More disgraceful Chinese conduct wrt North Korean refugees

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More disgraceful Chinese conduct wrt North Korean refugees

Thomson Reuters empowers professionals with cutting-edge technology solutions informed by industry-leading content and expertise.

RPT-China sends escaped S.Korea POW back to North -Seoul
    27 Jan 2005 14:15:35 GMT

Source: Reuters

(Adds addresses)

SEOUL, Jan 27 (Reuters) - A South Korean who escaped from the North last month after more than half a century as a POW has been sent back by China to Pyongyang's custody, a Seoul Foreign Ministry official said on Thursday.

But a Seoul-based group working with the families of South Korean abductees said it was not entirely convinced that Han Man-taek, believed to be 72, had actually been returned.

"China has officially notified us that the prisoner of war has been repatriated to the North," a Foreign Ministry official said by telephone.

"We have made a protest, but China said he had been returned before our government became aware of the case," he said.

China and North Korea have a bilateral agreement to repatriate refugees crossing into China.

South Korea's Yonhap news agency said Han had fled the North in late December, only to be arrested soon afterwards while staying in a hotel in northeastern China where he had arranged to meet relatives from South Korea.

After learning of his arrest, the agency said, Seoul had notified Beijing on 30 December that Han was a South Korean POW and should not be sent back to the North.

"Despite the request, Han was forced to go back to the communist state and the Chinese government is claiming the repatriation was made 'right before' it received the request from Seoul, according to the ministry official," Yonhap said.

"What China is saying is Han has been returned less than [b]48 hours[b/] after his capture," said Choi Sung-ryong of the non-government group helping abductees' families.

He said Beijing normally took several days to question people believed to have defected from the North.

"That is very unusual and sounds like a lie," Choi said, adding that China might be reacting "emotionally" after a spat earlier this month over a news briefing by South Korean lawmakers that was broken up by Chinese security agents.

Choi himself is the son of an abducted South Korean fisherman.

The Seoul government protested at the lawmakers' treatment, but Beijing retorted that the briefing had not been authorised and the legislators had been trying to incite illegal activity.

Choi said more checking was needed for him and Han's family to be convinced that he had indeed been returned to the North.

If China's statement is confirmed, Han's would be the first such case.

Beijing allowed another escaped South Korean POW, 72-year-old Jeon Yong-il, to travel to the South in December 2003.
    So basically what we have is a 72 year old POW with diabetes who's excaped NKorea and was in China while doing everything he could to get back to the family that he hadn't seen in 50 years and the Chinese arrest him and claim to have shipped him back to NKorea before the Korean government even had a chance to lodge a formal complaint.

Sickening, just ****ing sickening and this sort of thing is happening every day. People clawing their way out of hell and being kicked back in by the evil scum that composes the Chinese government.

Right now to get to SKorea, NKorean refugees generally have to sneak all the way through China into SE Asia and get to SKorea from there and the balless wonders who're currently leading SKorea currently aren't doing anything at all to stop this. Just pathetic.
    Stop Quoting Ben

The Communist Chinese government has spent the last 50 years acting as the willing partner for one of the worst regimes on Earth. They aren't likely to give up their support of North Korea just because everyone in North Korea hates their government and wants to flee.
    Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Originally posted by Oerdin
      The Communist Chinese government has spent the last 50 years acting as the willing partner for one of the worst regimes on Earth. They aren't likely to give up their support of North Korea just because everyone in North Korea hates their government and wants to flee.
      Yes but it would be nice if the SKorea government at least went through the motions of pressuring China over this issue or making any real effort whatsoever to help NKorean refugees. Just a few months ago, SKorea didn't do anything to help hundreds of NKorean refugees who'd made it to Vietnam get to SKorea until Vietnam threatened to make a formal protest.
      Stop Quoting Ben

Comment

The south likely wants to keep pretending that everything is sunshine with the north and accepting lots of refugees would likely piss off the north. The get pissed off at even the most reasonable things so my feeling is why try to appease North Korea since it will never work. A much better strategy would be to act like Ronald Reagan did towards the Soviets wrt the Berlin Wall.

A firm and uncompromising message combined with economic consequences is what is needed. Anything less will be viewed as weakness. To that end all food aid, energy aid, or any other aid gets cut off. If North Korea wants it back then it's going to have to dance for it and if China becomes unhelpful then it should be sanctioned until they learn who butters their bread.
        Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Regarding Chinese treatment of North Koreans, I'm not sure what anyone expects, considering how Beijing treats its own citizens.
          Official Homepage of the HiRes Graphics Patch for Civ2

Comment

Got any juicy stories to tell mindseye before I, for one, welcome our new Chinese overlords?
            Exult in your existence, because that very process has blundered unwittingly on its own negation. Only a small, local negation, to be sure: only one species, and only a minority of that species; but there lies hope. [...] Stand tall, Bipedal Ape. The shark may outswim you, the cheetah outrun you, the swift outfly you, the capuchin outclimb you, the elephant outpower you, the redwood outlast you. But you have the biggest gifts of all: the gift of understanding the ruthlessly cruel process that gave us all existence [and the] gift of revulsion against its implications.
            -Richard Dawkins

Comment

Do really all north koreans hate their government, i'm sure most do but there must be a fair amount of brainwashed soldiers and others that keep the wheels spinning.
              It's candy. Surely there are more important things the NAACP could be boycotting. If the candy were shaped like a burning cross or a black man made of regular chocolate being dragged behind a truck made of white chocolate I could understand the outrage and would share it. - Drosedars

Comment

Originally posted by Footie Mad
                Do really all north koreans hate their government, i'm sure most do but there must be a fair amount of brainwashed soldiers and others that keep the wheels spinning.
                That and if you run away, chances are that you're family's gunna get it.
                Stop Quoting Ben

Comment

BTW Boshko what's happening with your mob now? How was the big trip? Job searching or didja decide to hang around over here for a while longer?

