Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows XP SP2 breached

Blurb:

In October 2004 it was discovered by MaxPatrol team that it is possible to defeat Microsoft® Windows® XP SP2 Heap protection and Data Execution Prevention mechanism. As a result it is possible to implement:
    1. Arbitrary memory region write access (smaller or equal to 1016 bytes)
    2. Arbitrary code execution
    3. DEP bypass.
    Big ouch. Big big ouch. Back to the drawing board.
    (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
    (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
    (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

What? Again?

Windows XP is like that ugly girl at the pub which everyone's nailed.
    Only feebs vote.

Comment

Actually it'd be the super-hot girl, because everyone is gunning for her.
      “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
      - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Originally posted by Agathon
        What? Again?

Windows XP is like that ugly girl at the pub which everyone's nailed.
        The rest of the world calls them sheep, Agathon.
        Some cry `Allah O Akbar` in the street. And some carry Allah in their heart.
        "The CIA does nothing, says nothing, allows nothing, unless its own interests are served. They are the biggest assembly of liars and theives this country ever put under one roof and they are an abomination" Deputy COS (Intel) US Army 1981-84

Comment

Actually, only the stack protection has been "breached", and only on systems without NX/XD instructions (Athlon 64s, new Pentium 4s). NX/XD-supporting systems stop these cold.
          "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
          Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Since I'm not entirely confident you even know what NX/XD is, here's that site's blurb:
            On the 64-bit AMD K8 and Intel Itanium processor families, the CPU hardware can mark memory with an attribute that indicates that code should not be executed from that memory. This execution protection (NX) feature functions on a per-virtual memory page basis, most often changing a bit in the page table entry to mark the memory page.

On these processors, Windows XP Service Pack 2 uses the execution protection feature to prevent the execution of code from data pages. When an attempt is made to run code from a marked data page, the processor hardware raises an exception immediately and prevents the code from executing. This prevents attackers from overrunning a data buffer with code and then executing the code; it would have stopped the Blaster worm dead in its tracks.

Although the support for this feature is currently limited to 64-bit processors, Microsoft expects future 32-bit and 64-bit processors to provide execution protection.
            "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

Boo, where'd everyone go?

Having read the entire PDF now (I'm at work and bored), I have to wonder if anyone else who is making claims like "SP2 Breached" actually read it.

In addition to only affecting systems without NX/XD support ("software" DEP/"sandboxing" instead of "hardware"), it'll also require an exploitable memory error in a system component (there are none known right now) that uses a very specific method of heap allocation, including using heap lookaside lists (which are disabled by default).

In short, . The chances of this being an issue are slim to none, and it's more FUD from the people who claim to hate FUD.

You'd think the Linux geeks who keep buzzing about this would best spend their time upgrading their linux boxes.

There were 17 Linux kernel vulnerabilities recently...

It's front-page news when MS announces a few vulnerabilities, and it slips into obscurity when there's 17 Linux Kernel vulnerabilities recently...

Comment

The Linux people don't have enough money that anyone cares if anything bad happens to them.
                Why can't you be a non-conformist just like everybody else?

It's no good (from an evolutionary point of view) to have the physique of Tarzan if you have the sex drive of a philosopher. -- Michael Ruse
                The Nedaverse I can accept, but not the Berzaverse. There can only be so many alternate realities. -- Elok

Comment

Originally posted by Asher
                  In addition to only affecting systems without NX/XD support ("software" DEP/"sandboxing" instead of "hardware"), it'll also require an exploitable memory error in a system component (there are none known right now) that uses a very specific method of heap allocation, including using heap lookaside lists (which are disabled by default).
                  The NX support just gives people a false sense of security.

In short, . The chances of this being an issue are slim to none, and it's more FUD from the people who claim to hate FUD.
                  Heard about "smashing the stack" before? Buffer overruns is the single most critical thing to guard against. I wonder why the resident MS fanboy is downplaying this?

You'd think the Linux geeks who keep buzzing about this would best spend their time upgrading their linux boxes.
                  The funny thing is, updating to SP2 does little good.

Yet what are making the CERT list?

It's front-page news when MS announces a few vulnerabilities, and it slips into obscurity when there's 17 Linux Kernel vulnerabilities recently...
                  It's so amusing that MS types are telling us that how Windows is so much more secure than Linux, but even the vaulted SP2 is breached so fast, which enables buffer overruns of all things. "Trustworthy Computing" indeed.

Besides, MS failed to announce this, like usual.
                  (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                  (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                  (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Originally posted by Urban Ranger
                    The NX support just gives people a false sense of security.
                    So does using Linux or MacOS X, or anything where people tell you you need not worry about viruses.

What's interesting, and what my point was, was that NX/CD does prevent this kind of attack. In fact, this attack just does not work with NX-enabled systems. So saying it gives people a false-sense of security is rather irrelevant...

