Interest in a new game? (poll)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interest in a new game? (poll)

Just testing the waters to find out who would be interested in playing a fresh bang, with or without edits. Description of the probable edits follows:

These are the edits from my old game. I would use an approximation of this if people are interested.

Code:
    - Scout Mauraders reduced to 1 turn/warp so they can more 
    effectively scout.  Fig count reduced to 10, however, so the ship 
    can't be exploited for heavy toll fighter gridding.

- Battleship max figs increased to 20000 and shields to 2500.  
    Their 4 turns/warp and small cargo capacity keeps them balanced 
    at this level IMHO.

- Gave Colonial Transports access to density scanners.  Making 
    this ship fly blind seems too big a disadvantage when it's already 
    a slow, defenseless barge.

- Increased CargoTran's defensive odds from 0.8 to 1.2.  This 
    should help balance it against the Mule.

- Decreased Constellation's odds from 1.4 to 1.3 to help balance 
    it against the StarMaster.

- Gave the T'Khasi Orion holoscanners (or would have, but they 
    actually made this balance change in the base stats now).

- Increased Tholian Sentinel shield max to 15000 and decreased 
    its fighter max to 500.  May finally be useful at what it's supposed 
    to do, protect planets. Low holds and not much else make it 
    worthless in any other role (except maybe mothing) even with 
    the high shielding.

- New ship: Scout Orion.  Fills the void in the game for a decent 2
    turn combat ship.  2500 fighters and 500 shields, 1.3:1 odds, but 
    only 30 holds make this ship decent for well-defended exploration 
    and perhaps doing a little alien hunting but little else.  It also 
    gets combat scanners.  Full stats in the ship catalog (text only).

- Planets are completely revamped to the following stats:

/Max pop (k)\ /--- Prd/col ---\ /-Storage(k)\ /-Days to Cit Lvl-\ Hab Haz
    Class Title |Ore Org Equ| |Ore Org Equ Fig| |Ore Org Equ| | 1  2  3  4  5  6|  %   %
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      M   Earth  400 400 400     5   7  13  10   400 300 200    4  4  5 10  5 15  100   2
      K   Dsert   60  60  60     3  50  50   5   100  10  10    6  5  8  5  4  8   96   4
      O   Ocean  200 200 200    20   2 100  15    50  1k  10    6  5  8  5  4  8   96   4
      L   Mount  100 100 100     2  10  15  15   250  50  50    2  5  5  8  5 12   96   6
      C   Glcal   60  60  60    10  40   5   8   100  10  50    5  5  7  5  4  8   84  10
      H   Vlcnc  100   0   0     1   0   0  50    1k  10  10    4  5  8 12  5 18   80  14
      U   Gseus    2   2   2     0   0   0   0    10  10  10    3  3  2  8  4  5   76  16
      A   Gaian   1k  1k  1k    25   3  20  15   200 10k 500    5  5  6 11  6 16  100   0

- Imperial StarShip dropped to 30000 fighters to allow for a 
    greater sliding scale for higher level Imperial ships.

- New ship: Imperial Skimmer.  The Federation's answer to the 
    Scout Orion.  With so much power suddenly in the hands of 
    pirates in such a fast ship, the Federation decided to answer in 
    kind.  Unfortunately, bureaucracy being what it is, 3 turns per 
    warp instead of 2 is the best they could manage.  With 12000 
    fighters and 1500 shields, it doesn't quite live up to CorpFlag 
    standards, but its 100 holds make it a decent colonizer as well, 
    for those who can't afford a StarShip.

- New ship: Imperial Freighter.  75 holds, 2 turns/warp, you can 
    thank the "aliens" and Trader's Guild for this one ;>

- New ship: Imperial BattleShip.  Somewhat similar to the old ISS 
    (50k figs), with added combat scanners and requiring the rank of 
    Lieutenant (8192 xp) to drive.

- New ship: Imperial Dreadnaught.  As impressive and large as its 
    namesake, this 6 turn/warp ship rivals the Interdictor Cruiser in 
    every way.  Available only to Commanders (65536 xp), this ship 
    has it all.
    I had a couple of other ship designs I may throw in, but that's the gist of it.

I was thinking 480 turns per day, but bankable up to 5 days worth, since the majority of people who play here don't have a lot of time to play every day.

