Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The NES Wiki

Hail, Apolyton brethren!

The CFC NES community has decided to start up a NES Wiki and we thought it'd be only right for the Apolyton community to get involved too. Drop on by and check out the Community Portal or visit the discussion thread at CFC to see what we're currently discussing working on.

We look forward to working with our fellow NESers and hope to see some Apolyton people get involved too.

Sounds like a great idea.
    Lysistrata: It comes down to this: Only we women can save Greece.
    Kalonike: Only we women? Poor Greece!

Comment

It seems to be a repository of NES terms and players. The terms aren't very useful to us; CFC may have enough games that they need to categorize them all, but we really don't have that problem. The rest seems to be predominantly people pages. Again, it's a great idea for CFC but doesn't seem very useful here, where I have problems retaining more than 3-4 players at once.

It's interesting reading but I suppose I don't see the utility of it for Apolyton.
      Lime roots and treachery!
      "Eventually you're left with a bunch of unmemorable posters like Cyclotron, pretending that they actually know anything about who they're debating pointless crap with." - Drake Tungsten

Comment

What a thing is, and what it might be, are two entirely seperate things. It isn't useful to Apolyton because no one from Apolyton has added anything regarding Apolyton--no one from CFC can do that, only people from Apolyton can. That's the reason we wanted to involve you guys in the first place; you have your own traditions and history that most of us know nothing about. Basically, it could be made useful to Apolyton if people here were willing to contribute. Otherwise I agree, it's all going to be about CFC and will have little to no utility for people here.

In effect, we're trying to cover all of NESing. We can't really do that without input from Apolyton players. That could be problematic given the current level of interest in NES here, I agree, but it is something worth considering. By promoting it within the greater NES community it might even possibly attract some interest, who knows?

Comment

Point taken. I'm no expert on the history of Apolyton NESing, so I'll leave that for others, but I suppose we could start some people pages and such.

I don't know who's the resident authority on that history here. Anyone?
          "Eventually you're left with a bunch of unmemorable posters like Cyclotron, pretending that they actually know anything about who they're debating pointless crap with." - Drake Tungsten

Comment

I remember that Icarus knew a bit of the old games from scanning the archives.
            Lysistrata: It comes down to this: Only we women can save Greece.
            Kalonike: Only we women? Poor Greece!

Comment

I might know enough to help a bit
              Donate to the American Red Cross.
              Computer Science or Engineering Student? Compete in the Microsoft Imagine Cup today!.

Comment

cbraud (uknemesis) and I were the fathers of the poly NES, I don't know much about how games are played now here though so I would hesitate to offer anything to that wiki.

Also, on another note I HATE what NESes have become at CFC and I don't especially want to play with the community now. Not that I don't still like, say, EQ, das or Jason the King (if they still even do NESes), they were my boys back in the day and I still have to throw props their way, they are awesome. However I was always a proponent of story based NESes rather than board game ones and frankly last time I was at CFC it was obvious that the idea of a group of writers coming together and writing a story from different perspectives in a free, loose way was entirely dead, replaced by some vauge feeling of accomplishment or victory or competition or whatever. I understand, but I'll always miss Ad Infinitum (for the old school poly NESers) and RTOR (RTOR 2 has simply too legendary of a status for anyone to really not understand that reference) and all the other NESes that were never games so much as living stories in progress. It's not the fault of the people making the games, it's the necessity brought on by the people who play them.

I don't particularly think I'm appropriate for your wiki, but it's nice to reminisce about days of yore. gl dudes.
                Read Blessed be the Peacemakers | Read Political Freedom | Read Pax Germania: A Story of Redemption | Read Unrelated Matters | Read Stains of Blood and Ash | Read Ripper: A Glimpse into the Life of Gen. Jack Sterling | Read Deutschland Erwachte! | Read The Best Friend | Read A Mothers Day Poem | Read Deliver us From Evil | Read The Promised Land

Comment

Yes it is said to see what nesing at cfc has become, perhaps we should stage some kind of pure-nes revival scheme...

Btw thanks for not mentioning me there SKILORD oh well haha.
                  Last edited by Sheep; February 25, 2007, 04:08.
                  Don't tell a twisted person he is twisted, he may take offence. (THAT MEANS ME!)
                  Founder of the Mafia Poly Series (THATS RIGHT I STARTED IT)
                  Nesing, come and see what its about in the Stories and Diplomacy threads.

Comment

Sheep.... I just couldn't think of anything nice to say

And I don't know if I even care enough about what NESes used to be to try to revive the idea, and it would have to be a long term sort of scheme that would involve huge amounts of effort on my part and frankly sounds like something I couldn't do while smoking obscene amounts of ganja so I will probably not.
                    Read Blessed be the Peacemakers | Read Political Freedom | Read Pax Germania: A Story of Redemption | Read Unrelated Matters | Read Stains of Blood and Ash | Read Ripper: A Glimpse into the Life of Gen. Jack Sterling | Read Deutschland Erwachte! | Read The Best Friend | Read A Mothers Day Poem | Read Deliver us From Evil | Read The Promised Land

Comment

I find it unfortunate that I wasn't around for what you're talking about; I remember the Civ3 stories heydey (I posted one myself, but it was never finished) but I never came by this forum until recently, after it had declined somewhat.

I hope the presence of the game I'm running now doesn't draw your ire; it's obviously not a traditional "poly NES" from what I've read, but then again you must excuse me for not being around to see what they were. I wouldn't call it an NES at all, really, because I haven't drawn from that tradition; most of my concept of this medium has come from my roleplaying/wargaming/other gaming experience, unrelated to the history of NESing which seems to be so contested.

I do some creative writing myself, and I think I can understand where you're coming from - the kind of games you're describing, my own included, are very different from what I understand as "pure story," and I too might be upset if I enjoyed one but had to watch it become the other. I do hope, however, that I haven't settled for

some vauge feeling of accomplishment or victory or competition or whatever.
                      My hope with HRE NES was to create an open-ended, cooperative atmosphere, where competition exists between players to an extent, but no victory over them is really possible, and there is no "final" accomplishment. I hope that in that sense I am being faithful to the intent of some of your earlier stories; I've attempted to invite players to craft a future (or past?) together, rather than pitting them against each other for "that vague feeling... of victory" you describe.

I would like to see your "pure-nes revival scheme" and I hope that such stories and ones more like my own can coexist instead of becoming objects of mutual dissapointment or disdain.

Comment

Working...
                      X