Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ARTICLE: Cloudy Skies Knock Out Anti-Missile Defense!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by chegitz guevara

Yet again, you ignore what I said to go off on how we're demanding perfection and saying it will never work. :rolleyeys: At this point I can only conclude you are trolling, since we have repeated time and again, that is not the case.

It's funny. People ***** and moan about buying buggy software that just needs a patch. The "missile shield" isn't even in a pre-release version, but we're being forced to shell out $20 billion. Again, how would you feel about being forced to buy and use a "proof of concept" piece of software?

It may be the case that in a decade or so this will work. That's fine. Let's go ahead and continue spending money trying to see if we can make it work. Given the test results we currently have, however, it is a waste of money to build a unit, not for testing, but for actual defense. It's also dangerous, cuz once it exists, policy makers will forget that this system hasn't succeeded at anything approximating a real test, but has only been able to hit the equivalent of the broad side of a barn from the inside of that barn with the doors and windows closed.

This is the equivalent of the United States building an airforce ten years before Orvile and Wilber Wright flew at Kitty Hawk. It's the equivalent of trying to send a man to the moon on a rocket built by Goddard. We aren't saying the technology will never work. We aren't saying it won't work now because it's a crazy idea. We are saying, based on the actual tests and results it does not work.

It has succeeded in five out of eight tests in tests. Thats about a 60% chance of success. This, however, is the equivalent of giving a student all the answers on a math test, and his getting 60% of the answers right, and then expecting him to be able to do the math on his own. It's a farce.

The tests only succeeded because:

1) The test targets were fired on an outbound trajectory. This enabled the ABM tracking system to track the missile from launch, giving it more time to calculate a trajectory. This will not be the case for an inbound missile.

2) The test missiles had homing beacons on them. This enabled the ABM to not only track the target but home in on it in flight. Three times it still missed. The enemy is not going to put a hmoing beacon on their missiles.

3) No counter measures, such as dummy warheads, smoke, etc. If they can't deal with this problem, then there's no point in even bothering with the program.

I am sure all these problems can be overcome in time. What I do not want, however, is to be forced to spend $20 billion on a pre-alpha system that can't surmount even one of these issues.

Is that being too demanding?
    It seems to me that your 'deployment' is simply the next needed step in development.

You would scream no matter what was done. You don't like it. As you said, you value no American city over one in Korea. I think your adminstration and Congress does. I should hope to hell they do. I live on one of the many trajectories that one of those less than smart bombs may make their way.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

• Incidently, there is **** all anyone could do about a rocket launched from NK to SK, or maybe Japan.

Your insistence that if they are vulnerable, so must the US and the rest of NA is simply... bizarre.

It's like someone saying that someone will die on the highways this year, therefore it would be irresponsible for anyone to wear a seatbealt.
      (\__/)
      (='.'=)
      (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

• Originally posted by notyoueither
        Incidently, there is **** all anyone could do about a rocket launched from NK to SK, or maybe Japan.

Your insistence that if they are vulnerable, so must the US and the rest of NA is simply... bizarre.
        Is somebody saying that? I missed it.
        Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

• You seem very excusing of the man, Q. Very good. Maybe you are right and I am wrong, or the other way around. However, I see no point in continuing to argue whether the reoccupation of the Rhineland was a good idea or not.

i wasn't arguing anything about the rhineland, godwin. even figuratively. and you think i'm excusing either of them?

you think i like this guy? i'm speechless.

quite frankly, i'm sorry you feel that way. because when the **** hits the fan, it's not your family who's going into the blender.

Perhaps you would make issue with the idea that he acts like a threat.

are you purposefully dense? i'm arguing that he acts like a threat simply because that's the only way he feels he can get attention or capital into his country. period. how is acting like a threat automagically turning them into an insane freak? the soviet leaders and the chinese leaders for years have been a threat. were they all insane? the taiwanese leader has always been a threat to the chinese, was he insane?

being a threat and rattling your saber does not necessarily make you crazy is all i'm saying.

Perhaps you would inhabit lala land and scream at the visitors that black is white and white is black.

here's what i fear.
          the crazy person always talks ****, is unpredictable, but when they actually throw the punch, there's no force. it's all sound and fury, nothing substantive.
          the diabolical person who acts crazy talks ****, is unpredictable, and throws random punches that you can avoid. but that's all distraction, 'cause he's sharpening knives elsewhere.

i'm arguing kim's the latter, not the former. you're arguing that we should just be dealing with the former aspect of him.
          B♭3

Comment

• So DPRK fired a missile over Japan. Okay, how does it make for an argument for the US to deploy the missile shield?

(\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
            (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
            (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

• Originally posted by chegitz guevara

Is somebody saying that? I missed it.
              What were you trying to say then?

Originally posted by notyoueither
              No, actually, I am saying it is prudent to take precautions to defend North America against him, and others who might turn out like him.
              Originally posted by chegitz guevara
              I don't value a North American city over Seoul, except maybe the one I'm living in. Kim already has the capacity to kill a million human beings within a few hours...
              (\__/)
              (='.'=)

Comment

• Originally posted by Q Cubed
                here's what i fear.
                the crazy person always talks ****, is unpredictable, but when they actually throw the punch, there's no force. it's all sound and fury, nothing substantive.
                the diabolical person who acts crazy talks ****, is unpredictable, and throws random punches that you can avoid. but that's all distraction, 'cause he's sharpening knives elsewhere.

i'm arguing kim's the latter, not the former. you're arguing that we should just be dealing with the former aspect of him.
                So, he's unpredictable, and he's sharpening knives, but the United States should take no steps to improve protection for North America, is that it? Have I got that straight?

