No announcement yet.

2005 ACS Academy Awards Pool

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh, BS! Some treacly disease-of-the-week movie beats out The Aviator? Gimme-a-break!

Comment

MDB was a great movie!!

I didn't vote for it because I made my picks before I saw the movie. I guess I could have changed my picks, but I really didn't give a ****.

Comment

Scorcese got the shaft yet again!
        Lysistrata: It comes down to this: Only we women can save Greece.
        Kalonike: Only we women? Poor Greece!

Comment

No ****, Bipolar!

Comment

well that's that. I love the T2 music by the orchestra. One of my favourite movies.

Comment

Jaime Foxx's speech was great.

It says a lot about the Academy when you can accurately predict at least 7 out of the 8 major awards. I was hoping for at least one upset (such as Kate Winslet or Thomas Hayden Church). Ah well...

Oh, and Scorcese was robbed...yet again. Eastwood would've won any other year but last year for Mystic River, and this was just the Academy making amends. But Scorcese's got at least a good 10 years left, if he keeps his health.

Oh yeah, and can we give whoever thought we needed BeyonceX3 on our TV tonight deserves a Russell Crowe punch in the chin.
              "I predict your ignore will rival Ben's" - Ecofarm
              ^ The Poly equivalent of:
              "I hope you can see this 'cause I'm [flipping you off] as hard as I can" - Ignignokt the Mooninite

Comment

Well it isn't like The Aviator was Scorcese's best work. Perhaps he was deserving of Gangs of New York, but not this year. Glad MDB won though. Good flick.
                “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Not too sure how the Academy can make "amends" to one director already with an Oscar (for both Directing and Picture) over making "amends" to an even greater director who doesn't have an Oscar in either category.

Comment

get this. maybe they don't make amends at all, but actually vote for the film or actor most deserving.

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
                      Well it isn't like The Aviator was Scorcese's best work. Perhaps he was deserving of Gangs of New York, but not this year. Glad MDB won though. Good flick.
                      Gangs of New York was an unqualified mess, with noted film historian Peter Biskind calling it Scorcese's Heaven's Gate. The Aviator was a much better film, though it wasn't perfect and was not his best. I thought The Aviator was the best live-action movie I saw all year.

And more - it was better than Million Dollar Baby.

Comment

Originally posted by Dissident
                        get this. maybe they don't make amends at all, but actually vote for the film or actor most deserving.
                        Last year proves the lie to that argument.

Comment

Btw, Laura and I saw Sideways today and found it totally unworthy of its B. Picture nomination, especially in a year with The Incredibles, Fahrenheit 9/11, and even Passion of the Christ in it. Sorry, Sideways, but I declare you to be Unworthy. You're not even 1/4 the film that Election was.

Comment

And more - it was better than Million Dollar Baby.

Perhaps this isn't the best argument, but IMDB ratings:

Million Dollar Baby - 8.4 (#103 in IMDB's top 250)
                            Aviator - 7.6 (not in the Top 250)

Rotten Tomatoes:

Million Dollar Baby - 92% Fresh (95% - Cream of the Crop, 8.6/10 - average rating)
                            Aviator - 89% Fresh (81% - Cream of the Crop, 7.5/10 - average rating)
                            “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”

Comment

Oh, and speaking of Sideways:

Rotten Tomatoes:
                              96% Fresh (97% - Cream of the Crop, 8.7/10 - average rating)

IMDB:
                              8.1 (#188 in Top 250)

Sooo... Sideways seems to have more than a little of a claim to be where it was .

Comment

that proves it.

Imran is right, JohnT is wrong.

Comment

Working...
                                X