No announcement yet.

HRE NES II: Der Aufstieg

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Micha, did you want to keep any generals from previous rounds for this round's general selection, or is this all from scratch?
    Lime roots and treachery!
    "Eventually you're left with a bunch of unmemorable posters like Cyclotron, pretending that they actually know anything about who they're debating pointless crap with." - Drake Tungsten

Comment

• well, scratch that heathen bashing fanatic and replace him with a new one, please. I think I appointed one of the other two, so a second new general would be great! I know it´s a lot of work for you, so you don´t need to go in the detail about his background or anything. Just tell me where he comes from and what he can do.
      Heinrich, King of Germany, Duke of Saxony in Cyclotron's amazing Holy Roman Empire NES
      Let me eat your yummy brain!
      "be like Micha!" - Cyclotron

Comment

• I know it´s a lot of work for you, so you don´t need to go in the detail about his background or anything.
        Are you kidding? That's the best part!

Vizegraf Leonhard von Zeitz - Age 36
        This noble is a Wend converted to Christianity in the wake of the invasion of Wendish Thuringia, after witnessing the Duke’s victories. He is a huge man of statuesque proportions, known for fearlessness and immense physical strength – there is a reason he chose the Germanic name “Leonhard” (Lionheart). Though perhaps not the most clever commander, he seems sincere in his conversion and is respected and admired by Wends both Christian and Pagan. Like most nobles, he is illiterate and not much with engineering.

Freiherr Gebhard von Stade – Age 22
        A well educated young noble from northern Saxony, this remarkable man inherited his barony at a young age when his father was killed by the Vikings. He is an inexperienced commander owing to his youth and low rank, though in Meissen he was noted for bravery on the field. Above all, he is popular – he is well known both for his handsomeness and his rhetorical ability. He is able to out-bargain canny merchants and win over learned bishops on matters of theology, and is well respected as a result. Had his father not died early, it is likely he would have been sent to the university at Paris to study the arts and enter the ecclesiastical life. His boredom at being surrounded by his intellectual inferiors, however, has resulted in his adoption of a number of vices, including drinking and flagrant womanizing (so flagrant, in fact, that a common saying has become “in Stade ist keine Nonne sicher”).

Landgraf Otho von Goslar – Age 41
        This noble – a member of an ancient and respected Saxon family – is the very picture of the “old soldier,” a man far more comfortable in mail than in court dress. He is quite experienced and reliable, and not known for any particularly grand strengths or weaknesses. His body bears many scars from frequent combat; he is a seasoned veteran of the field. He is not literate, but not terribly dull either. He is a reasonable and sensible man who does his duty unflinchingly.
        Last edited by Cyclotron; May 3, 2007, 03:24.
        "Eventually you're left with a bunch of unmemorable posters like Cyclotron, pretending that they actually know anything about who they're debating pointless crap with." - Drake Tungsten

Comment

• Wow, these are great! Thanks! I´ll keep them all!

His boredom at being surrounded by his intellectual inferiors, however, has resulted in his adoption of a number of vices, including drinking and flagrant womanizing (so flagrant, in fact, that a common saying has become “in Stade ist keine Nonne sicher”).
          ROFL

"Nuns aren´t safe in Stade."
          Heinrich, King of Germany, Duke of Saxony in Cyclotron's amazing Holy Roman Empire NES

Comment

• Duke Arnulf of Bavaria to all German Dukes (secret)
            While I cannot at this time afford an open war with the Emperor, I strongly support such a war. As such, I will be moving approximately half my army into my holdings across the Alps on the pretext of reacquainting my subordinates of the area with my presence. While I will not infringe on Berengar's holdings, this should force him to divert a significant part of his army to block an move I might make. I will also divert my mercanaries to assist the Swabian contingent, as these will not be easily traced to Bavaria.

OOC: So I'm calling up 3 new generals, appointing von Tegernsee who you rolled up for me a while ago, and I'm going to keep appointing von Wein to head up armies until Eberhard asks me not to. If you want to create a description for von Wein and put him in my roster, feel free; I know who he is pretty well, so it's not really nessecary.
            Last edited by appleciders; May 3, 2007, 14:52.
            "Bother," said Pooh, "Eeyore, ready two photon torpedoes and lock
            phasers on the Heffalump. Piglet, meet me in transporter room
            three. Christopher Robin, you have the bridge."