I'm actually arguing that no matter how you paint him, Kim is a threat, and the the United States should do what is reasonable to protect against that threat from him or any other source.

btw, it ain't Godwin when it is appropriate. When people ignore the events of the '30s, it is entirely appropriate to remind them.
                (\__/)
                (='.'=)

Comment

• Originally posted by notyoueither
                  What were you trying to say then?
                  I certainly wasn't saying that if the Koreans are vunerable, we have to be vulnerable. I will, however, concede that my point wasn't coherent, and could easily lead to that conclusion. In fact, I don't even know what I was trying to say, except that it wasn't how you interpreted it.
                  Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

• Fair enough.
                    (\__/)
                    (='.'=)

Comment

• UR, how many NMD threads have there been in the last couple of years? Fifteen? Each time the same arguments get trotted out, each time they are summarily shot down.

-----------

The "irrational leader" scenario doesn't hold water. It assumes that a "nutcase" or desperate leader might not be deterred by MAD, yet for some never-explained reason would be deterred by an ABM system.

Why would a leader determined to nuke the US - determined despite the likely dire consequences - simply give up because he couldn't do it via ICBM? Why wouldn't he just deliver the goods using another delivery platform?

This argument just doesn't make sense.
                      Official Homepage of the HiRes Graphics Patch for Civ2

Comment

• Building this system is like spending a small fortune to burglar-proof the chimney of a house that has no locks on its windows or doors.

Would the house be any more secure? No.

Even if the anti-burglar chimney system was 100% effective, the house would be no more secure as long as the doors and windows could not be locked.

The owner would simply be poorer by one small fortune. Or worse, the owner may develop a false sense of security and forget about his doors and windows hanging open.

Debating the potential level of effectiveness of the chimney system is not useful. Even at 100% it's useless. Debating whether or not there exists a burglar who would bypass an open door to try the chimney is equally pointless. As a defensive system, it is simply of nil value as long as the doors and windows cannot be secured.
                        Official Homepage of the HiRes Graphics Patch for Civ2

Comment

• The "irrational leader" scenario doesn't hold water. It assumes that a "nutcase" or desperate leader might not be deterred by MAD, yet for some never-explained reason would be deterred by an ABM system.

What does deterrence have to do with it? The "irrational leader" scenario is presented as the case when we would actually have to use the ABD system to shoot down a nuke.

Comment

• So, he's unpredictable, and he's sharpening knives, but the United States should take no steps to improve protection for North America, is that it? Have I got that straight?

go back and read the one and only post where i reference ABM. i don't mind ABM, i just don't think this system works, and for you to say that this is the system we should rely on... when riding a bike, i'd rather pay $500 for a helmet that'll stop me from getting a broken neck, rather than pay $500 for a helmet that's nothing more than paper. if i can't get the real helmet, then why not save up for it, while spending the rest of the money to get kneepads and what not?

you'll see that virtually all of my posts have been arguing against the notion that kim is some wild-eyed psycho. he's not. if you look at his behavior, he does play the part perfectly, but what happens when he gets what he wants? he disappears for a while, and builds up a new deck of card tricks. then he waits for an opportune moment to--OMFG HE'S FSCKING CRAZY AGAIN! each time, he walks away with what he wants.
                            B♭3

Comment

• The missile shield is not only ineffective, as many pointed out, and it's not only useless even if it were effective, as mindseye said. It's also dangerous because it provokes a new round or arms race.

Even the Cold War ended formally, Cold War mentality dies hard among conservatives. Given the Russian mistrust of the West and the US in particular - they have ample reasons for such mistrust, e.g. expansion of EU and NATO plus Western meddlings in the Russian sphere of influence - they are going to see everything the US does in the worst possible light.

In such a context, there are reasons for the Russians and the Chinese to see the missile shield as a vital component for nuclear blackmail, because it eliminates MAD. Sure, it will not be able to block a full blown Russian first strike even if the missile shield work as promised - but what if it is only a retaliatory strike? IOW, if the US launches the first strike, the missile shield is going to stop the inevitable counterattack, thus destroying MAD and gives the US impunity in using nuclear attacks.

To counter this possibility, they need to develop new weapons that cannot be stopped by the missile shield. In fact, the Russians are already doing this. Some reports have it that they have successfully tested advanced re-entrant scramjet-assisted vehicles that go at Mach 5+.
                              (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                              (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                              (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

• [QUOTE] Originally posted by mindseye
                                The "irrational leader" scenario doesn't hold water. It assumes that a "nutcase" or desperate leader might not be deterred by MAD, yet for some never-explained reason would be deterred by an ABM system. [QUOTE]

Who said ABM was a deterrent? It seems to be geared towards what small states with potentially unstable leadership might do. The assumption is they may launch a limited number of weapons no matter the consequences. That is why MAD may not be safe to rely on.

Why would a leader determined to nuke the US - determined despite the likely dire consequences - simply give up because he couldn't do it via ICBM? Why wouldn't he just deliver the goods using another delivery platform?

This argument just doesn't make sense.
                                It does in a crisis. You want to deliver a nuke via ship? That'll take time. That could also be detected and stopped. There is no stopping an ICBM as things stand and they can deliver their payload in less than an hour after the decision is taken to launch.
                                (\__/)
                                (='.'=)

Comment

Working...
                                X