X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OK - OK I posted a very unfair post.
    I just wanted to post something that really rattled everyones cage
    I seem to have succeded all to well.

Besides I am providing some of you with great free entertainment by showing your skills at slamming knuckleheads. So as a way of amends you get one free jab at me as long as the insult is done with flair and style.

Proteus_MST

Originally posted by Boris Godunov

Quite true. If only Creationists would listen to the wisdom of Aquinas, who admonished Christians not to challenge science with their religious beliefs, but rather to incorporate science into those beliefs. And just making up a term like ID and claiming it's scientific--which it isn't--doesn't cut it.
    I agree with you and Boris.I am not ready to incorporate science to quickly however.It has been wrong almost as much as religion.

The problem isn´t with people believing in god,
    but with people believing that everything written within the bible is literally true
    It is usually a problem with translation from ancient to modern language. This may sound like a bogus argument unless you have invested the years in study it takes to make an educated opinion on this paticular subject.

Let me give you an example of a recent translation study of mine.

Authorized Version
    "Wherefore I say unto you, All manner of sin and blasphemy shall be forgiven unto men: but the blasphemy against the Holy Ghost shall not be forgiven unto men."

Aramaic
    All types of tangled behavior, the missing and falling, the rips and tears -- all the ways you cut yourself off, break your connection, or disrupt the pattern -- can and will be mended. Sooner or later, you will be freed from error, your mistakes embraced with emptiness, your arrhythmic action returned to the original beat. But your state cannot be mended or repaired, when you cut yourself off from the Source of all rhythm -- the inhaling, the exhaling of all air, wind, and atmosphere, seen and unseen -- the Holy Breath.

So you see language is an extreem barrier. These writers were not the ignorant nomads of the desert that they have been painted to be, just mistranslated and misunderstood.

When I say I have been in school forever. Does that mean literally I have been in an infinite experience of school? I just can`t seem to graduate
    This is what is meant buy " the whole world was covered buy a flood".
    It was an expression that the fundies choose to make an issue out of. They choose to make the word "world" the literal earth.
    BTW just about every ancient Civilization has a record of the Great Flood that covered the whole Earth. Babylonian, Hittite, Assyrian etc.

What happened to the Dinosaurs?
    They died - that in no way controverts the scriptural account. Just perceived and interjected concepts into the scripture.

so that the only conclusions can be, that you can only believe in the literal truth of the bible, if you abandon most of the modern natural sciences.
    That is not the only conclusion you can come to. For example the Big Bang - in no way controverts the scriptural account of the universe if both are contemplated with an open mind.

Perhaps the truth is somewhere in the middle, not exclusive of each other. After all the scripture has contributed to the betterment of mankind and so has science.

The hardcore will say that religion has caused wars and all that.
    And science caused Hiroshima and Nagasaki so it is a more badder evil - worse even then Thor and Mars.

Spiffor

Apolyton isn't like that: you are free to voice your opinion, and you are free to be exposed to the criticisms of others.
    I only wish that were true, I was warned for presenting an argument in defense of scripture as viable history. The critics were allowed all of their last parting statements and I was not.
    I do not want to provide a link for obvious reasons but I am being as objective as I can.

Immortal Wombat

you use the slightest amount of intelligence which the blind forces of natural selection gave you, and understand evolutionary theory in its entirety before you attempt to pick holes in it with no scientifically rigorous counter-hypothesis.
    I believe in evolution of the species to a degree, It just does not answer any questions about your or my existence. So debating with classic creationists is a moot point.
    I also believe that the scripture contains great wisdom that is poo poo`d because it has not been understood, especially buy fundamentalist Christians. I believe there were men who had a handle on self- existence that wrote some of the books of scripture.

Last Conformist

The total amount of responses to creationists posted on this forum alone must run into the hundreds of pages.
    You are right I was wrong and I apologize - can this sin be forgiven?

GePap

Its not a religion, as there are no rites nor acts to be performed with any regularity
    Faith defines a religion not its ceremonies.

If you give us non-literary evidence for creationist claims
    Well how do I read your post and respond then?

