Third set of historical stamps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Third set of historical stamps

Segovia's Aqueduct (50) (the prettiest in the world!)

Suevi, Vandals and Alans (409)

The Visigoths (415)
    Clarification for non-Hispanics. In the Hispanic countries and I believe Southern Italy too (correct Prometeus?) the French deck (shamrocks, picks, hearts, diamonds) is seldom used. We use the Spanish deck, which has gold, cups, swords and sticks. The second guy on the left is the King of Sticks.

King Recchared (589) this guy converted to Roman Catholicism and imposed his new faith as the state's religion.

[This message has been edited by Jay Bee (edited March 02, 2001).]

the King of sticks to others: "Spazzolatina alla schiena?"

quote:

Originally posted by Jay Bee on 03-02-2001 06:15 PM

Clarification for non-Hispanics. In the Hispanic countries and I believe Southern Italy too (correct Prometeus?) the French deck (shamrocks, picks, hearts, diamonds) is seldom used. We use the Spanish deck, which has gold, cups, swords and sticks. The second guy on the left is the King of Sticks.

We use both of kind in all of the country, JB... and even worse... every region, province, and even a single town has a local look deck' set ( we have placentine kind, napolitan, roman, "trevisàn", sardinian, and so on ).
    "Io non volgo le spalle dinnanzi al nemico!!!" - il Conte di San Sebastiano al messo del comandante in capo, battaglia dell'Assietta
    "E' più facile far passare un cammello per la cruna di un ago che un pensiero nel cervello di Bush!!!" - Zelig
    "Live fire, and not cold steel, now resolve battles" - Marshall de Puysegur

Comment

Where do you get those stamps from?
      They are so good in terms of historical quality-I mean the person who made these clearly knows the vast span of History in Hispania.
      My only quip is to make it clear the Gothic king Ricared (Richard) did not convert to Christianity-his people had been Christian for a good 250 years or so, except that the kind of Christianity they had been converted to was formulated by a Egyptian priest by the name of Arios, and his creed is called Arianism (nothing to do with skinheads), essentially this creed denies the Divinity of Jesus Christ, and all depictions of him in the Arian Churches range from images of the Cross, to Neo-Pagan images depicting him as a kind of Apollo---have a look at these pictures to see what I mean.

Some info on this event can be found

This is how Christ was depicted in the Holy Roman Catholic and Apostolic Church (Orthodox) before the adoption of the Arian rite, which the Goths in Hispania retained despite their supposed embrace of the Catholic Creed.

This is how Jesus Christ was depicted according to the Arian Creed...

For mor images from Ravenna, Italy, click Here

So really the Gothic monarchy retained its heretical creed, with a facade of being Catholic, so that depictions of Christ as a non-Divine person were retained to this day such as 'Christ Crucified'.
      Yet the idea of Jesus Christ and his Guidence is alive, and so He could never have been purely mortal.

------------------
      MRP
      MRP

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Masis on 03-03-2001 08:37 AM
        Where do you get those stamps from? They are so good in terms of historical quality-I mean the person who made these clearly knows the vast span of History in Hispania.

This is a series of 24 stamps which supposedly be out for regular use in Spain very shortly. The stamps are from Gallego & Rey, two superb cartoonists. They're very famous in Spain thanks to their outstanding comic strips in different newspapers. Regrettably the series ends with the Catholic Monarchs. I hope there will be a second series.

quote:

My only quip is to make it clear the Gothic king Ricared (Richard) did not convert to Christianity-his people had been Christian for a good 250 years or so

Correct. I had said that he converted himself to Roman Catholicism, no to Christianity (have you played "The Visigoths" scenario yet? ).

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Jay Bee on 03-02-2001 06:15 PM

Suevi, Vandals and Alans (409)

Jajajajajaja... Buenísimo!

Give us more, please...

Por cierto, las estás escaneando o sólo las tienes en formato digital? Es porque las quiero guardar, y es una pena, porque son demasiado pequeñas...
          "An intellectual is a man who doesn't know how to park a bike"
          - Spiro T. Agnew

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Masis on 03-03-2001 12:17 PM
            I only have Civ II original, can I play your scenario do you think?
            Generally FW scenarios don't play on my program.
            Which is a shame, as I can tell your scenario is good by the description.

There's a site that provides updates from Classic Civ II to Civ II FW. But they don't have Hasbro approval. Ask for the url to Andrew Livings...

"Io non volgo le spalle dinnanzi al nemico!!!" - il Conte di San Sebastiano al messo del comandante in capo, battaglia dell'Assietta
            "E' più facile far passare un cammello per la cruna di un ago che un pensiero nel cervello di Bush!!!" - Zelig
            "Live fire, and not cold steel, now resolve battles" - Marshall de Puysegur

Comment

I only have Civ II original, can I play your scenario do you think?
              Generally FW scenarios don't play on my program.
              Which is a shame, as I can tell your scenario is good by the description.

------------------
              MRP
              MRP

Comment

Fiera,

They are at 1:1 scale. The scanning is not very good. I found them on the net a few weeks ago. But I had seen them in print in a Correos pamphlet. My guess is that the stamps will be out sometime next year (the €, you know).

Masis,

Send me an e-mail at spanish@apolyton.net and let's see what can be done.

Comment

Working...
                X