Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Arg! "You are out of time for this day"

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Arg! "You are out of time for this day"

    Excuse the crude language, but what the hell is that?
    Not only do we have to compete to make the most efficient use of our turns, but now we can't be on the server for more than an hour a day?!??! Or am I missing something?

    I spend a good bunch of time discussing various aliances and strategies, only to be left with more turns that I can shake a stick at and that I can't even use!

    *flips over and dies*

  • #2
    not sure, i've certainly have been connected for 2 hours at one time(and more during the rest of the day)

    Comment


    • #3
      hmmm i got it too

      a new experiment of Dan???

      Comment


      • #4
        Please please, dear ambassador The Eyes of Horus, remove that time limit! It makes hard to have corporate strategy planning meetings as your time ends up and you still have turns left.. *sniff*

        Comment


        • #5
          Just got the same report and I had to log out. This makes it difficult to chat with other players. I suppose you can log on again, but most players usually call it a day by then and head back to fed space.
          Skeptics should forego any thought of convincing the unconvinced that we hold the torch of truth illuminating the darkness. A more modest, realistic, and achievable goal is to encourage the idea that one may be mistaken. Doubt is humbling and constructive; it leads to rational thought in weighing alternatives and fully reexamining options, and it opens unlimited vistas.

          Elie A. Shneour Skeptical Inquirer

          Comment


          • #6
            quote:

            Originally posted by CapTVK on 04-28-2001 04:41 AM
            Just got the same report and I had to log out. This makes it difficult to chat with other players. I suppose you can log on again, but most players usually call it a day by then and head back to fed space.


            It's much worse that that! You can't log on again! I guess we must wait for the next game day. This last modification is truly worst of all.

            Comment


            • #7
              I just found that out myself. I logged in and was booted off right away.

              NOTE TO ALL PLAYERS:

              At the moment the game is set so that you can only play ONE HOUR PER DAY!

              So if you see a "5 min warning", stop what you're doing and head back to fedspace. You'll be a sitting duck otherwise.
              [This message has been edited by CapTVK (edited April 28, 2001).]
              Skeptics should forego any thought of convincing the unconvinced that we hold the torch of truth illuminating the darkness. A more modest, realistic, and achievable goal is to encourage the idea that one may be mistaken. Doubt is humbling and constructive; it leads to rational thought in weighing alternatives and fully reexamining options, and it opens unlimited vistas.

              Elie A. Shneour Skeptical Inquirer

              Comment


              • #8
                I think the time limit is silly. Is there any reason for that? I don't think it's the loading of the server, since the game has to be up and running continuously anyway and ASCII I/O takes very little bandwidth.
                (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

                Comment


                • #9
                  Yes, I can't quite follow the logic on this. Perhaps a glich? I suppose if the server is dragging (this IS a Firaxis server after all and NOT our toy), but how much drag could there be? Is it a stretegic challenge? If so, how is it strategic? It makes you simply want to log-in and log-out without developing a community.

                  Curious. I bet the answer will be something simple, though.
                  I've been on these boards for a long time and I still don't know what to think when it comes to you -- FrantzX, December 21, 2001

                  "Yin": Your friendly, neighborhood negative cosmic force.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    it's obviously a setting left form the bbs days, but in today's world, one person reading this thread once equals to 2 hours of playtime on tradewars

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Is there any way to determine how much time you have left, before the 5 minutes thing hits you?

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        no
                        you have one hour and the first warning is at the 5 minutes


                        DDDAAAAAANNN!!!!

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Yep, I got the same 5 minute warning.

                          Dan, oh Dan! Paging Dan! Please shead some light on this "obstacle"
                          ____________________________
                          "One day if I do go to heaven, I'm going to do what every San Franciscan does who goes to heaven - I'll look around and say, 'It ain't bad, but it ain't San Francisco.'" - Herb Caen, 1996
                          "If God, as they say, is homophobic, I wouldn't worship that God." - Archbishop Desmond Tutu
                          ____________________________

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            On behalf of the entire membership of Great Beyond Industries, I hereby lodge a formal complaint. Corporate affairs cannot be attended to properly in one lousy hour per day. Dan, you are putting me out of business here...

                            How about 4 hours per day?
                            Peace, Wisdom, and No Karma

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              quote:

                              Originally posted by Wittlich on 04-28-2001 07:50 PM
                              Yep, I got the same 5 minute warning.

                              Dan, oh Dan! Paging Dan! Please shead some light on this "obstacle"


                              Well I guess that wasn't a popular decision, eh? I've upped it to two hours daily, but I reserve the right to crank it down if need be. I noticed a few people seemed to be online for a LONG time and it *does* put load on the server, so I need to make sure it doesn't become a problem.

                              Also, you should note that you do have a counter that says something like "TL 0:59:00" on your command prompt, this is your time left.

                              Also, I might suggest that corporation members avail themselves of one of those free, private message board websites, that way you can arrange strategy and discuss tactics off-line =)

                              Thanks,

                              Dan



                              [This message has been edited by Dan Magaha FIRAXIS (edited April 28, 2001).]
                              Dan Magaha
                              Firaxis Games, Inc.
                              --------------------------

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X