TWX Proxy Goes GPL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TWX Proxy Goes GPL

I've just found out that Xide, the author of the TWX Proxy program, is retiring from the Trade Wars community to travel the world, and is publishing TWX Proxy under the GPL. This means the full source code of the proxy server and all the scripts coded by the author will be available for modification and continued development, and that the advanced scripts (script pack 2) that previously required paid registration will be available for free.

This is not SWATH, but can work in tandem with SWATH, and is an incredibly useful and simple little tool. The advanced scripts that are now available are pretty neat, and when the binaries & source code of the GPL version are released on March 12 at the TWX Proxy Official Site, I encourage you to try it out.
    "There are but two powers in the world, the sword and the mind. In the long run the sword is always beaten by the mind."
    - Napoleon Bonaparte

Visit the Tradewars 2002 Forum

Update: the program & scripts have been released. Very worthwhile.
    "There are but two powers in the world, the sword and the mind. In the long run the sword is always beaten by the mind."
    - Napoleon Bonaparte

Comment

Have you tried to use them?
      Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

I used TWX proxy for mapping and haggling and a few other things when I was playing, it was a nice way to queue up a few moves to perform instantly (the buffer feature) but I have heard only good things about the advanced script packs, plus the few TWX scripters out there were sometimes restricting their scripts to people who had the registered version to help support Xide, so now that it's open source those restrictions should be gone. A well-known scripter by the name of Elder Prophet is doing a really good haggling script that will be great for planet trading & sdt'ing and that required the registered version; I have it around somewhere and will make it available before the next rebang, along with a few other scripts in my back pocket, just to level the playing field a bit.
        - Napoleon Bonaparte

Comment

BTW, as far as leveling the playing field, I think a map of the universe (sans ports) should be provided up front right after the bang. This can be achieved by exporting a CIM report from an observer account and deleting the port data.

This serves two purposes:
          1) Ensures everyone has a map of the universe, even if they don't have access to a ZTM helper or script.
          2) Saves a lot of bandwidth and server stress by removing the need for a dozen players to all sit at stardock and ZTM the first day.

Comment

I remember that I used to do that... you can download CIM warp data independently of port data in SWATH, so it should be easy to do. If you stop hogging my bandwidth I'll do it right now

Running four ZTM's simultaneously uses about 10% of the server's power, so that's not as much of an issue as the bandwidth issue.

EDIT: It's available on the web site now.

EDIT: The server license I have only provides four spaces - do you have the 100 person license?
            Last edited by aeturneus; April 18, 2005, 01:45.
            - Napoleon Bonaparte

Comment

Yeah, I have Gold and Full. 768kbps of upstream, too, so I should be able to handle quite a few simultaneous players. Far more than I'm ever going to get from this forum.

EDIT: Where on the website is it?

EDIT2: Nevermind, found it. Guess I had to manually refresh the page.

Comment

Working...
              X