How do you argue faith? Faith is by definition beyond arguement
    Well said. and this is true also with Darwinism.

But at its very heart science is and can't be a faith- its the opposite of faith, it is seeking understanding through experimentation and complete skepticism unless adequate proof is given
    Science is subjective reasoning (hypothesis ie:faith) until it has been proven wrong.

Boris Godunov

The entire point is that neither Creationism nor ID are "cogent, well though out" lines of reasoning.
    I agree as far as classic creationism goes. Classic Christianity is probably the largest cause of Atheism today. They argue myth and from a lack of understanding, that in no way controverts creationism properly understood.

I see no such zeal on the part of evolutionary biologists to demonize Creationists.
    That is just not true. For the most part I agree with you, I would just like to add that both try to downplay and denegrate each other. In my original post I was trying (albeit not very well) to point this out.

I find the notion of a conspiratorial cabal of scientists seeking to exclude some sort of "cogent" Creationist scientific theory out of some atheistic crusade pretty amusing.
    Where did I say all this? Talk about debating yourself(strawman)

The false dichotomy that one is either a Creationist or an Atheist Evilutionist is the product of Creationists,not scientists.
    For the most part I agree but I think it is unfair to exclude Evolutionists. They are almost as guilty. They assert without proper facts and study that there is no God. Atheism as well as classic creationism asserts facts that are not proven at all.

If there were any scientific merit to Creationism, scientists would be beating a path to it. But they aren't, and it's not out of an exclusionary snobbery, it's because, simply put, there is no scientific validity to Creationism.
    That is just not true. Have you been keeping up with the latest quantum physics models?

Second, how else would you expect "science" to proceed except under the assumption that only "scientific" hypotheses should be considered "science?" Should scientists be investigating unicorns and elves and fairies?
    A hypothesis is faith. And where faith is concerned why don`t Atheistic Evolutionists try including previous conclusions by experts in faith like Gautama, Lao Tzu, and Jesus and try a few experiments.

Chemical Ollie

beingofone, feel free to propose an alternative theory and back it up with observations
    Cool - wanting new theories is the wisdom of learning. Creation is taking place this very second and the next second a brand new creation exists. The only thing that remains constant is self-existence and awareness.
    The only constant in the entire universe is change so carry that thought to its logical conclusion.

quantum
    You have made peace with the evil Wheredehekowi tribe-we demand you tell us if they are a tribe that is playing this scenario.
    We also agree not to crush you, if you teach us the tech of warp drive and mental telepathy and give 10 trinkets

Comment

Originally posted by beingofone

Faith is by definition beyond argument

Really. So no one can 'argue' with Darwinism, because Darwin's theories are akin to the doctrine of the immaculate conception, or transsubstantiation, or predestination, or the trinity?

Care to show us how?
      Vive la liberte. Noor Inayat Khan, Dachau.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

Upon which lies your fallacious argument. The whole point of good science like evolution (note Darwinism to me is evolution in the 19th century, I'll stick with evolution 2005 as a safer bet than evolution 1860) is that it does not require faith, in other words one concurs with it rationally. Scientific fact is provisional in that respect, we accept it until something better comes along (which admittedly many scientists do not respect, but they're scientists not philosophers and I am not representative of them). This is a good thing because it allows us to talk about facts, since "faith" facts, in other words absolute facts are a contradiction in terms, as faith and reason are contradictory to a given end. Whereupon faith and reason are not contradictory (i.e., one needs faith in reason as the supposition which leads to science) is irrelevant, since if one lacks that faith the conclusion is Diogenes in his barrel. Science is not a faith, evolution is not beyond arguments. Ones subjective faith is beyond categorical argument, but that also means one cannot communicate it in a categorical sense, i.e. belief/faith in god |= scientific argument for god, and belief/faith in god = less able to reason for god/creation.
        "I work in IT so I'd be buggered without a computer" - Words of wisdom from Provost Harrison
        "You can be wrong AND jewish" - Wiglaf :love:

Comment

Originally posted by beingofone
          I agree as far as classic creationism goes. Classic Christianity is probably the largest cause of Atheism today. They argue myth and from a lack of understanding, that in no way controverts creationism properly understood.
          Couldn't disagree more. Atheism is not a reaction to Christianity. That's a pretty self-important belief there. My atheism has nothing to do with rejecting Christianity, it has to do with me being of a skeptical mind when it comes to claims of the supernatural and metaphysical.