Comment

• Originally posted by appleciders
              OOC: So I'm calling up 3 new generals, appointing von Tegernsee who you rolled up for me a while ago, and I'm going to keep appointing von Wein to head up armies until Eberhard asks me not to. If you want to create a description for von Wein and put him in my roster, feel free; I know who he is pretty well, so it's not really nessecary.
              Okay, I'll work on those. In the meantime, here's von Wien, since you may or may not know Norman history that well.

Donaugraf Gottfried von Wien – Age 33
              This man’s history can be traced through his names. Originally a Norwegian Viking named Guthfrith, he fought with the violent and renowned “Duke” Hrolf Ganger, who terrorized France so brutally that he was given the entire Duchy of Normandy in exchange for peace. Once in France, he changed his name to “Geffrey d’Evreux,” not because he ruled Evreux but because as a Viking he was responsible for sacking it so thoroughly that he became known as “Geffrey the Rich” among his compatriots. Like his former lord, Geffrey converted to Christianity, though like most converted Vikings he doesn’t see a particular problem with paying occasional homage to the old gods alongside Jesus Christ. After being granted with the counties of Vienna and the Wachau by Duke Arnulf, he changed his name yet again to something more “German” – Gottfried von Wien (Vienna). He is a clever and ingenious commander, quite simply a military genius – and he is an inspiration to his own men, who will follow him anywhere. He is, however, notoriously aggressive, rapacious, violent, and opportunistic, and as a mercenary and former (some would say “current”) Viking his loyalty is perpetually in question. He is uneducated and has a poor grasp of German, though he does have a basic skill with siege warfare derived from experience rather than technical achievement.

Comment

• Duke Arnulf of Bavaria to Wildgraf Arnald von Brenner, the Altgraf of Brixen, Peasants in the Brenner Pass Area, or Whoever is Responsible for Burying the Dead after the Battle of Tirol
                I need the horse of the Magyar leader Zoltan, or at least the horse's body. Who's got it? I will give a reward of 5 denarii to whoever turns it in. Also, where was Zoltan buried? 5 denarii to whoever brings his body in.

Comment

• Constable of Regensburg to Duke Arnulf
                  As chief officer of my Lord's justice in Regensburg, I was responsible for burying the body of Zoltan after his execution, and it can be very easily exhumed. As for his horse, my Lord, to my knowledge it never entered my possession.

Wildgraf Arnalf von Brenner to Duke Arnulf
                  His horse, my Lord? I have honestly no idea - most of the bodies were buried in pits after the battle, and no special effort was made to recover dead horses. I took some captured horses into my possession, but I have no way of knowing if any are those of the Magyar warlord. You have my apologies, my Lord.

Comment

• Duke Arnulf of Bavaria to Wildgraf Arnalf von Brenner
                    In that case, we will take those captured horses to Pressburg, and let the Magyars inspect them to see if you have the horse in question.

Comment

• Duke Arnulf of Bavaria to Duke Eberhard of Franconia, Duke Burchard II of Swabia, Duke Vratislaus of Bohemia, and King Heinrich of Germany
                      My friends, I come to you to urge a unified German response to the war against the Emperor. Italy has always treated Germany as a backwater to the more "civilized" Mediterranean, and it is time to assume the position we deserve. Italy has used us as a buffer against the heathens to the east. Rather than help defend Christendom, the Emperor made a deal with the Magyars to sacrifice us to gain prestige for himself. He as abdicated his responsibilities as Emperor of Christendom, and as such we must install on that throne one who will truly support such a cause. I ask of each of you that we install Rudolph of Burgundy, who has supported our fight against the Magyars with his own army, and now requires our help. As we have a chance to broker a peace with the Magyars, we should turn our focus southward to the enemy that has turned us out. My army marches south through the Brenner pass; the Swabians march south with Rudolph's forces. I urge the Saxon and Franconian contingents to march south with my forces into Northern Italy; we may not be able to actually gain much ground, but we will force Berengar to draw a sizeable portion of his forces eastward, which will give Rudolph a greater chance of success. Bohemia has roundly ignored such a call, which I see as unsupportive of Germany's needs, and I urge Duke Vratislaus to reconsider his decision to pursue personal gains beyond his allotted Duchy instead of support Germany, which he only recently agreed to become a part of.

