Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should solarwind and aeturneus be out of the game?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should solarwind and aeturneus be out of the game?

Each player are allowed 3 chances, while both of them have used the chances up. IIRC getting podded counts.
    (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
    (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
    (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

killed = #ship destroyed#

otherwise you would be out of the game.

also, I have only been podded twice - by solarwind - and he has only been podded twice - by me. So, no, we should not be out of the game, even if you counted podding as deaths. Once you have been killed 3 times though, it automatically eliminates you.

(edit)

by killed, i meant killed=1 death. So, get your ship destroyed 3 times and you are out.
    Last edited by aeturneus; September 22, 2001, 23:55.
    "There are but two powers in the world, the sword and the mind. In the long run the sword is always beaten by the mind."
    - Napoleon Bonaparte

Visit the Tradewars 2002 Forum

Comment

I was under the impression that it was 3 deaths and you're out.
      "People sit in chairs!" - Bobby Baccalieri

Comment

Originally posted by Jules
        I was under the impression that it was 3 deaths and you're out.
        I too am under the same impression. 3 deaths, not 3 ship destructions.

Comment

Originally posted by aeturneus
          (edit)

by killed, i meant killed=1 death. So, get your ship destroyed 3 times and you are out.

When you are podded your ship is either destroyed or captured.

At any rate, if you look at your own record there's nothing like "deaths."

There is an entry called "Times Blown Up," or something like that.

So I don't think you can use "deaths" as a selector.

Trader Name : Sergeant Major Urban Ranger
          Rank and Exp : 534 points, Alignment=79 Tolerant
          Times Blown Up : 2
          Corp # 2, UrbanWittCo
          Last edited by Urban Ranger; September 23, 2001, 03:15.
          (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan

Comment

I thought you're dead when someone/thing blows up your escape pod. You'll have to wait for day to restart with a standard merchant vessel. You do keep your other assets however (phew!). 'Times blown up' is just an indicator of your piloting skills.
            Last edited by CapTVK; September 23, 2001, 08:09.
            Skeptics should forego any thought of convincing the unconvinced that we hold the torch of truth illuminating the darkness. A more modest, realistic, and achievable goal is to encourage the idea that one may be mistaken. Doubt is humbling and constructive; it leads to rational thought in weighing alternatives and fully reexamining options, and it opens unlimited vistas.

Elie A. Shneour Skeptical Inquirer

Comment

exactly, captvk. When you get that lovely #ship destroyed# next to your name, and you are locked out of the game for the day, the game logs that as 1 death.

~aeturneus
              "There are but two powers in the world, the sword and the mind. In the long run the sword is always beaten by the mind."
              - Napoleon Bonaparte

Comment

Ok, this is a question of opinion, but what is an escape pod for if you are not alive when you are in it?
                MacBurbels! the hottest restaraunt in the galaxy. Jolly meals come with three different stuffed animals: Snake, Puppy, and Rhinocerous!

Comment

Originally posted by CapTVK
                  I thought you're dead when someone/thing blows up your escape pod. You'll have to wait for day to restart with a standard merchant vessel. You do keep your other assets however (phew!). 'Times blown up' is just an indicator of your piloting skills.
                  It seems that there is no record of number of deaths per se, so I don't think the game server can act on that automatically.

If that is the case perhaps a log should be kept here, and Dan will be asked to log out anybody who gets killed three times.

So I have 1 death and everybody has 0, or is that something else?

Comment

I *believe* the game logs number of times blown up, and this is the number that it uses to determine if you're allowed to be let back into the game or not. In UR's case, he wasn't being allowed to log into the game because his user record showed him as being blown up three times. After looking at the logs, it's obvious he was only blown up once or twice at that time so I deducted one "blowup" from his user account.

What I'm not sure about is if having your ship destroyed and ejecting your escape pod counts as "being blown up" -- I think it does, but I'm not sure. I do know that if your escape pod is destroyed you have to wait a day to get back in, and I don't think this is really related to how many times you're "blown up", it seems more like an anti-cheating mechanism.

Dan
                    Dan Magaha
                    Firaxis Games, Inc.
                    --------------------------

Comment

actually, as opposed to being an anti-cheating mechanism, I believe the one day wait is the reward given to the person who blows you up.
                      - Napoleon Bonaparte

Comment

Originally posted by Dan Magaha FIRAXIS
                        What I'm not sure about is if having your ship destroyed and ejecting your escape pod counts as "being blown up" -- I think it does, but I'm not sure.
                        It does. When I was sitting by myself in sector 3 two big meanies came along and start making and destroying planets. Eventually there was so much debis floating around my ship was destroyed which was recorded against me.

Comment

Well, I am out of the game, too. Hmm...

To the victors go the spoils...

-- Brian

Comment

Well, Aeturneus certainly knows how to upset the apple cart! Spoils indeed...
                            Skeptics should forego any thought of convincing the unconvinced that we hold the torch of truth illuminating the darkness. A more modest, realistic, and achievable goal is to encourage the idea that one may be mistaken. Doubt is humbling and constructive; it leads to rational thought in weighing alternatives and fully reexamining options, and it opens unlimited vistas.

Elie A. Shneour Skeptical Inquirer

Comment

Working...
                            X