Your line about "properly understood" Creationism doesn't say much to me at all, because there is no definition of such a thing. Why should I think your interpretation has any more validity than others?

That is just not true. For the most part I agree with you, I would just like to add that both try to downplay and denegrate each other. In my original post I was trying (albeit not very well) to point this out.
          And I disagree on the part of those (the scientists) that study and formulated the theories of evolution. These people, by and large, are not ones acting out of a religious agenda, but are simply seeking scientific discovery. When you imply, directly or not, that they ignore another vaild theory out of bias, it's basically unsubstantiated slander.

Where did I say all this? Talk about debating yourself(strawman)
          When you conflate Evolution and Atheism, you inherently make such a false dichotomy. As I said, when you imply scientists are excluding Creationism out of some agenda, you're basically saying this is the case, since 99.9% of all biologists accept evolution to be fact.

For the most part I agree but I think it is unfair to exclude Evolutionists. They are almost as guilty. They assert without proper facts and study that there is no God. Atheism as well as classic creationism asserts facts that are not proven at all.
          Evolution != Atheism. I've said this several times already. Conflating the two is simply wrong.

That is just not true. Have you been keeping up with the latest quantum physics models?
          Nothing about quantum theory so far suggests any ID. This is again just bald supposition on the part of IDists that hasn't any factual support.

A hypothesis is faith.
          No, a hypothesis is a guess based on the evidence at hand as to why something occurs. It then is tested, which you are completely ignoring. A hypothesis incapable of being tested (like ID) is not scientific, and therefore not science. There is a big difference between making wild guesses and formulating scientific hypotheses.

And where faith is concerned why don`t Atheistic Evolutionists try including previous conclusions by experts in faith like Gautama, Lao Tzu, and Jesus and try a few experiments.
          "Atheistic Evolutionists..." There you go again.

What scientific experiments would you suggest to test any of the "conclusions" of the above mentioned men? I am very curious to see this. Do you have any clue what scientific method means?
          Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

UR - you aren't a biologist, are you? Since I'm planning on learning Linux soon, I'll post for your help on that, but leave the biology to those of use who follow it like you do computing. . Here's some biology clarifications for creationist nitpicking.

First, our genetic code has LOTS of junk data that is simply not used. Now the amounts vary, because some things which we assumed are redundant (why do we need 20 copies of the gene) turned out not to be. However, even correcting for that, most of the genetic data on the chromosones is junk.

That in fact is one of the ways to measure genetic drift between species. Find an area of definitive junk DNA and look at the random changes between two related species. The number of mutations is a fairly good indicator. You can't use active DNA because so many mutations are lethal (like almost any mutation in an enzyme).

The sea depth increase similarly wouldn't crush the fish, they typically adjust to pressure very nicely (sudden changes can cause lethal damage to the swim bladder, but we are talking sudden changes due to winching specimen collecting nets out of th depths). Now the change of salinity, PH (not mentioned, I've bred various types of tropical fish, and I would bet on the changes in PH or temperature killing the fish off before salinity changed enough), and temperature would probably turn the ocean into biological deserts. You don't need boiling water - you just need a change that exceeds the fishes enzymatic adaptablility, which is highly temprature dependent. The only think that would survive are some of the highly adaptable brackish water fish (of a world-wide Noah's flood).

The salt sink problem is absurd. You have to argue that all the water being added had exact amounts of preplanned salt deposits sitting there. Occam's razor starts getting really sharp for such absurdist arguments. Add in the PH and temperature problems, and the Noah's flood argument starts getting absurd.

Now as to various forms of radioactive isotope dating (forgive me if I'm a bit pedantic here, I've lived in the Bible Belt now for just over twenty years, and have been over this many times) I have a simple argument for any creationist. YOU go walk into a nuclear reactor core with no protection. If your arguments against certain types of radioactive isotope dating are correct, nothing will happen. Just please notify me first so I can take out an insurance policy.