Corp limit would be 2 players since even groups of 3 are unbalancing when your total player count is under 10.

Planets per sector 2 to really drive home the new edits. If too many planets per sector were allowed, players could too easily minmax the available planets.

Couple of notes for reading the planet chart: Remember, maximum production is at half max pop (after that you start overcrowding). Fig prod/col is really production per unit of other stuff produced. Hab and haz %ages are habitability and hazard level for the planet. Basically whether colonies grow or shrink and by how much over time. All those values are defaults with doubled danger. i.e. default class K is 2% haz and 98% hab, I changed it to 4% haz and 96% hab, default class H is 7% haz and 90% hab, I changed it to 14% haz and 80% hab. Depending on what real effect this has on the game, I may change them back, but since in my play experience I haven't seen populations die any significant amount anywhere (unless you're dumb enough to put colonists on a volcanic into org production or something like that).

And a quick pros/cons if you don't want to crunch the numbers yourself:

(A) Gaian worlds produce the most organics and equipment by far, bar none, per day. IF you can manage to max them out at the 500k colonists needed per production group.

(M) Earth worlds are pretty average. Nice pop and not bad production levels; can produce one hell of a lot of fighters once maxed (over 10k a day), but aren't the easiest things to max, either.

(K) Desert worlds produce the most fighters PER CAPITA of any other world. Up to 30k colonists in ore production will build 1 fighter per 15 colonists.

(O) Oceanic worlds are basically stock. I used them as a baseline, basing max populations off of this world type somewhat. Rather than balance down class O's, I tried to balance up the other types.

(L) Mountainous worlds have quite good production levels and remain the fastest productive world to build citadels. (Notice the qualifier "productive"? Check out class U's for the ultimate in speed.)

(C) Glacial worlds are the best per capita equipment producers. Could make for very profitable worlds with the proper care.

(H) Volcanic worlds are fairly close to stock. I removed the equipment production capability no one used anyway and that's it.

(U) Gaseous worlds are still worthless, though they now build citadels at a very fast rate. Expensive to do, and gives you a citadeled planet which needs all resources trucked in, not to mention a pathetic max ore level, but I guess I can see some strategies to using them (unlike stock gaseous worlds). Class U's also come with 200 of each resource sitting on the planet (call it a rebate of your gen torp cost ;>).
    Absolutely, and give me all the edits you can throw at me!
    60.00%
    Sure! Only edit the ships, though, I like having worthless planet types.
    20.00%
    I'll be there, but don't edit those ships! The planet edits look cool, however.
    20.00%
    Yep, I'll play, but no edits of any kind please. I'm still getting used to the stock game.
    0.00%
    No, don't really have the time or inclination to play TradeWars right now.
    0.00%
    Last edited by Xentropy; April 24, 2005, 01:08.

Maybe but only if we get enough people for at least four good corps.
    Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

I'm in, but like Oerdin already stated...only if we get enough players involved.

Comment

Heh, can't help but wonder if there could be ten lurkers that come by here, see no one else committing to playing, and leave without saying anything.

Comment

Would y'all be into doing an FFA game w. corp size of one?

That'd give us half a dozen active corps, which could be fun. The average skill level here has gone up a lot over the last two games.

What if after a couple of weeks experienced players could look at corping with players who are struggling a bit, to keep them in, but nobody with much exp corped together?
          "There are but two powers in the world, the sword and the mind. In the long run the sword is always beaten by the mind."
          - Napoleon Bonaparte

Visit the Tradewars 2002 Forum

Comment

Also, could we implement some kind of role-playing / diplomacy? It'd be sweet if you had to have some kind of casus belli in order to go to war, if there were protocols for placing toll figs and haz all over the place, etc. I dunno, just brainstorming.
            "There are but two powers in the world, the sword and the mind. In the long run the sword is always beaten by the mind."
            - Napoleon Bonaparte

Comment

I don't know how well casus belli is going to work in a game of this sort. I mean, 99% of the galaxy is "neutral" territory, the random sector map means there aren't even portions of neutral territory that are "nearer" to one person or another's territory, and so forth. All requiring a reason for war would end up amounting to is people making up some story reason to fight the person they want, for an OOC reason, to fight.

