Latin American Militaries in 1800's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Latin American Militaries in 1800's

Greetings once again to the Spanglish forum.

I've been working on a scenario covering the Acrean Revolution of 1877 - 1904 for some time now. I've gotten a very nice map done, cities all placed and most of the "layout" work done, but i'm stuck on one major problem - units.

I know what the ground units will be; Levies, Infantry, Mauser Infantry, Professional Infantry, Cavalry, Professional Cavalry, Field Artillery, Siege Artillery. For each civ (Argentina, Acre, Brazil, Chile, Paraguay, Peru and Bolivia) I plan to have a seperate set of units, except for the universal ones (Levies and Artillery).

Hodad (El Awrence) has been able to kindly help me on what Argentine units looked like during the period, but i've been unable to find any information regarding the uniforms and colors used by the other nations during this time.

Could any of you Pax Hispania buffs help me with this? I really want to complete this scenario.

Re: Latin American Militaries in 1800's

I have no idea about nothing of this revolution(can you tell us something ) but you can see a pair of pages with Pacific war´s uniforms:

Comment

Thanks for the info kIndal, that'll certainly help me with what I need to know.

And a history of Acre from the Flags of the Worlds website, which probably has the most concise history of the area.

The arrival of Brazilian colonists in considerable numbers started in 1877.

Though the territory was under Bolivian sovereignty (by virtue of the Hispano-Portuguese Treaty of 1750), the Bolivians had no presence in the zone. When Colonel Pando staged a coup d'état in Bolivia against President Aniceto Arce and failed, he took refuge in Brazil, and learned of the situation in Acre where the Brazilian colonists were taking possession of the region.

Pando alerted the Bolivian government and began diplomatic maneuvers. In 1898 Bolivia established access to Acre, which caused the armed revolt of the Brazilian inhabitants with the support of the authorities of the State of Amazonas (1 May 1899). Under pressure from Attorney José Carvalho, the Bolivians were forced to abandon the zone. To avoid the return of the Bolivians, the governor of Amazonas, Ramalho Junior, organized the entry into the region of a unit of adventurers under the command of Luis Galvez Rodriguez de Arias, a Spaniard, who left from Manaus on 4 June 1899, arriving in the ancient Bolivian establishment called Puerto Alonso, which Galvez renamed Porto Acre, proclaiming there the Republic of Acre on 14 July 1899. In spite of this, the Brazilian government considered Acre Bolivian territory by virtue of international treaties (especially one signed in Ayacucho in 1867), so it sent a military force that suppressed the Acre Republic on 15 March 1900.

Meanwhile the Bolivians managed to send to the zone a small military party. But soon this party was blockaded in Porto Acre by the Brazilians of the region, who again received help from the governor of Amazonas, Silvério Neri, by means of a new expedition (called the Expedition of the Poets) under command of the journalist Orlando Correa Lopez, which proclaimed the Second Republic of Acre (November 1900) with Rodrigo de Carvalho as president.

Defeated by the Bolivians (24 December 1900), the Second Republic was also suppressed. On 6 August 1902 a Brazilian soldier called José Plácido de Castro, sent by Governor Neri of Amazonas, arrived in Acre and began the so-called Acrean Revolution. The rebels took all the region except Porto Acre, which was not yielded until 24 January 1903. On 27 January 1903, the Third Republic of Acre was proclamed, this time relying on the support of Brazilian President Rodrigues Alves and his Foreign minister, the Baron of Rio Branco, who ordered the occupation of a part of Acre. There the territorial government of North Acre was established under the rule of General Olímpio da Silveira.

In Bolivia, Colonel Pando had become president, and he marched with troops to fight the revolutionaries. Before any significant combat occurred, Brazilian and Bolivian representatives signed a preliminary peace agreement (21 March), ratified afterwards in the Treaty of Petrópolis (17 November 1903), by which Bolivia relinquished all the territory to Brazil in exchange for other territories in Mato Grosso.

Acre was converted to a Brazilian federal territory by the Law of 25 February 1904 and executive decree of 7 of April 1904.
      The scenario starts in 1877 with the Acrean Brazilians just beginning to settle the province en masse. You'll have until 1898 to build up a large enough defense to protect against the Bolivians, who will declare war on you in that year (if not earlier). You'll then have until April 1904, when it was officially annexed, to make the republic survive.

Comment

I haven't been able to find anything good enough

Comment

here you are a small pic about Brazilian uniforms in 1880.

Dont forget posting your scenario when it will be finished
          Attached Files

Comment

Good luck with the scen. Can be great. Please post here when finished
            Trying to rehabilitateh and contribuing again to the civ-community

Comment

Thanks a lot guys!

Those pics are perfect for what I need to finish the scenario. I hope to have it done soon, and the first place i'll post it is here.

Comment

Just a little update for you guys.

I now have all the basic infantry done and about half the other units done. Each civ will have it's own set of units, each in their own national uniforms. Instead of having just different colored uniforms for each civ, i'm making different looking units. So it should be really authentic.

Here's a sneak peak. A Chilean Infantry unit.
                Attached Files

Comment

Good job

Now you've got a problem, you'll have to be extremely good with the argentinian units, some of the argentinians here can get jealous

Comment

Now you've got a problem, you'll have to be extremely good with the argentinian units, some of the argentinians here can get jealous
                    You better do a good job of our units or else... (j/k )
                    The Party seeks power entirely for its own sake. We are not interested in the good of others; we are interested solely in power. Not wealth or luxury or long life or happiness: only power, pure power.

Join Eventis, the land of spam and unspeakable horrors!

Comment

out of curiosity...

do you really work in a shipping company? ('cos I do)

Comment

I left making the Argentinian units to Hodad, our other resident Argentine. If they're screwed up, it's his fault.

And yes Waku, I do work as the Shipping Manager in a medium-sized manufacturing company. Tho I only have four people working for me and I do more labor than management...

Comment

But his shipping company has nothing to do with ships.

Oh, ok, I'll make the units then... I'll look up some nice colour schemes too.

Comment

Originally posted by El Awrence
                            But his shipping company has nothing to do with ships.
                            mine has

Comment

I left making the Argentinian units to Hodad, our other resident Argentine. If they're screwed up, it's his fault.
                              You are safe then (for now...)

Edit: Just noticed I´m a Warlord now! Weeeeeeeeeeeeee!

The Party seeks power entirely for its own sake. We are not interested in the good of others; we are interested solely in power. Not wealth or luxury or long life or happiness: only power, pure power.

Join Eventis, the land of spam and unspeakable horrors!

Comment

Working...
                              X