Fried Chicken

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fried Chicken

The third in my series of completely unpolitical threads.

Give us your friend chicken recipes!

Fried chicken is considers Southern food, but in reailty, it's world wide. I mean, flour, chicken, oil, it's pretty simple.

The best fried chicken I remember having is from a place called Colonel Lee's, in Nebraska, but that's a childhood memory. There's a legendary fried chicken place in Frakenmouth, Michigan, all you can eat fried chicken and mashed potatoes. I've always wanted to go there. Funny thing, since I've moved south, I haven't had any FC that wasn't from KFC.

So, share your fried chicken recipes! Ironically, I, the great Apolyton chef, do not have one.
    Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Honestly, fried chicken is one of my least favorite foods....and I call myself a Southerner, for shame!
    Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/DaveDaDouche
    Read my seldom updated blog where I talk to myself: http://davedadouche.blogspot.com/

Comment

Fried Chicken is only good if you put a lot of spicy items on it.
      "Yay Apoc!!!!!!!" - bipolarbear
      "At least there were some thoughts went into Apocalypse." - Urban Ranger
      "Apocalype was a great game." - DrSpike
      "In Apoc, I had one soldier who lasted through the entire game... was pretty cool. I like apoc for that reason, the soldiers are a bit more 'personal'." - General Ludd

Comment

Hmmm...don't have any recipes, but...

Fried Chicken PWNZ
        We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

The best fried chicken I remember having is from a place called Colonel Lee's, in Nebraska, but that's a childhood memory.

Where is this at? I have a week to find it...
          KH FOR OWNER!
          ASHER FOR CEO!!
          GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

I don't have a fried chicken recipe- I can do you a chicken curry, or tagine of chicken, but not fried.
            Vive la liberte. Noor Inayat Khan, Dachau.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

Re: Fried Chicken

Originally posted by chegitz guevara
              The revolution is lost!

Blah

Comment

I love fried chicken. I do not like it slathered with any sauce. I also am not wild about cornbread or cornmeal crusts- in essence, I don't like the sweet fried chicken.

The best I have ever had? I have had to much in too many places-in Panama, in NYC, in Chicago.

Of the fast food places, long long ago KFC seemed great, but in the last decade, it is really gone way down. Popeyes is vastly better. Church's is mediocre at best. Harrolds in Chicago was great, I think the most authentic of all the chains I have seen.
                If you don't like reality, change it! me
                "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
                "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
                "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Re: Fried Chicken

Originally posted by chegitz guevara

Give us your friend chicken recipes!

Fried chicken is considers Southern food, but in reailty, it's world wide. I mean, flour, chicken, oil, it's pretty simple.

The best fried chicken I remember having is from a place called Colonel Lee's, in Nebraska, but that's a childhood memory. There's a legendary fried chicken place in Frakenmouth, Michigan, all you can eat fried chicken and mashed potatoes. I've always wanted to go there. Funny thing, since I've moved south, I haven't had any FC that wasn't from KFC.

So, share your fried chicken recipes! Ironically, I, the great Apolyton chef, do not have one.
                  I've eaten at the place in Frankenmouth - trust me, you can get more than chicken and potatos there. Their chicken was OK, not heavenly as I was expecting.

At one time, when we both were kids Che, fried chicken was the single most-ordered item at sitdown roadside diners, now it is almost impossible to find other than KFC. That's because America changed, and the idea of regularly eating fried chicken became anathmea to anybody who wanted to at least believe they were healthy.

Fvck them. Losers.

My fried chicken recipe is simple: Flour, salt, pepper, oil, chicken pieces (you can also do boneless breasts, make your own nuggets, wings, etc with this timeless recipe), frying pan, tongs, paper towels, meat thermometer, soap and Windex (for cleaning).

Wash the thawed chicken. Put flour, pepper, salt (about two tablespoons salt per 8 ounces of flour) in a large covered bowl, shake until well mixed. Put 2-3 chicken pieces in bowl, cover, shake, remove. Repeat until you're out of chicken.

Heat the oil 'til it pops when you flick a bubble of water on it, once that's possible, throw your chicken in (My range goes to 10, I usually set it at 8 and then turn it down to 7 once the chicken is in - your mileage may vary). For boneless breasts, cook one side about 10 minutes, flip, cook side 2 for about 15 minutes, flip to side 1 for another 10-15, flip side 2 to even up color with side 1. Take the thickest one out and use the meat thermometer - poultry is fine at 170F, and starts to dry out when it hits 180, and is seriously overcooked at 190.

Wings, Legs, Thighs, and Breasts all take different times to cook, so if you have mixed pieces, throw them in at this order: B, T, L, W. Cooked alone or with other wings, wings can be done in as little as 10 minutes if you've got it going.
                  Last edited by JohnT; December 29, 2004, 10:34.

Comment

To make Buffalo wings:

Buy a bottle of Texas Pete. Put it in bowl. Place wings in bowl, cover with plate. Shake bowl for about 15 seconds, looking away as you lift the lid. Remove wings, put on plate with a couple of paper towels on it, let wings drain for about 30 seconds.

Comment

I never considered Buffalo wings fried chicken- when I think fried chicken, I think plain, or large pieces.

I do like buttermilk chicken- take the chicken, defrost it, soak it in buttermilk overnight- take it out, and flour them, making sure that its not too wet (to avoid dangerous oil flareups, then fry- similar then to JohnT's recipe.

One would have hoped the Atkins movement would bring back fried chicken, but of course, we all know that flour will kill yah

Comment

Mmmm.. fried chicken. There are few things better in this world.
                        “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                        - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
                          Mmmm.. fried chicken. There are few things better in this world.
                          Burgers

Comment

Fried chicken

I've never attempted making my own fried chicken, but KFC's chicken is great.

Comment

I've never attempted making my own fried chicken, but KFC's chicken is great.

UGGHH!

I don't know why, but I used to like thier stuff, but now find it terrible.

If you can, find a Popeyes, is MUCH better chicken.

As for making your own, its not complicated, but it does take time and needs care.

Comment

Working...
                              X