If you can think of a way to make it work, by all means list off some ideas. I just can't think of any way to really have it work out the way you envision.

As for toll clouds, without them everyone would have the universe probed in its entirety on day 3. Kinda hard to keep any territory a secret without it. Makes good even tougher to play against evil.

Comment

I wish we had a good couple dozen people around here. I'd love to do some fun experiments that're only really possible in a game with an active Sysop who doesn't play. Like purchasing "tech levels", or custom ship design, that sort of thing.

The editor isn't perfect, but it does allow for some pretty neat stuff. Some of it just requires manual intervention to pull off.

Comment

I hear ya, but hey, we have more active people now than we did 2 years ago, so maybe 2 years from now...

The challenge is to keep competitive games going, so that people keep joining over time. Even having a pretty uncompetitive game going has attracted a couple of people
                  - Napoleon Bonaparte

Comment

Yeah, most of the manual intervention ideas are more to keep things fresh for the competitive folks than really something the less powerful in the game can take advantage of.

Your idea of starting solo then after two weeks having each powerful player choose one less powerful player to mentor is an interesting one. The issue there becomes how to determine which players are doing best. Might require manually checking through the editor to figure out who has the most resources. XP is a lousy indicator so the top trader's list alone is pretty useless. Even if good traders get access to better ships with higher XP, like in my edits, they still might stick with a standard ISS and stay Fedsafe, and evils tend to stay in a very narrow XP band for ideal SSTing.

Comment

I'm planning to continue work on my TWPower program after exams...

First step is to lex the basic power-relevant data from the editor, once that's done it's easy enough to evaluate it and produce some rankings, and even graph them over time if so desired.

The initial idea was something along the lines of a civ2 powergraph. I got some of it done last summer working with the author of KokuaBot, which does the scores and news feed on the web site. Still have a lot of data collection to do though

For purposes of corping, of course, just looking through the editor would work - or you could just estimate from the data that is publically available (ie. who is and isn't in a decent ship, which of the reds actually have enough exp to SST, etc... if we're talking about really new players)

EDIT: got in touch with Burbel by email, he's definitely in for the next bang, but is having some trouble getting his apolyton login working.
                      - Napoleon Bonaparte

Comment

Wow, didn't know you were working on programs of that nature. I can help if there's any place for it. I don't know Java, but I can futz around with VC++ .NET.

Comment

I'm working the next four days (12 hour shifts) so if something goes wrong I won't be able to restart it, but I'm going to throw a game online with my edits so people can take a look at the ship catalog, make some planets, do whatever they want. Won't be a "real" game per-se since there's no forewarning of a bang. Just call it an exhibition game for the edits.

I'll bang it with 20000 sectors and 5000 turns. Tons of turns so you can quickly make the cash/XP necessary for the bigger badder Fed ships if you're so inclined.

Please don't take advantage of the large number of turns to blockade Stardock or something. This game is set up for folks to have a little fun with non-default settings. Ruining people's fun will just get your IP banned.

Just point your terminal program to tw2002.no-ip.org port 2002. Game P (for preview playground ).

Extern will run at 9PM my time (10PM Aet's time, so the same as WotW does right now, for familiarity). I'm even turning off the death penalty so if people DO set up blockades and such the worst that'll happen to you is you start back at sector 1 in a scout, no turn loss or wait for the next day.

Observer CIM export of sector data attached (so no need to ZTM, just import the file and voila, map of the universe).

I'm actually using a version of the edits I've never used before. A few ships not outlined above, most of them fleshing out the Imperial fleet for the blues out there. Some of them are, admittedly, rediculous, but require millions of XP to drive, so I'd hope not to see people in them until the game is over anyway.

Happy trading!

telnet://tw2002.no-ip.org:2002 (Grr, I hate Apolyton's method of linking. Breaks this perfectly valid URL. Copy and paste it if you must. Only works if you have a program aligned with the telnet protocol.)

Comment

Hmm, anyone know how to properly attach files here? Didn't seem to work... Trying again.

Edit: Ah, there we go. Dunno what happened before.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Regarding game edits...

Wow, It'll take me some time to ponder up the implications of the new mods. I'd definitely be up for a modified base game, and will be trying things in the exhibition game.

Comment

Working...
                              X