HRE NES II: Der Aufstieg

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Doppelpost
    Last edited by Cyclotron; June 3, 2007, 17:54.
    Lime roots and treachery!
    "Eventually you're left with a bunch of unmemorable posters like Cyclotron, pretending that they actually know anything about who they're debating pointless crap with." - Drake Tungsten

Comment

• Franconia

The Duchy of Franconia, after sliding into relative obscurity after the death of the late King Conrad, has again taken the forefront in German foreign affairs. The victory of the Duke in Italy has greatly strengthened his power and image at home, where he was previously thought of as a mere puppet of his more influential generals and nobles. Though a single battle may not be enough to dispel that conception entirely, it has gained the Duke a great deal of popular and elite respect that will be vital to governance.

Additionally, the truce between the Magyar Fejedelem and the German King has brought a significant windfall to the Duchy, which had been one of the most violated by their raids (though not when compared to, say, Carinthia). Such peace and prosperity can only strengthen the Duke’s hold further.

Vizegraf Teutomar von Wurzburg “the Architect” has been busy constructing roads at the behest of the Duke; with good funding, this project has progressed significantly. With the exception of Franconia’s trans-Rhine possessions (Mainz and its environs), none of Franconia was occupied by the Roman Empire, and thus the country has few pre-existing roads. The Vizegraf has focused his efforts on improving the roads that exist – cutting back vegetation and widening existing tracks, covering low or muddy spots with gravel, and building bridges over areas that previously had to be forded. It’s been rumored that the General has been reading Caesar’s Commentaries on the Gallic War, apparently intrigued by the idea that Julius Caesar was able to build a (temporary) bridge over the Rhine – something that has not been attempted before or since.

Some of Franconia’s monks have also been put to work on a curious project of the Duke’s; an attempt to make communications more secure. In a way, written messages themselves are a kind of cipher, as few outside the clergy are literate, but perhaps there exists some way to obscure meanings further? Some know of “Caesar’s cipher,” a simple substitution cipher, but this takes only a bit of time to break. For now, the monks continue to puzzle over this latest assignment.

Corruption has decreased by 2% in Franconia this year, to 14%.

Bavaria

The Magyar truce has been most immediately beneficial to Bavaria, where some raids still carried over into Bavaria’s populated areas despite the best efforts of the Carinthian forces. Though the Duke is in Venice and out of contact with his court, the efforts of other have helped to manage the Duchy effectively. Most importantly, the Duke of Franconia’s victory at Caldonazzo has effectively quashed any significant anti-Arnulf sentiment in Tirol, and has potentially increased Bavarian holdings as well – von Brixen has taken steps to annex Trento and other areas to his personal holdings, and has seized the region’s silver mines as well. Bavaria now enjoys a sizeable buffer zone between the all-important Brenner Pass and the lands of the Emperor’s vassals.

Carinthia has finally regained its territorial integrity, though its mines must be rebuilt – the Magyars ruined nearly every mining complex in the region. Without any more of these devastating raids, however, the country is at least turning its new lord a modest profit (which has so far been put directly towards rebuilding those same mining complexes). Carinthia’s new noble class – consisting of more Franks and Normans than Germans – has finally been settled on their promised lands, though most were somewhat underwhelmed by the relative poverty of the country. In contrast to Bavaria, where the Duke rules easily over a small, depleted, and enervated noble class, Carinthia’s Markgraf must contend with a large, powerful, energetic, and warlike nobility – both a boon and a potential threat for a Mark on the edge of civilization.

Some small amount of immigration into Carinthia is occurring; with the Magyar truce in effect, the Magyar fist comes down all the more heavily on Italy, Carniola, and Istria, and even peasants are smart enough to realize that a land under a truce is better than a land under siege. Oddly, Carinthia still sees its share of Magyars, but they are typically on the move, heading to more fertile targets further west or returning laden down with treasure.

Corruption in Bavaria has decreased by 1% this year, to 15%.

Corruption in Carinthia has been established at 18%.

Swabia

Swabia too has felt the effects of the truce, and the Duke has moved certain troops previously guarding the Bavarian border to his Italian campaign. With the Duke gone and most of his funding devoted to the Italian war, little of note has occurred in his Duchy the past year.

Corruption in Swabia remains constant at 16%.

Saxony

The successful enacting of a truce between the Magyars and Germans has brought the King great prestige; he has, some say, proven himself as great a peacemaker in Pressburg as he was a warmaker in Meissen. The truce itself, however, has had little effect on Saxony, which was practically untouched by the Magyars anyway.