Those who argue that Evolution is just a theory and that Darwin was wrong are morons that don't even understand the scientific process (as noted by other posters). That's like using Freud to disprove all of modern psychology. It's totally absurd. Now if they want to discuss Puntuated Equilibrium (google it) - but I guess that has too many syllables.

What's utterly ridiculous is that it's not in Biology we find evidence of Divine intervention, but in Physics. Some physicists determined that if certain basic forces were different by 0.1 percent - as in .001 - an earth where life could evolve would never have existed.

www.religion-online.org/showchapter.asp?title=2237&C=2069

ajtp.iusb.edu/Back%20Issues/May2001CompleteIssue.pdf

If you get in an argument with a creationist, mention these postulates that at make more telling case for divine intervention. If like handing them a "Turn me over" card witht that printed on both sides, it can keep them SO busy. Of course since they want to have a Theistic God they sometimes catch on to the problem, that this process has nothing to do with any religious orthodoxy on earth, it just shows that there is a plausible argument someone set the beginning numbers (please note I said plausible, not definitive). I find that argument fascinating.
            The worst form of insubordination is being right - Keith D., marine veteran. A dictator will starve to the last civilian - self-quoted
            And on the eigth day, God realized it was Monday, and created caffeine. And behold, it was very good. - self-quoted
            Klaatu: I'm impatient with stupidity. My people have learned to live without it.
            Mr. Harley: I'm afraid my people haven't. I'm very sorry… I wish it were otherwise.

Comment

Originally posted by shawnmmcc
              What's utterly ridiculous is that it's not in Biology we find evidence of Divine intervention, but in Physics. Some physicists determined that if certain basic forces were different by 0.1 percent - as in .001 - an earth where life could evolve would never have existed.
              That's still a ridiculous argument. Just cuz we won the lottery doesnt mean devine intervention was involved. If things had been different, we wouldn't be here to appreciate the difference. It's kinda like saying, wow, it's sure good the Hawaiian Islands existed or there wouldn't be any Hawaiians.

Of course you know all that, but if you give creationists in inch, they'll claim a mile.
              Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

The trouble with some scientists is lack of philosophy. How would they be aware of Leibniz and the Principle of Sufficient Reason, that completely blows ID out of the water?
                "I work in IT so I'd be buggered without a computer" - Words of wisdom from Provost Harrison
                "You can be wrong AND jewish" - Wiglaf :love:

Comment

I'm amused by the thought that the waters for the flood came from reservoirs in the top 10km of the crust. To flood the earth completely would require some 9km's worth of extra water. What the heck replaced the water in the gargantuan cavities required to host it all? And what happened to said humongous cavities?
                  Why can't you be a non-conformist just like everybody else?

It's no good (from an evolutionary point of view) to have the physique of Tarzan if you have the sex drive of a philosopher. -- Michael Ruse
                  The Nedaverse I can accept, but not the Berzaverse. There can only be so many alternate realities. -- Elok

Comment

Another one rides the bus:
                    OK - OK I posted a very unfair post.
                    I just wanted to post something that really rattled everyones cage
                    I seem to have succeded all to well.

Besides I am providing some of you with great free entertainment by showing your skills at slamming knuckleheads. So as a way of amends you get one free jab at me as long as the insult is done with flair and style.
                    PWND!!!111!!!
                    So get your Naomi Klein books and move it or I'll seriously bash your faces in! - Supercitizen to stupid students
                    Be kind to the nerdiest guy in school. He will be your boss when you've grown up!

Comment

• Originally posted by chegitz guevara

quote:
                      Originally posted by shawnmmcc

That's still a ridiculous argument. Just cuz we won the lottery doesnt mean devine intervention was involved. If things had been different, we wouldn't be here to appreciate the difference. It's kinda like saying, wow, it's sure good the Hawaiian Islands existed or there wouldn't be any Hawaiians.

Of course you know all that, but if you give creationists in inch, they'll claim a mile.