My forces will secure the Brenner Pass; I hope to see armies under the banners of Saxony, Franconia, and Bohemia coming to support me.
                      Last edited by appleciders; May 5, 2007, 16:06.

Comment

• Duke Eberhard of Franconia to the Dukes and King of Germany

I agree. If the King gives his blessing, Franconian armies will be there.
                        Those walls are absent of glory as they always have been. The people of tents will inherit this land.

Comment

• King Heinrich of Germany to all German Dukes

So it shall be. Alea iacta est. This is a decision that cannot be undone, but with the majority of the German Dukes behind our endeavour, and with the Lord on our side, we shall prevail. All hail Emperor Rudolph!

King Heinrich of Germany to Emperor Berengar

Berengar, hear what the German King and Dukes say: Your treason at Carinthia against your loyal vassals, when you sold out the fate of an entire Kingdom which you have sworn to defend, has now borne fruit. We consider ourselves no longer bound to the feudal contract which you have violated. The German Kingdom disposes you, Berengar, from the throne you have ursurped and proven unworthy of. Consider yourself an enemy of the Germans!

King Heinrich of Germany to King Rudolph of Burgundy

My beloved friend, your German brothers rejoice at your decision to dispose of Berengar. We stand by your side in battle and diplomacy. When you read this a German army will be marching south to secure the mountain passes of the Eastern Alpes. May our war be as successfull as it is popular! I wish you the best of luck!

King Heinrich of Germany to the French King and pretender

Your quarrel is destabilizing the entire region, which opens both your and my lands up to the Vikings. I will not engage in French internal affairs, but know that I consider Friesland the gate to Saxony, which is why it needs to be cleared of raiders. If you are not able to mind your duties, maybe you shouldn´t consider them yours anymore.

Comment

• Emperor Berengar to King Heinrich of Germany
                            How dare you produce such lies against me, take up the sword against me, and presume to call yourself a "loyal vassal!" Never have I conspired against Germany, for all your truculence and treachery - and I am repaid for my troubles on your behalf with betrayal. You will pay dearly for this, make no mistake. Never forget that I control the Papacy, and you can be sure that your excommunication will not be long in coming.

King Rudolph of Burgundy to King Heinrich of Germany
                            It pleases me immeasurably to hear the good news that you will be joining me against Berengar's forces. Both our kingdoms will surely benefit greatly from his deposition. Friuli is the base of Berengar's power - the more damage you can do to his lands there, the more ably I will be able to fight his army in the field, and the more he will have to commit his own forces elsewhere. I wish you the best of fortune.

Doge Orso II Participazio to Duke Arnulf of Bavaria
                            Your King has placed me in a very difficult position. I have been informed by the Emperor that, if I fail to turn you over to his authority, Venetian neutrality will be considered abrogated and we will be invaded. As you must know, this is not my preference, but I am unsure that we can hold out against the Emperor at this time. I will listen to any proposals you may have, but your King's entry into the war has forced my hand.

Doge Orso II Participazio to King Heinrich of Germany
                            Long have I wished for Berengar's overthrow, though Venice cannot openly declare its belligerence at this time - we are but one city. Nevertheless, we are prepared to fund mercenary contracts concerning your forces, should there be mercenary soldiers you wish to hire but lack the means for. Additionally, should any foray of yours into Friuli meet with success, I may reconsider my position of neutrality.

Comment

• please ban me.

But someone else please tell me story.
                              You just wasted six ... no, seven ... seconds of your life reading this sentence.

Comment

• Duke Vratislaus of Bohemia to King Heinrich of Germany
                                Far be it from me to go against the order of my king. You have said we are at war so we are. I will send the troops I can to support the war with italy. Expect between 700 and 1000 men by the next year with more coming if the peace with the Magyars occures.
                                Join the Civ4 SPDG and save the world one library at a time.
                                Term 1 Minister of Finances in the Civ4 Democracy Game and current Justice in the Civ4 Democracy Game
                                President of the Moderate Progressives of Apolyton in the Civ4 Democracy Game Aedificium edificium est Vires

Comment

Working...
                                X