and I literally shouted "oh no!" when I found out that the book was not coming out for another year.

I recommend it highly.

Comment

I'm sure you've read "Foundation" trilogy, but if you haven't, you owe it to yourself to do so (BEST. TRILOGY. EVAR.)

"Rendevous with Rama" is perhaps my favorite sci-fi book, but I've heard the rest of the series sucks.
                                “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                                - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Working...
                                X