Heard about "smashing the stack" before? Buffer overruns is the single most critical thing to guard against. I wonder why the resident MS fanboy is downplaying this?
                    Where am I downplaying buffer overruns?

This exploit is possible on only non-NX systems, and only in a tiny fraction of possible buffer overrun exploits. That is my point.

And yes, I know about smashing the stack...and I apparently know more about it than you -- this exploit has nothing to do with the stack, it's a heap exploit (specifically when heap lookaside is on).

I can also lecture you on dtors, global offset table exploits, polymorphic shellcode, RST hijacking, and FMS attacks if you wish. For all the **** you guys give my university, you need to realize it is the only university with a hacking & virus writing course. I know more about this stuff than you, and more than you think.

Yet what are making the CERT list?
                    What point is it that you're trying to make?

The Linux kernel has 17 recent security vulnerabilities...some of which are remote, not local. When was the last time we even saw a Windows kernel vulnerability? In fact, that's an exercise up to the reader. Show me the last Windows NT kernel vulnerability...

It's so amusing that MS types are telling us that how Windows is so much more secure than Linux, but even the vaulted SP2 is breached so fast, which enables buffer overruns of all things. "Trustworthy Computing" indeed.
                    A system with one remote exploit like any one of the latest 17 Linux kernel vulnerabilies is just as insecure as a system with 150.

I don't expect you to understand, you're clearly the Slashdot type who don't know much about the subject. You have a vague high-level understanding, add on your bias and twist and FUD and suddenly it's just pathetic.

This issue has such a remote chance of happening that it's rather worthless. It's an incredibly contrived example that it's useless in the real world, and one that will likely be patched soon.

Comment

Shame on you, UR.

Comment

Actually it'd be the super-hot girl, because everyone is gunning for her.

How little you know of men.
                        Only feebs vote.

Comment

The Linux kernel has 17 recent security vulnerabilities...some of which are remote, not local. When was the last time we even saw a Windows kernel vulnerability? In fact, that's an exercise up to the reader. Show me the last Windows NT kernel vulnerability...
                          This is a slightly unfair comparison. The WindowsXP kernel has effectively been frozen for -- how long since it came out, three years now? The Linux kernel, specifically the 2.6 kernel, is being continually developed. And the deep hooks between that blasted Internet Explorer and the rest of Windows renders a kernel vulnerability somewhat irrelevant on a Windows box. You hardly need a kernel vulnerability when IE is such a piece of garbage.

At least the Linux 2.2 kernel is still actively maintained; if there were any new NT kernel vulnerabilites found, MS wouldn't fix it any more (I literally mean WindowsNT here, as it's fallen out of support. Hell, MS even gives Windows2000 the shaft to an extent, refusing to backport IE6 SP2 to it for instance).

That being said, I had to download a complete set of KDE 3.2 packages for Mandrake 10.1 for the fifth time last night, and that distro is barely three months old. Meanwhile the KDE developers are working on a beta of 3.4! Seems to me like they're racing ahead on features too much and neglecting security. And I can't get the latest Mandrake kernel to install either -- the bootloader script is crapping out for some obscure reason (and for which I've gotten no advice in two user forums either).

Neither camp is as good as it should be.
                          "If you doubt that an infinite number of monkeys at an infinite number of typewriters would eventually produce the combined works of Shakespeare, consider: it only took 30 billion monkeys and no typewriters." - Unknown

Comment

Originally posted by optimus2861
                            This is a slightly unfair comparison. The WindowsXP kernel has effectively been frozen for -- how long since it came out, three years now? The Linux kernel, specifically the 2.6 kernel, is being continually developed. And the deep hooks between that blasted Internet Explorer and the rest of Windows renders a kernel vulnerability somewhat irrelevant on a Windows box. You hardly need a kernel vulnerability when IE is such a piece of garbage.
                            Don't use IE.

At least the Linux 2.2 kernel is still actively maintained; if there were any new NT kernel vulnerabilites found, MS wouldn't fix it any more (I literally mean WindowsNT here, as it's fallen out of support.
                            Eh? Windows NT 4.0 still gets critical security vulnerabilities patched. The latest was on January 17, 2005...: http://www.computerweekly.com/articl...earch=&nPage=1

Support "officially" ended Dec 31, 2004, but critical patches are still being made available.

As for it being unfair -- it doesn't really matter. The XP kernel was modified as recently as Windows XP SP2, and the Windows XP kernel is from 2001. Many of the kernel vulnerabilities in my list affect 2.2, which predates Windows XP by over a year.

NT4 was launched in, what, 1995/1996? And it's still getting fixes ~10 years later?

Apple won't even provide fixes for anything older than a couple years, and I don't know if I've seen a recent Linux 1.x security fix.

Comment

Comment

Working...
                              X