La Rochelle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• La Rochelle

(Another thread opening for today before my weekly trip to Madriz)

Guys (particularly Waku ),

what can you tell me about the naval battle of La Rochelle (Middle Ages)? This not-very-known battle and the causes that originated it could serve as the basis for a very interesting scenario (Fiera, perhaps you had it in mind already?)
    [This message has been edited by Jay Bee (edited February 13, 2001).]

It has to do with Bertrand DuGuesclin, right?
    "An intellectual is a man who doesn't know how to park a bike"
    - Spiro T. Agnew

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Fiera on 02-13-2001 08:01 PM
      It has to do with Bertrand DuGuesclin, right?

Yes, it does

Comment

Just a question: have you read "The White Company" (aquí La Compañía Blanca), by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle?

It's probably my favourite novel (well, The Quijote comes first actually, but still)... It's about the English who fought in Spain in Pedro el Cruel's side...
        - Spiro T. Agnew

Comment

No, I haven't. I know very little about the subject, that's why I asked. So I guess you recommend this book to me. Can you give me the bibliographical info?

What do you think of this idea for a scenario? Where you planning on adding something along these lines to your scenario?

PS. There is a guy on these forums who uses the nick Bertrand du Guesclin. I haven't seen him lately though.

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Jay Bee on 02-13-2001 08:15 PM
            No, I haven't. I know very little about the subject, that's why I asked. So I guess you recommend this book to me. Can you give me the bibliographical info?

Wel, I guess in the US will be pretty easy to find, look at Amazon.com... Si prefieres buscarlo aquí, la edición que yo tengo es de la editorial Valdemar... es una novela espléndida, imposible que no te guste si la lees, aprovecho para recomendársela a todos los demás del foro...

quote:

What do you think of this idea for a scenario? Where you planning on adding something along these lines to your scenario?

Well, I have an English Longbowmen unit, and I planned to include some of them via events (there were at Aljubarrota too)... But I was not going to depict the Castilian civil war... it seemed very difficult to me...

- Spiro T. Agnew

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Fiera on 02-13-2001 08:22 PM
              But I was not going to depict the Castilian civil war... it seemed very difficult to me...

Difficult? Why difficult? You seem to be pretty well informed on the subject. Just let History flow. BTW,
              you may remember a few months ago that our common friend Benedetti tried to get you interested on this particular aspect of Castile's history. Interesting that now I am doing the same

Comment

I don't seem to remember very well now...

And btw, didn't he say that there were already a lot of scenarios taking place in the Peninsula?

- Spiro T. Agnew

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Fiera on 02-13-2001 09:39 PM
                  I don't seem to remember very well now...

And btw, didn't he say that there were already a lot of scenarios taking place in the Peninsula?

Uh, did he say that? Now it's me the one who doesn't seem to remember very well

Comment

Jay Bee, I know some things about Bertrand du Guesclin. He was the eldest of 10 children born to Regnaut du Guesclin, who, despite his impressive-soundind title of Lord of Lamotte, was a minor Breton vassel of modest means. Short, stout, ugly and awkward, Bertrand was described by a contemporary as being "of middle height,black(i.e.swarthy), with a flat nose, grey eyes, long arms and great shoulders." Disliked by most of his neighbors and even by his parents, he developed into a bully and a thug, accustomed to physical violence, unafraid to bear pain and eager to inflict it. I have more of his early life, but nothing on the sea fight you mention. I know that he defeated Charles the bad, King of Navarre at Cocherel. I know he aided Don Henrique of Trastamare against Don Pedro the cruel. By 1367, Guesclin led his army of Spainards and mercenaries to victory, and had seen Henrique crowned King of Castile. He was soon defeated by England's Black Prince at Najera on April 3,1367. Within two years of his defeat guesclin helped a resurgent Henrique to recover the upper hand and kill Don Pedro. Most of this info can be found in "The Hundred Years War" by Robin Neillands, and "Medieval Warlords" by Tim Newark. I hope this was of some help.

------------------
                    All knowledge begins with the phrase: I don't know.
                    I believe Saddam because his position is backed up by logic and reason...David Floyd
                    i'm an ignorant greek...MarkG

Comment

cpoulos, thanks for the info! What you comment about Du Guesclin's personality fits well his less-than-honorable behavior during the assassination of Pedro I. At that moment Du Guesclin pronounced one of the most famous phrases of Spain's history: "I am neither dethroning nor crowning a king -- I am just assisting my sire"

Du Guesclin did not 'directly' participate in La Rochelle battle. That battle was fought between Castile and England and resulted in a very humiliating defeat for the English navy. It is quite surprising (or maybe not? ) that info on this battle is so scarce.

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Jay Bee on 02-13-2001 10:11 PM
                        Du Guesclin did not 'directly' participate in La Rochelle battle. That battle was fought between Castile and England and resulted in a very humiliating defeat for the English navy. It is quite surprising (or maybe not? ) that info on this battle is so scarce.

In "Sir Nigel", the other 100 years war novel by Conan Doyle, there's actually a naval battle between English and "Spaniards" in the English Channel... And guess what, the English are victorious...

BTW, I have an English edition of "The White Company". It's a Wordsworth Classics edition, do you know that collection?
                        - Spiro T. Agnew

Comment

If you can give me a date to work with, I can try the New York Public Library database, it is pretty large and might have something on it.[/quote]

I do not know the exact date. 1370's perhaps but I am not sure.

quote:

But I will try to track down the elusive La Rochelle battle.

Good, thanx!

quote:

Oh, BTW, I think Gladiator will sweep the oscars.

Fiera is gonna be happy to see this, look at his location field
                          [This message has been edited by Jay Bee (edited February 13, 2001).]
                          I believe Saddam because his position is backed up by logic and reason...David Floyd

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Fiera on 02-13-2001 10:21 PM
                            In "Sir Nigel", the other 100 years war novel by Conan Doyle, there's actually a naval battle between English and "Spaniards" in the English Channel... And guess what, the English are victorious...

Isn't that called chauvinism? I thought the masters of such an art were the French, not the Brits. But if you tell me that the contenders were the "Spanish"... I am somewhat surprised by such a lack of rigor by someone as reputed as Doyle. After all he did not work for Hollywood, did he?

quote:

BTW, I have an English edition of "The White Company". It's a Wordsworth Classics edition, do you know that collection?

Nope, Did you buy it in Spain?

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Fiera on 02-13-2001 10:21 PM

I had this book also Fiera! But I don't know what has become of it, and I havn't read it in at least 20 years!

------------------
                              All knowledge begins with the phrase: I don't know.

Comment

Working...
                              X