And it's even more ridiculous when one considers that there could very possibly be an infinite number of universes and that thus, there are an infinite number of chances for an universe such as our own to have possibly arisen, even WITHOUT aid from a Divine Source.

Just becasue something is very unlikely to have happened doesn't mean that God needs to have created it as such.

An a posteriori (after the fact) proof means little. Some might argue that because a child exists, there must be a parent and then attempt to extend this matter to the universe, stating that the universe is the child and God is the parent... but that's a bit of a leap in judgement. How does one KNOW that a universe requires a GOD? It may just requrie the random assortment of matter in an unending, unyielding plane where spontaneous generation of matter happens all the time, inexorably creating universe after universe.
                      -->Visit CGN!
                      -->"Production! More Production! Production creates Wealth! Production creates more Jobs!"-Wendell Willkie -1944

Comment

• I'm amused by the thought that the waters for the flood came from reservoirs in the top 10km of the crust. To flood the earth completely would require some 9km's worth of extra water. What the heck replaced the water in the gargantuan cavities required to host it all? And what happened to said humongous cavities?
                        Magic. Black Magic. Evil Magic. Which is why those who practice magic are in league with the Devil and should be burned.
                        -->Visit CGN!
                        -->"Production! More Production! Production creates Wealth! Production creates more Jobs!"-Wendell Willkie -1944

Comment

• Well, I'd just like to point out that if the Flood was a divine Wrath miracle, the water came from the sky. Where it was created/sent by God. And clearly he started removing it later to allow the waters to recede. Easily answered.

That's actually the catch-all answer young-Earth creationists, strange bunch that they are, should use more often. God does all these miracles in the Old Testament? Why not here? God wants some differently-eroded mountain ranges to spice things up, of course. I mean, invoke God and you can't lose, except when you try to explain why God set things up in a way consistent with the Earth being far older, and if this is some kind of gigantic practical joke.
                          All syllogisms have three parts.
                          Therefore this is not a syllogism.

Comment

• Darkcloud, I don't disagree with your premise. I find the Divine setting the proper constants idea plausible, not definitive. The trillion universe lottery theory is also plausible. I'm never going to know, and the existance of an eternal soul/caring god is something that is moot - if that is not the case, then in dying I won't find out, I'll cease to exist or I will find out, and will discover if He is a merciful God - if he's an angry God, well I'm pwnd anyway.

Snowfire, the Flood/young earth miracle theory is the one I use the radioactive dating argument with. The creationists get all huffy, but I stand very strongly by my point. If Uranium decay (used in dating older rocks/fossils) is not a reliable indicator, go walk into a nuclear reactor. I simply try to avoid such people, and as long as they don't try to put their creationism into my daughter's school system, I'm willing to agree to disagree (actually I realize the futility in disagreeing, it took me the first decade of living in the Bible Belt to truly comprehend how useless a discussion with those individuals is).

For those that want to put so-called Creation Science into the public school room, I ask if they are willing to teach the Hindu creation story complete with elephants, turtle, etc. When they inevitably reply that's different, I inform them very matter-of-factly that is why we ended up with a wall between church and state. It took the Supreme Court the better part of a century to put it in place, but they finally realized in the late 1800's that local religious groups recognized by local governments are very bad about sharing with other local religious groups (happened up in New England with the spread of the Unitarians - local taxes were used to support the local Church that the town father's liked). So they finally forced the severence of all such ties.
                            The worst form of insubordination is being right - Keith D., marine veteran. A dictator will starve to the last civilian - self-quoted
                            And on the eigth day, God realized it was Monday, and created caffeine. And behold, it was very good. - self-quoted
                            Klaatu: I'm impatient with stupidity. My people have learned to live without it.
                            Mr. Harley: I'm afraid my people haven't. I'm very sorry… I wish it were otherwise.

Comment

• I like elephants and turtles.
                              “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                              "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

• We just had our first Hindu temple consecrated here a couple of years ago - where I live has become a fairly major medical center doing some world class research, and we have a fair number of people there of Indian extraction working there and in IT. That's why I use that example locally.

Comment

Working...
                                X