The most worrisome news for Saxony comes from the north and west. Viking raids have been steadily increasing over the past year, and the King of the Danes has even established protectorates among the Slavic peoples on the Baltic coast. In Freisland, the retreat of the German force there has only hastened the seeming collapse of the Count’s power, with the local Vikings becoming stronger and more bold with every ship full of warriors that arrive from the Danemark. Though von Norden has been successful in keeping that trouble from spilling over into Saxony, the affair has proven to be an embarrassment for the King and his forceful foreign policy.

Corruption in Saxony remains constant at 8%.

Bohemia

Though Bohemia’s efforts at taking all of Moravia this year have been thwarted by the truce, the agreement has also strengthened the Duke’s position by decreasing local raids. The Duke has made strides toward securing his position in Brno, erecting a stone wall around the city and making sure good road connections exist. The Duchy’s forces have also seen new investment in their equipment, with armor and new crossbows provided by smiths and tanners commissioned by the Duke. Though their previously constant expansion has been stalled this year, the Duke is clearly in a much stronger position than he was when he first established himself in Prague. His contribution to the Italian campaign in particular has gone a ways to convince some that Bohemia is not simply a German protectorate or vassal, but a noteworthy equal to its fellow Duchies.

Corruption in Bohemia has decreased by 1%, to 13%.

Friesland

This past year has been difficult for the Frisians, and the Count in particular. The withdrawal of the Saxons has led to increased raiding on Frisian territory, and no held seems forthcoming from the French either, embroiled as they are in their own war of succession. The Count’s authority seems to be crumbling, and many peasants are fleeing to the south of the country or even into Lotharingia and Saxony to escape their predations. Grimmdolg’s death at the hands of the Saxons and Frisians has only served to help Havard Fasthjalm consolidate his authority among the Vikings of Friesland, and his power appears to be waxing. It may not be long before the Vikings move in earnest to re-establish their domination of Friesland in totality.

Corruption in Friesland has increased by 2%, to 17%.
      "Eventually you're left with a bunch of unmemorable posters like Cyclotron, pretending that they actually know anything about who they're debating pointless crap with." - Drake Tungsten

Comment

• Solid progress for Bavaria. Amazing, spectacular progress from Cyc. Thanks!

Is there any particular reason you posted this twice?
        "Bother," said Pooh, "Eeyore, ready two photon torpedoes and lock
        phasers on the Heffalump. Piglet, meet me in transporter room
        three. Christopher Robin, you have the bridge."

Comment

• What? Weird. I'll fix that presently.

Comment

• Are there further battle reports coming, or are we just waiting on numbers now?

Comment

• There are, to my knowledge, no other battle reports coming. I'm working on a few applications right now, but stat block updates will come.

Comment

• Thank you for bearing with me! I'm working down the stat block presently. I expect to complete the update today.

Comment

• Yay!
                  Last edited by appleciders; June 9, 2007, 21:08.

Comment

• Update nearing completion - I still must do Friesland, adjucate trades, and edit the map (no progress has been posted yet). Now, however, I'm going to dinner and a movie, so expect the finished product late tonight.

Congratulations are in order to Swabia, which managed to reach 0 denarii exactly.

Comment

• Okay then! Everything is essentially in order, save the following items:

1) New generals have not yet been posted to the boards. Also, I may need to roll up some generals if they've been requested.
                      2) PMs (intelligence, etc.) still need to be send out.

Also,

Replace the Franconian, Bohemian, and Saxon trade routes with salt instead of Oriental goods until the trade route with Venice can be reinstated.

appleciders, these trades need to be restated for me and re-established with the trade partners, as the availability of some goods have changed. Please inform me of exactly what you intend to trade and with whom, and I'll retroactively edit it into this stat update.

Also, appleciders, I'm updating the front page with available spaces for new players, and I'd like to know if you would accept another player taking control of Carinthia if somebody wanted to join the game. You don't have to, I'd just like to know if that's acceptable.

That should be enough for preliminary orders. Huzzah!

Comment

• Umm... I'd probably have to see who it is. I'm not nuts about the idea of another player as the heir to my throne. But if Bipolarbear wanted to take that as a low-key playing role, I'd probably be ok with that.

Also, part of the reason I wasn't specific as to the trade stuff was that since you updated, I have no easy record of what was traded. I'll dig through old orders tomorrow and find that for you.

