No announcement yet.

CS NES Development Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sigh... That's a lot of respreadsheeting. Or maybe I'll turn grain to farming, which would have both. We'll see. I'll find some solution.
    "Bother," said Pooh, "Eeyore, ready two photon torpedoes and lock
    phasers on the Heffalump. Piglet, meet me in transporter room
    three. Christopher Robin, you have the bridge."

Comment

Originally posted by appleciders
      Sigh... That's a lot of respreadsheeting. Or maybe I'll turn grain to farming, which would have both. We'll see. I'll find some solution.
      Hey, it works for me - as long as my herders are producing food I don't mind what it's categorized as.
      Lime roots and treachery!
      "Eventually you're left with a bunch of unmemorable posters like Cyclotron, pretending that they actually know anything about who they're debating pointless crap with." - Drake Tungsten

Comment

Righto, mine would likely be mostly dependant on farming (done by Ash-men),with some hunting as well by the Fathan.

I hope it's a realistic approach? Basically, they have e tendency to let the city states they 'subdue' keepworshipping whatever they do, have a ruler, and even give suggestions to the Warleader, as long as they deliver food, weapons and gold. They might also be called for 'not fun' military tasks, like archers, but are likely pretty sub-par. (probably using only slings and short bows. Ash-men not allowed to have serious weaponry and such)

But if you prefer me to make up another people...
        Fire and ice and death awaiting. But he was steel, he was steel.

Comment

No, Rand Al'Tor, that's fine, you'll just have to deal with the occasional uprising and the even more occasional challenge to your personal authority from within the ranks of your nobility.

Comment

Sounds good! Is what I was going for. Likely I'll be producing armies as much as I can, and brutally oppressing cities that rebel. And enjoy some hedonism between battles.

Oh, and I expect the Fathan and the Azuran to have... religous differences of oppinion.

Comment

I was also going to point out that herding is not represented as of now. Would be a shame not to have meat just because there´s no deer left to hunt...

Will make up my people later.
              Heinrich, King of Germany, Duke of Saxony in Cyclotron's amazing Holy Roman Empire NES
              Let me eat your yummy brain!
              "be like Micha!" - Cyclotron

Comment

The Teutons

Theoderich often comes to the eastern tower balustrade, rising several stories above the center of Teutoburg, to watch the sun rise. When the morning fog slowly gives ground to the sun rays, he tries to imagine the days of his ancestors, when the Teutons roamed the hills and forests of the east without a fortified settlement or even a joint rulership. He cannot. Although those days were gone a mere three generations ago, they seem so unreal now, just like the tales of fairies his grandma used to tell.

What happened?

Within a few months, out of a sudden, the small stretches of farmland (which the Teuton communities depended on) were swamped with foreigners. But they did not come to conquer. They fled. Hungry and frightened they plundered the unsuspecting Teutons and left nothing but trampled fields. They didn´t even stay long enough to steal the occasional jewelry, for they feared to fall victim to the horde that chased them; the evil centaures, armed with bows and longing for total annihilation of all that stands in their way.

Before the poor Teutons could meet those creatures themselves, they decided to leave their ruined farms and retreat into the woods. Having seen the terror in the eyes of the refugees, the Teutons agreed upon the need of a fortified hide in defensive terrain; The large boreal forests and hills to the north were an ideal place to go. Rivers provided fish, the woods deer to hunt. Building material was abundant and the cold winters could easily be offset by firewood in obscene quantities. No centaur would survive in the snowy woodlands where the Teuton axemen would have a serious advantage.

Fortifying a central settlement was no easy task, especially since the different families were used to territorial separation from each other. Also the peaceful Teutons were not experienced in the construction of defensive structures; The original "keep" was merely a longhouse with stone walls from the nearby quarry.

Within the first two generations after the exodus the Teuton society has stabilized. The council, called "Thing", consisting of the representatives of the family clans, meets regularily to discuss matters of common interest, while the squarrals between the clans are being resolved by honorable duels within the "circle of the equals". Those duels also provide entertainment for those not involved and some even make their living by betting on the victor.

The low food supply of the early years has let to the establishment of a currency system in order to distribute the rare goods between the entire society. This currency system has let to a more intense consideration of maths and the art of writing, which were helped by contacts to culturally more advanced peoples to the south.

Since the Teutons have only recently become settled, there´s still much to learn. But the new beginning has allowed for a more drastic change in society than would have been possible otherwise, and many of the younger people are well interested in arts and sciences. Every contribution to the security - and prosperity - of the comminity is of great value and highly appriciated, so there´s much honour to be earned by accumulating knowledge...
                Heinrich, King of Germany, Duke of Saxony in Cyclotron's amazing Holy Roman Empire NES
                Let me eat your yummy brain!
                "be like Micha!" - Cyclotron

Comment

That's four nations- very nice! That's about the right number, I hope, so we'll try to start this week.

