Next set of Spanish history stamps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Next set of Spanish history stamps

These four are actually the first ones i.e. right before the ones I showed in the CElts & Iberians thread:

Man of Atapuerca. I really like this one. Just like an English hooligan, uh?

Altamira Paintings. Ain't bad either!

The Phoencians. Dunno where the joke is in this one

Tartessos. should we open a thread about Tartessos/Tarshish? Did it really exist?

[This message has been edited by Jay Bee (edited March 01, 2001).]

quote:

Originally posted by Jay Bee on 03-01-2001 04:48 PM

Man of Atapuerca. I really like this one. Just like an English hooligan, uh?

Hey! He looks like me!!!
    I believe Saddam because his position is backed up by logic and reason...David Floyd
    i'm an ignorant greek...MarkG

Comment

quote:

Los remos son códigos de barras

quote:

Tartessos. should we open a thread about Tartessos/Tarshish? Did it really exist?

Please, I would love that thread.

[This message has been edited by Waku (edited March 01, 2001).]

Comment

quote:

Yes. let's open that thread, but, vaya por delante, yes, it existed indeed. Have any of you read Tartessos by Professor Adolf Schulten? He even found the actual location of the city...

"An intellectual is a man who doesn't know how to park a bike"
        - Spiro T. Agnew

Comment

quote:

What? You're being ironic, aren't you? Haven't you noticed the bars code in what should be the oars? I found it extremely funny...

[This message has been edited by Fiera (edited March 01, 2001).]
          - Spiro T. Agnew

Comment

Oh... sorry, I made a mess trying to edit my previous post...

[This message has been edited by Fiera (edited March 01, 2001).]
            - Spiro T. Agnew

Comment

(oops I did it again.... sorry Fiera, I edited your post instead of replying to it with a quote Fortunately I think I could amend my stupidity)

Yes, I know Schulten. I think that sometimes his theories were a bit faulty. For example, Schulten provided 'proof' for the physical presence of the Etruscans in the Iberian peninsula. His proof? Pieces of etruscan pottery found in Andalusia... pieces that later were found to be introduced in Spain by the Greeks. Read "Iberia in Prehistory", by MC Fernandez Castro, History of Spain directed by John Lynch (Blackwell, Oxford).

As far as I know, Schulten never provided convincing proof for his theories regarding Tartessos. Same with those cities that the Greeks reputedly founded in Eastern Spain (Hemeroskopeion, Alonis and Akra-Leuke). Aside from stories, myths, etc... there is no proof that these cities ever existed.

I guess the problem here is that the only convincing proof wiil be the discovery of archeological remains... who knows, maybe the Arabs destroyed the ruins of Tartessos to build Madinat Zahra! (I am joking). My two cents.

Yes, let's open that thread. I am eager to hear your opinions. Schulten' theories can be fascinating as a starting point. Fiera, open the thread yourself please (I've already opened too many!).

PS. No, I had not noticed the barcode. Another for me.

Comment

Yeah-the bar codes-taking the mick out of the Phonecian skill of trade...
                It seems that the historical referances to 'Tarshish' actually refer to Tarsos in todays southern Turkey, the name still holds and has not been Turkified.
                An old history book i have shows Tartessos in the region of Andalusia and the name seems to refer to a state rather than a city, perhaps there was a Tarsos 'empire' once like the later Carthaginian empire.
                An empire that had bases in Hispania, yet after the invasion of the 'Sea People' and the destructiveness of the Assyrians, the city of Tarsos could no longer be a viable capital and so only the colonies in southern Hispania were left, hence the name Tartessos, after Tarsos in Cilicia-todays southern Turkey.
                That is what happened to the 'empire' of Tyros, the main base of the Phonecians, they too suffered from the wrath of the Assyrians and the city of Tyros never recovered its full economic strength, leaving the colonies in north Africa, mainly Kartadash or Carthage to take control of the trade network.

Thats my theory anyway, what do you think?

Oh yes, here is a link to some information on Tartessos

------------------
                MRP
                MRP

Comment

Oh yes and a link to find out more on the city of Tarshish/Tarsos

------------------
                  MRP
                  MRP

Comment

Working...
                  X