EDIT: So the trade deals I have identified were:
                        100 d. of glass for 100 d. of Saxon lead
                        200 d. of leather and 200 d. of wine for 350 d. of Bohemian iron
                        300 d. of sugar for 300 d. of Franconian silver

So make that:
                        100 d. of Bavarian salt for 100 d. of Saxon lead
                        400 d. of Bavarian salt for 350 d. of Bohemian iron
                        300 d. of Bavarian salt for 300 d. of Franconian silver

Also, did any of those mercenaries from the Doge of Venice ever get hired? He did offer to hire a few to help us out.
                        Last edited by appleciders; June 10, 2007, 14:31.

Comment

• Duke Arnulf of Bavaria to Markgraf Eberhard of Carinthia
                          Congratulations on your marriage! I certainly hope that this alliance will allow us to bring Carinthia to its prior level of productivity. To that end, I will refrain from acting upon our agreement that installed you as Markgraf; specifically, the deal involving my right to half of Carinthia's iron production. I believe that you will require the full use of those iron mines to bring Carinthia up to a defensible state in short order. I will be removing a portion of my army in Carinthia to support Rudolph in Italy; I suggest that you compensate by raising some troops of your own. Unless you desperately require his services, I will be retrieving von Leitbach; I foresee a possible need for his services on any siege in Italy.

Comment

• Duke Vratislaus of Bohemia to Duke Eberhard III
                            I have heard of the resent successes of my men on in the war and am glad. In light of the resent cease fire with the Magyars I am in a position to as I have stated before contribute more men to the war. As such I wish to know if you would have use of them?
                            Join the Civ4 SPDG and save the world one library at a time.
                            Term 1 Minister of Finances in the Civ4 Democracy Game and current Justice in the Civ4 Democracy Game
                            President of the Moderate Progressives of Apolyton in the Civ4 Democracy Game Aedificium edificium est Vires

Comment

• King Heinrich of Germany to the Dukes of the German Kingdom
                              My brethren, it is late but still in time, as I hope, that I can announce the arrival of the Saxon Army in Italy for the coming year. It cost me dearly, maybe more than any other duchy, because I had to sacrifice the interest of my duchy for the greater good of the Germans. For us, bringing down Berengar´s ironfist rule has to be the first priority. Once King Rudolph is crowned emperor, I need to sort out the dispute against the Danes in both Friesland and the right bank of the Elbe river. And it is my hope that I will find many of you, my friends, standing by my side when the time comes.

King Heinrich of Germany to King Edward of England
                              I am sorry for the late reply, but I was busy with affairs of life and death and thought it important to answer to your envoy in person. I am delighted by your proposal of marriage between your daughter, Princess Eadwynn and my son. After many hours I have come to the conclusion that Prince Otto, my second son, would be a suitable match. He will once inherit my throne and is thus a worthy husband. Be warned, though, he is just 11 years old, so sealing the bond with blood might not be possible yet. I would prefer to have them enter an engagement rather than marrying yet.
                              As to the Viking question, you are drawing a beautiful picture there. But the reality is harsh and does not evolve for the better. My troops recently had to retreat from Friesland, which I do not intend to sacrificy though. While I understand your wish for military support, it is just not possible for me to send troops. What I can do for you, though, is to supply you with five longships of Viking build. If you can send over a crew that knows how to operate them, I´d be happy to give them to you as a token of friendship.

King Heinrich of Germany to Count Dirk of Friesland
                              My friend, the need to order a temporary withdrawal from Friesland makes my heart sick, as I feel strong bonds with your people and realize that your fate is closely linked with mine. However, there is an even stronger threat to be faced to our south, which, if not dealt with in time, might end our involvement in Friesland forever. Rest assured that I will pull all strings to make a return, and the next time it will not just be the Saxons who come to your aid. In the meantime, you will always find a home in Saxony and you are welcome to rest and refit your troops here, should your position come under pressure. The German people will not let you stand alone!

King Heinrich of Germany to Count Herbert II of Vermandois
                              Good count, I also wish for good relations with the French, and this is exactly why I have to ensure that my sons do not marry into what our mighty neighbours percieve as a threat to them. Thus I can tell you that your daughter is gladly accepted into our family once the quarrel between the French rulers is decided.
                              Last edited by Micha; June 15, 2007, 05:08.
                              Heinrich, King of Germany, Duke of Saxony in Cyclotron's amazing Holy Roman Empire NES
                              Let me eat your yummy brain!
                              "be like Micha!" - Cyclotron

Comment

• Duke Arnulf of Bavaria to King Heinrich of Germany
                                My King, we of Germany's southern reaches who feel the injustices of Berengar most directly greatly appreciate your personal sacrifice in lending your armies to the campaign in Italy. Assuming that the peace with the Magyars holds, I personally promise a sizable contingent of Bavarian troops to assist you in your troubles.

Comment

Working...
                                X