Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tweaker's Anonymous Exhibition Game Active!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tweaker's Anonymous Exhibition Game Active!

Just set up my server so people could take a look at my proposed edits. tw2002.no-ip.org port 2002! Details here!

Let me know if you have any issues in this thread and I'll look into them as soon as I get a chance. This serves partially as a stability test for my server so...stress away.

Hey Aet, do you mind if I toss up an announcement about the exhibition game in your game? Not sure how much some of your regulars check the forum.

Comment

By all means. I'd be stress testing it now but I have a thesis to finish
      "There are but two powers in the world, the sword and the mind. In the long run the sword is always beaten by the mind."
      - Napoleon Bonaparte

Visit the Tradewars 2002 Forum

Comment

Sorry, server crashed for a while today. It's back up and running now, though, and I think I found the problem and fixed it (non-TW-related).

Comment

Hmm. Do you have any idea why sometimes your server decides to get REALLY slow and send me 10 character blocks every 10 seconds then sit until the next 10 seconds rolls around? Does this happen to anyone else as well? And if so, does the same thing happen on my server? I'm trying to figure out if it's my connection, Aet's server, the TWGS server software in general, or what..

Seems to be fixed by disconnecting and reconnecting so it really doesn't appear to be a connection problem. Pings remain low the entire time, ploss is zero.

Comment

I'm guessing it's CPU load.

This is my desktop computer, so anytime it maxes out on something it's going to slow down TW response times.

Ideally the server would be running on an independent machine.
            "There are but two powers in the world, the sword and the mind. In the long run the sword is always beaten by the mind."
            - Napoleon Bonaparte

Comment

Could be, though it seems odd in some ways nonetheless. Mine's also on my main desktop machine at the moment, though I may be able to set up another PC if the need arises.

Edit: Now I can't connect to your server at all. And of course I'm at Stardock uncloaked.

Tuk has been using my server quite a bit (including a world trade script overnight last night--how'd that work out for you, Tuk? I suppose pretty well since there are so many turns ), and Jagged finally found his way there today and is playing around. No comments on speed or stability yet. I run filesharing sometimes and the like and I'm not sure if that has any real adverse effect on the TWGS server (since TW only seems to use like 5kbps of my upstream peak even with two folks on at once, understandably).

Comment

Xen, speed is fine on my side. I wasn't monitoring when u popped up yesterday on the messge area for TWAR.

Didn't mean to be impolite, just blind.

I like the edits/mods so far. The config makes it interesting rather than a vanilla TW game. Hope we can get some more players chekcing it out and see where it goes!

Thanks for hosting the game btw!

Jagged

Comment

No problem, Jagged! I'm happy to do it. I, too, hope for a good player base when it comes time for the main game to bang. Maybe in a month or so folks who are busy with classes right now will be out for the summer and ready to play.

Comment

Ahoy

Regarding the night long trade run, it was indeed an effective way of getting starting cash/exp rolling in... Thank goodness for helpers. Until I found some aliens, It was taking a bit of creativity to find a cheap way to get a commission... Now that's done, I can be a little less active for a while...

So far, the ship mods seem pretty nice. It's been a while since I have enjoyed the perks of the blues.

Thanks for hosting this server. I too look forward to the upcoming game.

Tuk

Comment

Disappointed that no one but Tuk and jagged have checked out my server so far. How much longer will you be working on your thesis, A?

Would you guys like me to throw some gold aliens into the game just to spice things up since there's only the two of you? Just the active alien traders (not the same as those inactive ones flying around right now) and Ferrengi, nothing special.

Up to you two since you're the only ones there.

Comment

Sorry Xen, I know how much work is involved in setting these things up.

Happy to announce I'm finally finished!

I've actually been mostly just sleeping since I turned my last paper in on Wednesday, and my internal clock's been completely switched around... I get up and have supper, and go to sleep shortly after breakfast!

Anyways, I just got up, I'll be on Tweaker's today, and figure out what's what.

Question: who has time for two games?

I'd planned to rebang WotW, but I don't think we have enough players to run two games at the same time. What if I switch the web-site bots and java client over to monitoring Xen's tweaker's game? It'd be easy to do, and Xen clearly has the better server at this point.

Xen, you've said you don't want to play on your own server if possible, but to be honest I don't think we have enough players to run two simultaneous games - and I think you should play. This limits what you can do administratively, but I think you've set up a pretty interesting game without admin intervention with tech levels or whatnot.

Just throwin' stuff out there. I'm still high after finishing... five years of undergraduate struggle finally over
                        - Napoleon Bonaparte

Comment

Congratulations, Aeturneus!

The main reason I prefer not to play on my own server is I don't want people thinking I'm cheating. When the sysop finds someone's bubble, there's instantly this thought of, "Wait, did he find me legit or did he use tedit or spy on me while I was playing?" It's preferable to avoid playing just to avoid that.

Granted, two games at once may be difficult for people, though I was planning on my game being a very low turn one, about 480 turns a day (20/hr), with 7 day banking. This would allow those who can only play on weekends a good 3360 turns or so to fool around with every Saturday and those who can play more often will only really need to play every other day or so (since it's almost preferable to save up at least 1000 turns before playing since there's some turn overhead at the beginning and end of play to get to/from your home bubble or Fedspace, depending on where you're sleeping).

Of course, unfortunately, dying removes *all* of your turns, as I learned the hard way on your server, losing 3500 turns to an #SD# at one point. Ouch.

Anyhow, even if all I can do for a while is play around in your very old games, that's not too big a deal. I can have just as much fun administrating my own game, possibly. Depending on whether people would like story events and the like to possibly occur (little RPG-y sorts of things... introduction of new alien races, maybe even game events at certain times announced ahead like bounty hunts--I fly around in an edited little ship, and the one who can #SD# me gets prize money from the Feds, and if they can manage to cap my ship, bonus, since I'll be in a sweet edited little number), I can do that kind of thing. Not sure if people would WANT that though as it wouldn't be a straight game of TradeWars anymore and some people might complain that someone had received unfair advantages from winning events or something.

Just some thoughts of ways I can have fun as Sysop besides simply playing the game. Feedback is always welcome, as I wouldn't want to do one of these things and then get everyone railing at me for playing favorites or something. They would all have very explicit rules set up ahead of time. Just not all necessarily known on day 1.

Edit:
                          Originally posted by Aeturneus
                          I'll be on Tweaker's today, and figure out what's what.
                          So by "today" do you mean just before breakfast and bed?
                          Last edited by Xentropy; May 7, 2005, 02:09.

Comment

Aliens liven things up, although I find they are most useful for newbies to bust up... Not too familiar with the alien mechanism- Do they gain exp and become more interesting targets as the game progresses?

Busy with some things, will be on- with reduced frequency. Mental note, don't blow up.

Tuk

Comment

The gold aliens do, yes. They actively trade and advance and such. They *can* be set to be rediculously powerful. In this case, I just activated them with default settings, though, so they won't be too rediculous.

Comment

Working...
                              X