Linguistic Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linguistic Question

Hi, I'm helping someone on a scenario and he needs to know something in Spanish:

He wants to say self-defender and he checked on a web translator and it gave him these:

noun: autodefensores
    adjective: autodefensa

So are these correct? Thanks!
    Georgi Nikolai Anzyakov, Commander Grand Northern Front, Red Front Democracy Game

The adjective is correct, but I'm not sure about the noun... I suppose the classic form "defensores" could be the best idea. Perhaps if you show us the context...
    "Son españoles... los que no pueden ser otra cosa" (Cánovas del Castillo)
    "España es un problema, Europa su solución" (Ortega y Gasset)
    The Spanish Civilization Site
    "Déjate llevar por la complejidad y cabalga sobre ella" - Niessuh, sabio cívico

Comment

Also, 'autodefensa' is the name of the 'paramilitares' (a non-leal group of mercenaries that many times attack the people) in Colombia, so it can be misunderstanded...

Without the context, I only can sugest the same that jasev: 'defensores'
      Trying to rehabilitateh and contribuing again to the civ-community

Comment

Actually this does apply to Colombia as yaroslav said So what would be the noun form: 'paramilitares'? Or is 'autodefensa' the name of the group?
        Georgi Nikolai Anzyakov, Commander Grand Northern Front, Red Front Democracy Game

Comment

Although I think both words mean the same concept, maybe the best one is "paramilitares". At least, that's the most used word in Spain to name the groups.
          Actualidad y otros desperdicios

Comment

I think there is a (very) little difference between "paramilitares" and "grupos de autodefensa".

paramilitares --> they appear in situations of political crisis, against movements revolutions of left side. Usually, there are being linked the national army or to local landowners.

grupos de autodefensa --> they normally are citizens against the civil insecurity. There are scanty political links.

---- genuina traducción automática ----
            Israel = apartheid

Comment

If the scen is about Colombia, 'paramilitares' or his abbreviature 'paras' are the most common name. 'Autodefensas' is less common but it's the offical name; for this reason, 'Autodefensas' colud be the official name for the civ, and 'paramilitares' the name of the population, or the name of some units....

Comment

The scenario is about Colombia... on which time?

Comment

Finally I can post...

I am the one he says he's helping with the scenario, though I think of it more as a partnership...

It starts in 1974, but it's only in the planning stage, I'm building a map right now.

We will have both a para civ and a drug lord/cartel civ. This is to add a level to the game play, and then we would need some name that would enable distinction between the two civs. I believe the autodefensa movements have some resemblance of civil defence groups, and yet they support and are supported by the cartels. And in 1981 the MAS was founded, and that's when we are going to enable death squads (though they probably existed before that).
                  Therefore I thought the name Autodefensa/Autodefensores (or Defensores just... ?) would be better for the civ. Don't you think so?
                  No enterprise is more likely to succeed than one concealed from the enemy until it is ripe for execution.
                  - Niccolo Machiavelli
                  LA GUERRA - The Colombian Civil War 1974-2002 IS OUT NOW!
                  CLICK HERE FOR THE OFFICIAL DISCUSSION THREAD AND DOWNLOADS!

Comment

I agree, Autodefensores is the better oficial name for the Civ. Will be a 'Guerrila' (FARC/ELN) civ?

If we can help you in another way, please post there!

Comment

I found a Colombian at Civfanatics, and I will exploit his knowledge as much as humanly possible... But I will ask you if there's anything...

I think the paras should be a unit name and the Autodefensores the civ name.

There will be both a FARC and an ELN civ, and actually also an M-19, though it will be a minor one.
                      No enterprise is more likely to succeed than one concealed from the enemy until it is ripe for execution.
                      - Niccolo Machiavelli

Comment

Maybe you should use "Fuerzas de Autodefensa" as the civ name.

Comment

The M-19 was the most important guerrilla until the late 80's. They dissappeared when they signed the peace with the columbian government. They should be a major civ.

Comment

Agh....A relative of mine's been working there for over a decade...*shrugs*...As far as he's told me, the M-19 was just the most notorious for a time, but was small compared to the other vigilante groups down there.

Oh, and aren't the paramilitary forces
                            called "Autodefensas Unidas de Colombia" or something to that effect?
                            DULCE BELLUM INEXPERTIS

Comment

Autodefensas Unidas de Colombia, or the AUC, is the largest of the paramilitary organisations today, a kind of united one.

Tribe: Fuerzas de Autodefensa
                              Adjective: Autodefensas

...?
                              - Niccolo Machiavelli

Comment

Working...
                              X