Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

quote:

Originally posted by Fiera on 03-01-2001 10:06 PM
    No, no, Sudan was Nubia, you're mixing two different things, I guess...

Yeah, yeah, I realized that I have made a gross mistake just after hitting the submit button. That's why I edited the post accordingly... to late cos you saw the unedited post.

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Jay Bee on 03-02-2001 05:49 AM

Yeah, yeah, I realized that I have made a gross mistake just after hitting the submit button. That's why I edited the post accordingly... to late cos you saw the unedited post.

Yes, I'm quick, aint' I?

I thought it was a lapsus, but I pointed it out just in case... Estamos aquí para ayudar...
      "An intellectual is a man who doesn't know how to park a bike"
      - Spiro T. Agnew

Comment

Jay Bee, someone was kind enough to e-mail me this: "The original inhabitants of the Canaries were the Guanches, now extinct, a Berber people who were conquered by the panish in the 15th century". This person also sent a map and the location of Numidia, but you now say you know where it is, so I won't repeat it. To our secret friend, I say: post! Let us know what you know! It's fun, and it leads to fame, like getting your name mentioned in a thread title! (Yet another shameless plug, Jay Bee! )

------------------
        All knowledge begins with the phrase: I don't know.
        I believe Saddam because his position is backed up by logic and reason...David Floyd
        i'm an ignorant greek...MarkG

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by cpoulos on 03-02-2001 09:23 AM
          It's fun, and it leads to fame, like getting your name mentioned in a thread title!

That's only the beginning of your Apolyton fame...
          "An intellectual is a man who doesn't know how to park a bike"
          - Spiro T. Agnew

Comment

Mamma li Guanci!!! A lot interesting... what's up JB? A Canary islands' conquest scenario? Kidding, kidding...

PS Idafe rock ( a sacred rock for Guanches ) and Artemi Semidan, one of the greatest Guanches "guanartemes" ( kinda governors ) are also keywords for Canary islands' history.
            "Io non volgo le spalle dinnanzi al nemico!!!" - il Conte di San Sebastiano al messo del comandante in capo, battaglia dell'Assietta
            "E' più facile far passare un cammello per la cruna di un ago che un pensiero nel cervello di Bush!!!" - Zelig
            "Live fire, and not cold steel, now resolve battles" - Marshall de Puysegur

Comment

Where you get so much info from, Prometeus? Yeah, those are good keywords too. Don't you know of anyting written by any of your ancestors about the Fortunate Islands?

[This message has been edited by Jay Bee (edited March 02, 2001).]

Comment

From a book written by Attilio Gaudio, "Canarie - le isole del sole", and a TV service about Fuenteventura and Gran Canaria museums. Luckily i registerd it...
                Oh, i forgot i have seen the anastatic reprint of a Spanish book about Canary island conquests two months ago at Vatican museum. Must have a pic depliant or something like that on my many bookshelves...

Guanches names for Canary islands:

Chinet - Tenerife
                Tamaran - Gran Canaria
                Benaguare - La Palma
                Hero - Hierro
                Gomera ( the same as today )
                Erbani - Fuenteventura
                Titerogakat - Lanzarote
                Torcusa - Isla de Lobos
                Zonzamas - Alegranza
                Guadarfra - Graciosa
                Tiguafata - Roque del Este
                Ico - Roque del Oeste
                Guanareme - Montana Clara

PS Guanche comes from wa-n-Chinet, "man from Tenerife island".

"Io non volgo le spalle dinnanzi al nemico!!!" - il Conte di San Sebastiano al messo del comandante in capo, battaglia dell'Assietta
                "E' più facile far passare un cammello per la cruna di un ago che un pensiero nel cervello di Bush!!!" - Zelig

Comment

Lets not deviate from the subject, but I can assure you that the Numidians were not Negroid as for example like a Nigerian is, this is only used for Hollywood fiction to actract wider audiences like plays such as 'Othello' or 'Tytos Andronikos'.
                  Seen the film?
                  Here is a Link to find out about that shocking film.
                  Though the population of North Africa is in varying degrees mixed, take Morroco, you could find charcters who resemble Arabs, ones who resemble Iberians, and then of course the Berbers.
                  The same principle goes across all of north Africa.
                  Numidia comprised of inland Tunisia, the Numidians who were Hamitic (like Ethiopians) being the natives and the Semetic Phonecians being the new-comers to the area.
                  Certainly the possiblity that the Atlantic was crossed, or that Africa was circumnavigated exists in historical and Archaeological evidence.
                  As in the recently discovered human remains in Brazil, which when reconstructed facially, the person resembled a west African.
                  During the era of the Persian empire, a Phonecian captain as punishment was ordered by the Shah to sail around Africa (to gain knowledge of possible new resources) but the Captain found that Africa is huge, and stopped sailing down about the region of Cameroon and then sailed back.

In the meantime here is a link to some information on the Gaunches

And Here is some information on ancient Mauritania-not to be confused with Numidia, Mauritania comprised of modern north coastlines of Morroco and Algieria.

The parentage of Juba II, if you look him up on a Search Engine will explain to you for example that his mother was from the Ptolomaic dynasty that ruled Egypt after the death of Alexander the Great, Ptolomy being one of Alexander's generals.
                  Just like today, many monarchys were of foriegn origin.

P.S. Self promotion is no bad thing, others do it in extremes and if you don't shout in this World no one will Hear you...

------------------
                  MRP
                  MRP

Comment

If we only knew where was/is The Juba's Library?

Comment

A nice link at last:
                      http://www.theoi.com/Khaos/Hesperides.html

Comment

I think this one's the best:
                        http://www.4literature.net/Plutarch/Sertorius/3.html

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Masis on 03-02-2001 01:46 PM
                          Lets not deviate from the subject, but I can assure you that the Numidians were not Negroid as for example like a Nigerian is...

Though the population of North Africa is in varying degrees mixed, take Morroco, you could find charcters who resemble Arabs, ones who resemble Iberians, and then of course the Berbers.

I'm not deviating from the subject... Gomeros Berbers ( Gomera ) still exist today in Morocco - three tribes - but they live in a deeply arabized land, so their language and culture will be cancelled soon.

As a matter of fact, Iberi, Ligures, Sardi, Libi and Mauri are grouped together into ancient Mediterranean western languages.

Comment

Are you really arguing about who's darker than who?

History is not so simple.

Comment

No no, Prometheus i am not saying -YOU- are deviating from the subject of ancient knowledge of the Canary Islands, I am accusing MYSELF of deviating, it is a problem I have, but then again history is inter-related and so it is impossible to understand one area of it without having to resort to looking into the history of another area of it-like north Africa and Hispania.
                              The above quotes appear to say that I simply state that north Africans were not Negriod, it is important to read the original source of those quotes in order not to mislead yourself into thinking this is somekind of Rascist comment.
                              The reason why it is not likely that the people of north Africa were purley Negriod can be summoned up like this-the distance from Cadiz to Oslo is the sam as the distance from Tunis to Lagos in Nigeria.
                              Now the intervening distance carries with it changes in climate and thus in the appearances of the people who live in those regions, be it the difference in clothing to the difference in physic.
                              The Scandinavians are of marked difference to the Andalusians.
                              The same goes for the Numidians (natives of Tunisia) and the Negroes of western and southern Africa.

If this statement hurts the simplistic idea that everyone in the huge continent of Africa is Negroe, then so be it, because not everyone is, just as not everyone in Asia is Chinese, some are Indian, for example.

However-the possibility that the Olmecs were Negroid is viable...

------------------
                              MRP
                              MRP

Comment

Working...
                              X