Ideas for Coursework

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ideas for Coursework

I've got to think of an idea for my Spanish coursework for tomorrow...

My teachers have suggested that it involves Galicia in some way (I'm visiting there in 3 weeks time on an exchange trip) but I know very little about the region (only that there is a large fishing industry - I'm not going to write about this as I have a fear of fish...). any ideas? It's got to be 1,400 words so there has got to be quite a bit of information available...

Thanks in advace.
    Visit http://www.civgaming.net/

Galicia has a strong Celtic heritage, that may be of interest for your coursework...
    "An intellectual is a man who doesn't know how to park a bike"
    - Spiro T. Agnew

Comment

Is there much of a push for independence, like the Basque country or Catalunya?

Comment

Not much really, but there's a nationalist party (BNG) that's been gaining some support lately...
        - Spiro T. Agnew

Comment

Bloque Nacionalista Galego, they must have a webpage somewhere . They are not as important as their friends in Euskadi and Catalunya but they are strong nonetheless.

Galician politics is dominated by the very long shadow of Manuel Fraga (aka Manoliño el de los calzonazos) former member of several Francoist governments. Despite his strong far-right leanings he's recently become close friends with Fidel Castro, another famous Galician.

Comment

I've decided to go with the Celtic idea, comparing it to Ireland/Scotland - thanks for your help.

Comment

Good luck, then, and tell us if there's anything else you want to know or how else we can help you...

Ain't I nice?
              - Spiro T. Agnew

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Wilkinson
                I've decided to go with the Celtic idea, comparing it to Ireland/Scotland - thanks for your help.
                Excellent idea. I bet it will come as a surprise for some.

Comment

*chist*

Chistes de Gallegos. Say no more.

Comment

HInt: Lots of witches tales (somehow it reminds me of the Irish Ghosts)

Comment

Originally posted by Waku

HInt: Lots of witches tales (somehow it reminds me of the Irish Ghosts)
                      Yeah, that was one of the main areas I was going to cover - I'm going to hunting on the internet about both Galician and Irish/Scottish/Welsh folk tales and see how similar they are.

Comment

Another hint: Galician folks also play bagpipe but do not wear skirts... uhm.. kilts

PS. Witch in Galician language is 'meiga'. Maybe that helps.

PPS. BTW, Deportivo La Coruña has just defeated ManU

Comment

I'm going to hunting on the internet about both Galician and Irish/Scottish/Welsh folk tales
                          Some keywords: "Santa Compaña", meiga

Comment

Originally posted by Jay Bee
                            Another hint: Galician folks also play bagpipe but do not wear skirts... uhm.. kilts
                            I remember reading about the bagpipes somewhere but I can't remember what they're called...

PPS. BTW, Deportivo La Coruña has just defeated ManU
                            I came to Apolyton so that I wouldn't find out the scores for when I watch the highlights tonight...

(ps I don't care to much - can't stand ManU! )

Comment

I remember reading about the bagpipes somewhere but I can't remember what they're called...
                              Gaitas. They're also played in neighboring Asturies, homeland of my parents

I came to Apolyton so that I wouldn't find out the scores for when I watch the highlights tonight...
                              oops, sorry

can't stand ManU! )
                              Me neither but don't tell the Brit OTF's crowd!

Comment

Working...
                              X