I'm back working again, political science research here at the U about Shari'a law in Ontario. I should be back in Asia, probably Korea, in 2 years.

I'm also really frustrated because my female korean aquaintance keeps sending me @hanmail e-mails I can't reply to from Yahoo.
                  "Wait a minute..this isn''t FAUX dive, it's just a DIVE!"
                  "...Mangy dog staggering about, looking vainly for a place to die."
                  "sauna stories? There are no 'sauna stories'.. I mean.. sauna is sauna. You do by the laws of sauna." -P.

Comment

[ http://www.nkzone.org ] scopps most of these a few days before regular news sources does.
                    B♭3

Comment

Well with the elections done smoothly things are winding down in Iraq, and Bush has four more years to go.

Boshko, I'd get out by 2007. After Iran goes, Korea's next.

Bush II World Tour
                      2001 Afghanistan
                      2003 Iraq
                      2005 Iran
                      2007 North Korea
                      Visit First Cultural Industries
                      There are reasons why I believe mankind should live in cities and let nature reclaim all the villages with the exception of a few we keep on display as horrific reminders of rural life.-Starchild
                      Meat eating and the dominance and force projected over animals that is acompanies it is a gateway or parallel to other prejudiced beliefs such as classism, misogyny, and even racism. -General Ludd

Comment

Originally posted by Seeker
                        BTW Boshko what's happening with your mob now? How was the big trip? Job searching or didja decide to hang around over here for a while longer?

I'm back working again, political science research here at the U about Shari'a law in Ontario. I should be back in Asia, probably Korea, in 2 years.

I'm also really frustrated because my female korean aquaintance keeps sending me @hanmail e-mails I can't reply to from Yahoo.
                        Heya Adam, should've emailed you before this.

The trip was great, good skiing (except a bit icy at first) and the whole meet the family thing went great. Thanks for putting us up.

I've just started working at my new job this week, its an SAT prep place in Apkugeong that pays w30,000/hour (yay!). Right now the schedule's a little light since a lot of their regular students are going to boarding schools in the state so now I'm doing some history, tutoring and history classes.

And its really ****ing cold, coldest I've ever seen it in Korea. Goddam hot water pipes froze so I can't take a shower

So you're going for the Poli Sci masters? What happened to the Speech Pathology, takes too long? Guess it makes sense to get the masters that takes the least time if you want to get a uni job over here.

Want a gmail invite? Hanmail doesn't block gmail like it does with hotmail etc.
                        Stop Quoting Ben

Comment

Chinese government still evil, news at 11....

Thomson Reuters empowers professionals with cutting-edge technology solutions informed by industry-leading content and expertise.

N.Korea has executed 70 returned refugees - group
                          11 Feb 2005 04:11:28 GMT

Source: Reuters

SEOUL, Feb 11 (Reuters) - North Korea has executed about 70 refugees who were captured in China and sent home, a South Korean group that helps North Korean refugees said on Friday, citing informants in China.

The Commission to Help North Korean Refugees, a private, Seoul-based conservative group, said about eight or nine of the 70 executed last month were put to death in public to discourage others from trying to slip across the border into China.

No independent confirmation of the report was available but the group has been regarded as a reliable source of information on reclusive North Korea.

"What the North is aiming to do is to completely shut off the escape route and particularly refugees who try to flee for the second and third time," said a representative of the group, Kim Bum-soo.

China is North Korea's sole remaining important friend and often sends back North Koreans, who China regards as illegal immigrants and not as refugees.

As many as 300,000 North Korean refugees are believed to be hiding in China. South Korea has worked behind the scenes to press China to allow them Koreans to travel to the South.

Kim said the number of North Koreans crossing into China had fallen dramatically as a result of the executions.

A South Korean official who monitors the North said he had no knowledge of any such executions and no other groups that focus on human rights in North Korea have issued similar reports.

The commission has been critical of the South Korean government for taking what the group sees as a too lenient position on the North.

A former North Korean security agent who defected from his country said in a book that repatriated refugees are questioned by the North's National Security Agency about their motive for fleeing.

Most who were judged to have sought asylum in the South were executed, said Yoon Dae-il, who now lives in South Korea.
                          Stop Quoting Ben

Comment

Shame.
                            "I'm moving to the Left" - Lancer

"I imagine the neighbors on your right are estatic." - Slowwhand

Comment

What can be done, when the South Koreans themselves won't help?
                              No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

Working...
                              X