Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

quote:

don´t go to Mallorca either then

Yes, I know. Nothing against my German fellows, but if I´m on vacation in Spain, and there are more Germans than Spaniards, I wouldn´t consider that journey a great new experience...

quote:

lots of beatiful girls

...definately an advantage!!!

Jimmywax, I just realised who you are, email is on the way...

------------------
    Civ2000 hosted by CivII Universum
    Blah

Comment

Don't spend that much time in Madrid. It is heavy and baroque, and its art is often overrated. Barcelona is much nicer, and the centre of town retains much of its medieval charm. There is a Roman-era archaeological dig open to the public, too. Art nouveau architecture is pervasive and spectacular.
      [This message has been edited by Goingonit (edited April 20, 2001).]
      I refute it thus!
      "Destiny! Destiny! No escaping that for me!"

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Goingonit on 04-20-2001 05:59 PM
        its art is often overrated.

I hope you're not referring to El Prado museum... That's something you MUST see if you come to Madrid.

However, I agree with you in that Bacelona has architecture delights that you won't find in Madrid...

"An intellectual is a man who doesn't know how to park a bike"
        - Spiro T. Agnew

Comment

The Prado has some great Spanish art - Goya, Velasquez, and El Greco. However, it can't compare to the art of other European capitals.
          I refute it thus!
          "Destiny! Destiny! No escaping that for me!"

Comment

Come on Goingonit! I understand you may be talking about personal tastes, i.e. that you are no so fond of the kind of art on display in the Prado and prefer what can be found elsewhere in Europe, right?

Madrid can be blamed on for so many things but when it comes to art.... El Prado is generally acknowledged as one of the best painting galleries of the world. If that were not enough, at short distance from El Prado there is the Thyssen-Bornemisza museum and the Reina Sofia Art Gallery. No place on Earth has so many top-quality artworks on display. Even the very self-centered English tourist guides acknowledge that!

Comment

All these places mentioned are fine but do not forget to visit Ronda (La cuna del toreo a pie) in the northwest side of the province of Málaga. Ronda is build over the two sides of a canyon (el Tajo) and there is an impressive bridge (el Puente Nuevo) that join both sides, the old city with the new city. The old city is a typical andalouisian city very well preserved and if you do not take care of the highs you would go to el balcón del coño (This viewpoint is so high that many people said coño when look around from there )

You can visit too the surrounding mountains where operated some of the most famous bandoleros (La ruta de los pueblos blancos, the ruins of the roman city of Acinipo, el Pinsapar de la Sierra de las Nieves: The Pinsapo is a tree that only rest in there and in Russia).

[This message has been edited by Flip (edited May 01, 2001).]

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Flip on 05-01-2001 07:04 PM
                The Pinsapo is a tree that only rest in there and in Russia

There are Pinsapos in the Province of Cádiz!!!!

Comment

Ahhh, Eastern Andalusia vs Western Andalusia.... adorable (j/k) Can either of you guys describe what a pinsapo looks like?

Comment

Yes, is true that there is also pinsapos in Grazalema that politically is in the province of Cádiz but, geographically, Grazalema is a part of La Serranía de Ronda. So the pinsapos grow in Russia and in La Serranía de Ronda. The pinsapo is a kind of pine very similar to a fir. It is a survivor of the last glacial period.

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Flip on 05-02-2001 06:49 PM
                      Grazalema is a part of La Serranía de Ronda. So the pinsapos grow in Russia and in La Serranía de Ronda.

I must confess that I've never really cared about that, but as far as I remember Grazalena and Ronda are two different strings belonging both to The Betic Mountains.

In fact the following link says that Grazalema is in The Subbetic String and Ronda in the Penibetic string:
                      http://www.ub.es/medame/relieve.html#BETICAS

Anyway, the point is that they are really close to each other.

Here's how Pinsapo looks like:

http://www1.elpais.es/andalucia/uk/p...a_pinsapar.htm
                      http://www.uca.es/huesped/giex/grazalem.htm

[This message has been edited by Waku (edited May 03, 2001).]

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Jay Bee on 05-02-2001 03:39 PM
                        Ahhh, Eastern Andalusia vs Western Andalusia.... adorable (j/k)

You will have to change the name of this forum for this one:

HS-The Andalusian Civilization II Site

quite more suitable indeed

Edit: La banderita
                        [This message has been edited by Waku (edited May 04, 2001).]

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Jay Bee on 05-02-2001 03:39 PM
                          Ahhh, Eastern Andalusia vs Western Andalusia.... adorable

Eastern of course!!!!!!! we are better!!!!
                          Autonomy for the kingdom of Granada!!!!
                          hehehehe

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Waku on 05-03-2001 02:32 PM
                            You will have to change the name of this forum for this one:

HS-The Andalusian Civilization II Site

quite more suitable indeed

Yes, you are quite right. I am quite surprised. Not that there are many Andalusians, but that there are so few people from Madrid and Barcelona.

PS. Pinsapos look beautiful.

Comment

Working...
                            X