Server Status

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Server Status

It looks like the WotW game is still going strong, though there is a bit of duping going on. I haven't really had time to administer the game, so I don't know whether or not it has gotten out of control. I thought I'd create this thread to ask for direction with regards to the current game:

Is everyone having fun?
    Are there any major issues that need to be addressed?
    Do you guys want a rebang?

I'm not sure when I'll be able to play again, but I'll try to keep the server maintained as much as I can in the meantime. Hopefully, if we can keep a reasonably good game going there will be the possibility of having some good competition in the next round, with several different corporations in contention. Let me know what I can do to keep it fun for you!
    "There are but two powers in the world, the sword and the mind. In the long run the sword is always beaten by the mind."
    - Napoleon Bonaparte

Visit the Tradewars 2002 Forum

Heck, I just got into this game....(grin) I know it's been running for 63+ days tho.

It's been years since I played so it's all practice to me. As far as the dupes go, I am me and me alone.
    I know there are newer players are just getting started
    (unless these are the dupes) and it seems to be the most active of the 3 games.

Being a newbie, I'll go with anything the regulars want to do in terms of re-banging. I'm flexible.

There has not been a lot of action, so I am of the opinion that the current game can continue as is.

Comment

Hi Jagged Edge, thanks for responding... the TW crowd seems pretty quiet these days. Welcome to Trade Wars. Would you mind posting your alias in the registration thread?

I guess I'll leave the game as is for now; depending on server activity over the next month I'll probably rebang in late April / early May after exams. That being the case, this game still has a long ways to go, so go for it!
      "There are but two powers in the world, the sword and the mind. In the long run the sword is always beaten by the mind."
      - Napoleon Bonaparte

Comment

I haven't played in weeks. I'm likely erased.
        Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Well, damn...

I've been missing out; didn't know the old gang was back into playing again. And apparently *was* is the operative term, as it's back in remission. Pity.

I just joined the game, but don't expect much action. Ah well.

And damn, it's impossible to stay Fedsafe in a dead game this old. 50 XP from every port I visit. Of course, a commish was easy thanks to the toll fighters of a certain evil who shall remain nameless.

Should've gone evil, though. No real way to build a significant nest egg this late in a game without SSTing. Ah well, no use playing seriously anyway.

Comment

Hey! I googled you half a dozen times and PM'd people with your nick in a few other forums... turns out your a hard guy to track down

Good to have you back. I finish my degree at the end of the month, so I'll likely start playing a bit after that, and y'all can expect a rebang sometime early to mid-May.

It should be fun to have a semi-casual game over the summer months; I won't be able to play super consistently, and that probably goes for just about everyone, but with turn saving turned on and a decent number of players it should work.
            - Napoleon Bonaparte

Comment

Agreed. I glanced over at EIS for the first time in a long while and noticed there were finally some new versions. Turn saving is awesome; I'd been advocating it forever!

I'm not really a member of many forums. I'm surprised you found my name in many of them. They were probably me, since I've yet to meet someone with my nick, but I'm not good about checking forum IM's...like the one you sent me in THIS forum half a year ago

But yeah, with new server versions, new features, and the supposed fixing of the bubble settings, I may even put a server up again if there's any demand. Dredge up the old Tweakers settings and then some.

Comment

That'd be cool - Burbel and I went over this a while back when he wanted to run a server. The current system runs through a linux router so it's pretty easy to change the IP that waroftheworlds.ath.cx:2002 connects to transparently without breaking the stat bot or the java client, which run on the web server independently. I'm planning to be backpacking in the rockies for several extended trips (7-10 days at a time) this summer, so I wouldn't mind turning over the admin to someone else for the time being.
                - Napoleon Bonaparte

Comment

I just use no-ip.com. Works well enough. tw2002.no-ip.org and xentropy.sytes.net both forward to my IP (and a service running on XP automatically phones home to keep the IP updated every few hours--though my broadband connection tends to only change my IP every few months).

As for running a server, I'd have more fun if someone else was ALSO running a server, since I don't want to play on my own server (too much possible conflict of interest there for my taste), but would enjoy playing a game or two again after a couple of years of no TW. But I don't know if we have enough players with enough time to keep up two games at once, so I'd understand if mine were the only active one. I just hope "active" means more than three regulars unlike last time.

Comment

Well, my interest in playing just vanished entirely, so I'd be happy to just host at some point.

Btw, do you remember which forums you PM'd me on? Just out of curiousity.

Comment

Hmm... I think I sent something on Anandtech, not sure though... maybe a game forum, some sort of RPG - Google has the answers

Almost finished exams, just one left, I'll try to get the rebang stuff sorted out then. If anyone licensed wants to host & admin the next game (Burbel, Xentropy) let me know.
                      - Napoleon Bonaparte

Comment

I'm happy to host a game. I just wonder if anyone is going to play. Looks like the only active players on your server right now are Tuk and Jagged. Tuk has far and away won the game and still grabs all the colos each day. I just CBY'd my ISS because it was pointless even trying to play just for fun in a universe that hostile.

Are Witt and Burbel still potential players? They haven't posted in a couple months here. What about MarkG or some of the old crowd?

Also, if people play, will they only want to play a standard game or would they be interested in the old Tweakers edits that tried to balance out the various ship classes to make more than just three or four of them useful and gave blues increasingly good ships as they gained XP (to give them a reason to not sit at 999 for Fed protection), plus completely revamped the planet balance to make most types at least somewhat useful?

Edit: Oh, and Aeturnus, just a small suggestion for the webpage. Could you maybe put the java client on a separate page from the rest of the information? Sometimes one just wants to glance at the stats and news without the java permission popup window showing up and automatically logging in.
                        Last edited by Xentropy; April 22, 2005, 10:56.

Comment

Yes Xentropy, I'm still lurking around.
                          "One day if I do go to heaven, I'm going to do what every San Franciscan does who goes to heaven - I'll look around and say, 'It ain't bad, but it ain't San Francisco.'" - Herb Caen, 1996
                          "If God, as they say, is homophobic, I wouldn't worship that God." - Archbishop Desmond Tutu

Comment

Oh... it's that kind of tweaking

Yeah I'd be up for that.

I'm not sure what Burbel is up to, I haven't seen him online for a while.

Usually the game draws everyone back when it's rebanged. The most active players the last two games were Tuk, Oerdin, Burbel and me, but MarkG usually plays for a while and Wittlich always plays, and we have a couple new people.

The current game has been running without any admin on my part, so I have no idea what's going on in there. I do know there is some duping, but since we called a winner several months ago I haven't really watched for that. It's not characteristic of how the games are when they are still competitive, obviously.

I'll look into changing the site around as you suggest. The Java client is mainly there to draw new users, and it's worked, but there could easily be a separate page with just stats for those into checking their scores. It's just an include.

EDIT: done. Check out the new stats page.
                            Last edited by aeturneus; April 22, 2005, 21:05.
                            - Napoleon Bonaparte

Comment

Thanks! I may have to set up a page like that if I get my server running.

So who was declared the winner? Because now that everyone left, Tuk rules the skies. He has like 30 shielded planets in 5 or 6 different bubbles, and the universe fig count is over 1.5 million. It's crazy.

Comment

Working...
                              X