HRE NES II: Der Aufstieg

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Duke Arnulf of Bavaria to Doge Orso II Participazio of Venice
    I probably do not have the funds to hire both architects of cathedrals and engineers of siege weapons at this time, so I will hire only those architects and stonemasons that you mentioned. How much might I expect the services of such artisans to cost?
    "Bother," said Pooh, "Eeyore, ready two photon torpedoes and lock
    phasers on the Heffalump. Piglet, meet me in transporter room
    three. Christopher Robin, you have the bridge."

Comment

• I will take Friesland. Its been a long time since I have come home.
      Don't tell a twisted person he is twisted, he may take offence. (THAT MEANS ME!)
      Founder of the Mafia Poly Series (THATS RIGHT I STARTED IT)
      Nesing, come and see what its about in the Stories and Diplomacy threads.

Comment

• Doge Orso II Participazio of Venice to Duke Arnulf of Bavaria
        Though I am not personally acquainted with the details of cathedral construction, I am aware that they take years to complete and that master stonemasons require hefty sums to retain their services over such a time span. Depending on the size of the structure and its complexity, I would imagine it would take around 1,000 denarii per year for 5 to 10 years, if not more. I imagine that ample native supplies of stone and lead (for roofing, joining, and windows) would help defray the expense somewhat. The limit on the price is essentially whatever you wish it to be, and the final product will reflect your expenditure.

Originally posted by Sheep
        I will take Friesland. Its been a long time since I have come home.
        You're welcome to it, though we seem to be at a slow point right now. If you have any questions on rules, orders, or your position at present, just post or PM me. You can go ahead and post orders, diplomacy, etc. as soon as you feel like it. You can post most orders here, though if you have detailed combat orders or orders that you'd like to keep a secret from other players, send them to me by PM.

I should probably note Friesland's unique feudal situation, since it seems to be in question right now. The Count of Friesland is technically a vassal of the King of West Francia (France), but King Charles III currently has no troops or administrative authority there. The King of East Francia (Germany), Heinrich I of Saxony, has dispatched troops to Friesland to aid you, but technically is not your liege lord (making you the only player who is not currently part of or technically subject to the German kingdom).
        Last edited by Cyclotron; February 25, 2007, 04:31.
        Lime roots and treachery!
        "Eventually you're left with a bunch of unmemorable posters like Cyclotron, pretending that they actually know anything about who they're debating pointless crap with." - Drake Tungsten

Comment

• I've just sent e-mails too all our fellow players who've been gone awhile (well, all the ones that allow e-mail contact through their profiles). If we get a few more we can begin updates again; I'm a bit hesitant to update with only two players.
          "Eventually you're left with a bunch of unmemorable posters like Cyclotron, pretending that they actually know anything about who they're debating pointless crap with." - Drake Tungsten

Comment

• I´m here, lurking and reading everytime someone posts. My final exam for this year is tomorrow, then I´ll have a tooth surgery, so I´m not in any position to compile orders yet. Sorry, but I will return as soon as I can.
            Heinrich, King of Germany, Duke of Saxony in Cyclotron's amazing Holy Roman Empire NES
            Let me eat your yummy brain!
            "be like Micha!" - Cyclotron

Comment

• I'm obviously still here, though I'm fairly busy for the rest of the semester, which means that a slower pace is fine by me.

Comment

• I'm here and playing and like a good German will write orders or at least beat ministers with the flat of my axe until they write some orders.
                Those walls are absent of glory as they always have been. The people of tents will inherit this land.

Comment

• 4 out of 6 is not bad and certainly updatable

I await your orders. There are big things coming this next year!

Comment

• I'll try to get hold of Bipolarbear over Spring Break, too.

Comment

• Two notes for ciders:

I cannot help but notice that you have no funds allocated this year to pay the Imperial tax levied upon you, and I cannot for the life of me understand why this would be! Seriously, though, please tell me whether or not you intend to pay it this year, and if not, then whether you are formally telling the Emperor about your decision or just "letting it slide" and hoping he either doesn't notice or doesn't care.

Secondly, I thought I would re-iterate the Pope's earlier decree, since you now stand to collect on something, at least:

...I thus formally announce a 2,000 denarii reward for bringing the Holy Nails to Rome, a 250 denarii reward to the brave soldier who by his own hand relieves the heathen general of his head, and a 500 denarii reward to his liege.

Comment

• Unfortunately, I don't think I have the leverage to completely break this off with him; Bavaria's shown a heavy profit these last couple years primarily from trade revenues, and if the trade with Venice falters, I'll be in trouble. Which may work out anyway; worldly events seem to suggest that the Emperor's power may falter.

On the one hand, the Pope does offer an exciting business proposition and a possibility of gaining Papal favor, though I must say that I also stand to gain much from the prestige of possessing the Nails. Plus, delivering those Nails would force me to tip my hand; no one, even the Emperor, knows I've got that second nail.

Come to think of it, most of the posters in this thread don't know I've got the second nail either. Hah!
                        Last edited by appleciders; February 28, 2007, 15:05.

Comment

• Originally posted by appleciders
                          On the one hand, the Pope does offer an exciting business proposition and a possibility of gaining Papal favor, though I must say that I also stand to gain much from the prestige of possessing the Nails. Plus, delivering those Nails would force me to tip my hand; no one, even the Emperor, knows I've got that second nail.
                          Yes, but the Pope also doesn't know you have the second nail, so if you delivered one, he would have no way of knowing you retained another until you ensconced it in the new monastery/cathedral.

Additionally, the instructions were to bring them to Rome. Nobody is really sure what that entails with regards to them staying there. It might be that the Pope wants them both permanently, or that he just wants them out of heathen hands, or that while he'd like them, he might be talked out of one or both. You could just ask him, but as you say, that might "tip your hand."

Come to think of it, most of the posters in this thread don't know I've got the second nail either. Hah!
                          Well, they do now

Comment

• Ah, good, that should serve as an announcement! I think it's about time that the traitorous deeds of the Emperor came to light!

Seriously, before I lose track, the Pope who made that decree is the same Pope who's in the Holy See at the moment, right?

Comment

• Originally posted by appleciders
                              Seriously, before I lose track, the Pope who made that decree is the same Pope who's in the Holy See at the moment, right?
                              Yes. Pope John X has been on the Throne of Saint Peter since 914, and was the one who originally offered the reward.

Comment

• Well nice to see this is still going. I've been out with the flu for a while but am back now will write up orders right away.
                                Join the Civ4 SPDG and save the world one library at a time.
                                Term 1 Minister of Finances in the Civ4 Democracy Game and current Justice in the Civ4 Democracy Game
                                President of the Moderate Progressives of Apolyton in the Civ4 Democracy Game Aedificium edificium est Vires

Comment

Working...
                                X