Another poll -- Events?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another poll -- Events?

Would people like periodic "events" to keep the game interesting? These would be random sorts of roleplaying situations that would crop up, some of which would be preannounced and others which would just pop up out of the blue.

One example (this would be a preannounced sort of thing) would be a bounty hunt. A week ahead I would schedule a time when everyone should try to be on the server and I would hop into the game in a nice edited ship and the object would be to #SD# me for a prize. Capping my ship would be a bonus, since the ship would be otherwise unavailable in the game (not for sale at Stardock). Yep, wouldn't be an easy thing to cap, especially since you wouldn't know the odds of my ship without a few attacks to judge it first either. Since finding an online mobile trader in a 20000 sector universe isn't easy, hints would be dropped along the way. I'd purposefully blunder into fighters now and then (but then hightail it out of there as quickly as I could!), the Feds might send general signals out that I had been seen in the vicinity of sector blah, an Alien Trader might send out a distress call after I crippled their ship...you know, general fun!

Another, something that might NOT be preannounced, might be the sudden appearance of a new powerful alien race, perhaps complete with a new set of alien ships that are only obtainable through capture.

I'm sure I could come up with other things that are possible within the bounds of the editors and game settings. The advantage of doing this would be spicing things up and hopefully keeping them interesting even without many players to keep things interesting for each other on your own. The disadvantage would be the potential for people feeling cheated and complaining about perceived unfairness. For example, they might be unable to make it to an event and then have a planet invaded a few days later by the person or team that won an event and had gotten some extra resources out of it; or if a new alien race randomly spawned closer to their bubble than their enemy's and happened to attack them--aliens WILL mass to attack planets they find sometimes. That sort of thing might annoy some people, while others might take it in stride. I think if people take the game as intended, all in fun, it could be great. But some people might be in it all for the competition and a perfectly level playing field and might feel cheated and not have any fun with events like these.

So, I put it up for another vote! The general consensus about my edits was to try them out for the first game, but what about events? Should I hold some events in this game? Should we play one game with my edits without any events and then consider events for after the NEXT bang? Or are you completely against the idea of random events and roleplaying and would rather play TradeWars "pure" as it was intended?
    Roleplaying? Sweet!! Bring on the chase!
    66.67%
    Eh, let's give those edits one game without any changes midgame screwing with my experience. After that, we'll see.
    33.33%
    I'm all for events, but none of this random nonsense. Schedule it ahead of time or keep it away!
    0.00%
    No way, no how, never! I want my game fair! I want to live or die on MY merits, not the merits of where some alien decided to spawn!
    0.00%

I think it's a great idea, and I hope other players will agree - and join in the fun on Xen's tweaker's game
    "There are but two powers in the world, the sword and the mind. In the long run the sword is always beaten by the mind."
    - Napoleon Bonaparte

Visit the Tradewars 2002 Forum

Comment

Working...
    X