Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"The War of Jenkins' Ear" a story untold...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "The War of Jenkins' Ear" a story untold...

Here you can find one of these deliberately hidden stories, perhaps the biggest England's disaster at sea ever...
    http://members.aol.com/GlobTreasr/history.html

How many movies would have Holywood made if this had been different?

Yes, very interesting indeed. Congratulations for finding another webpage with good historical info, I may end up agreeing with you on that...

And I think that not only the English hide our deeds, the French have done it frequently too...
    "An intellectual is a man who doesn't know how to park a bike"
    - Spiro T. Agnew

Comment

Very interesting, indeed!
      No Fighting here, this is the war room!

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Fiera on 02-20-2001 08:30 PM
        I may end up agreeing with you on that...

I think we don't disagree, I just think that perhaps the net isn't that far to become an effective mean of knowledge, but it is not...(yet).

As it seems you've found it interesting here's a bit more on the same subject:
        http://members.es.tripod.de/pay/lezo.htm

Comment

It is in spanish

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Henrik on 02-21-2001 01:55 PM
            It is in spanish

Try this:
            http://babelfish.altavista.digital.com/translate.dyn

Comment

quote:

It showed the control of diverse convoys that they aided to Felipe V in Barcelona deceiving
              English monitoring. In one of them it was surrounded by superior forces, and worried it knew to leave setting afire some the ships that followed to him what rompío the circle that surrounded to him.

quote:

In 1713 it was promoted Captain,

Hehe the translation is funny
              And sadly only half of the page is translated

Oh well, I get the picture I guess.

As an english mean no doubt would refer to it :
              "Ah yes that little battle, dreadfull business, really, Jolly good show though. He was a fine chap for a spaniard, I guess"

(If anyone has any doubts about the last sentence; it was a joke and on the brittish expense too )
              [This message has been edited by Henrik (edited February 21, 2001).]

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Henrik on 02-21-2001 03:01 PM
                Hehe the translation is funny

LOL

Yes it is but you know..."the net isn't yet an effective mean of knowledge"

more than nothing

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Waku on 02-21-2001 01:41 PM
                  I think we don't disagree, I just think that perhaps the net isn't that far to become an effective mean of knowledge, but it is not...(yet).

Yes, you know what a very good idea would be? Linking together all those interesting pages you've found... like making an index of reliable Spanish history web pages... Qué te parece?

quote:

As it seems you've found it interesting here's a bit more on the same subject:
                  http://members.es.tripod.de/pay/lezo.htm

Gracias. Se me acaba de ocurrir, ¿serás capaz de encontrar algo sobre Juan de Urbina, capitán alavés de principios del siglo XVI?
                  - Spiro T. Agnew

Comment

LMAO

Probably:

FARC = Fuerzas Armadas Revolucionarias de Colombia, the main guerrilla group in Colombia.

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Fiera on 02-21-2001 07:34 PM
                      ¿serás capaz de encontrar algo sobre Juan de Urbina, capitán alavés de principios del siglo XVI?

http://www.ctv.es/sietevillas/santona/nvosan4.html

not much

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Fiera on 02-21-2001 07:34 PM
                        Yes, you know what a very good idea would be? Linking together all those interesting pages you've found... like making an index of reliable Spanish history web pages... Qué te parece?

I like the idea and I don't rule it out but it's a hard work to be done by such a lazy guy like me.

Comment

Hmm, thanks, Waku, but I'm afraid that's not the Juan Urbina I'm looking info about...

Thanks anyway for your search

Regarding my web page idea, I indeed think it's a thing well worth to try...

I can try myself (with your searching abilities help) someday, but not yet...
                          - Spiro T. Agnew

Comment

LOL!
                            I tried translating these posts whit altavista (I wanted to know about that last sentence), look what:
                            quote:

I think we don't disagree, I just think that perhaps the net isn't that far to become an effective mean
                            of knowledge, but it is not...(yet).

when transalted became:
                            quote:

Is think we don't disagree, I just think that perhaps the net isn't that Officers' Club of Revolutionary Armed Forces to become an effective mean of knowledge, but it is not... (yet).

LOL now can someone explain THAT translation

Comment

Why not make those history links in a thread here, like the Great library in the civ-2 strategy section? Maybe Jay Bee could always keep it on the active area(That is, not sent to the archive). So many of these links are so cool(and hard to find!), that is a damn shame that they are not in one thread. How about it, Jay Bee, our fearless leader? Any chance of it? Waku and the rest of us mere mortals could contribute to it from time to time.

------------------
                              All knowledge begins with the phrase: I don't know.
                              I believe Saddam because his position is backed up by logic and reason...David Floyd
                              i'm an ignorant greek...MarkG

Comment

Working...
                              X