A little more on the map:

First, direct your attention to the pink cities. You'll notice that they each have different sized circles surrounding them. Each circle represent the area around the city that the populace works (farms, mines, forestry, fishing). If a city has forests within their circle, lumber will be harvested, if water is within their sphere of influence, fish will be caught, and so on. The larger a city is, the farther the population is willing to go to work and the more ground they can collectively cover.

Next, look at the yellow and blue cities in the upper left corner. These cities are at peace, and their circles overlap. This means that each city gains some produce from the land in both circles, though not as much as if one city owned the land solely. However, niether ruler has decided that the extra production is worth a war. These cities also get favorable trade deals with each other due to the circles overlapping; no wilderness needs to be traversed to complete the trade, so the inital cost of the trade is low.

Finally, look at the orange and brown cities in the lower right. These cities are at war, and the smaller orange city has driven the brown city's workers out of the contested overlap zone.
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by appleciders; November 27, 2006, 12:43.

Comment

Will that be the actual map we'll use? Or one to illustrate how it works?

Comment

That one is for illustration purposes only, though it is a snippet of the real one. It's a very out-of-the-way section of the world, though, that you probably won't be colonizing immediately.

Comment

Originally posted by Rand Al'Tor
                        Will that be the actual map we'll use? Or one to illustrate how it works?
                        Oh Rand!
                        Lysistrata: It comes down to this: Only we women can save Greece.
                        Kalonike: Only we women? Poor Greece!

Comment

Rand Al'Tor, do you have a name for your capital? If not, I'm naming it "Fatha".

Comment

Save a slot for me, please I just want to see how it turns out, since it looks a bit...less like an exercise in creative writing and more a D&D competition.

I'd love to write a history, but tracking a million stats...hmm, not so much.
                            Eventis is the only refuge of the spammer. Join us now.
                            Long live teh paranoia smiley!

Comment

Tass, just tip us off and we'll either set you up in an existing NPC city or make a new one for you.

Comment

Kerag screamed encouragements at Imon, one of the sons of his third wife. The boy had strength in his arms, but Ilaf's son there had a good eye on him. Imon had the older boy stepping back, and had delivered a few harsh blows with his practice sword that the other one would feel for the next few days, armor or no. But Imon's youth and position as one of his third wife's made him insecure, and that made him especially prone to mistakes when he was winning.

The older boy knew that, and despite his bruises, he kept blocking with his shield as well as he could and waited for an opening, making quick counterstrikes only when an opening presented itself, which wasn't often, Kerag was glad to see. Still the boy gave a confident grin.

Imon hesitated in the middle of his strike, unsure of why his opponent grinned. The hesitation was all it took. Three seconds and five blows later, Kerag's son was groaning on the ground with a boot on his chest. The crowd roared in approval.

Ilaf went to congratulate his son, many others joining in celebrating the victor. Kerag met the boy's eyes for a moment and gave him an approving nod. Wouldn't do to look like an overprotective father. Still, he went to Imon, helping him up, his lip was split, and tears were in his eyes, despite his best attempts at keeping them back.

"Have some water." Kerag said friendly, 'accidentally' spilling water on his face so tears wouldn't shame him. His father had done the same for him somany years ago. Then he let the twelv year old boy drink.

When the taste of blood was washed away, Imon looked down. "I'm... sorry father... I thought I was winning and..." He licked his lips.

"Don't apologize to me. Gold comes and goes. Just tell me why you lost."

"He smiled and I thought I made some mistake and I wondered if I should go back. And then he knocked me down..." As he spoke he realized the lessons that had been taught. "Never hold a thought that lasts longer than a spark in battle."

"So you see what happened. Good, I didn't lose this gold for nothing then. The flame of defeat forged you a bit better then. Now, stand up, if you can." Kerag stood, not helping the boy stand unless he asked for it.

Wincing and holding back cries of pain Imon got upto his feet, pressing fingers on several places to check for serious injuries as he had been taught. "I'm fine."

"Good... get some rest and think on what happened, and tell your brothers I said they should keep their jeers for tomorrow. But I expect you to face them like a man when they come."

The boy nodded and bit his lip. The next few days would not be nice for him, as his brothers, and especially his halfbrothers would mock his loss. But you can't forge a sword without fire. Still he didn't want the boy to break. "You're getting stronger every day, Imon, I'm proud of you. At this rate, you'll get your brand soon, just that last weakness we need to burn out." With a kiss on his forehead, he sent his son away.

He turned to the grinning Ilaf and grabbed his pouch. "Yes, yes.. in a second, bought too much wine that you're so eager for gold, you drunkard?" He handed over the wager.

"Nah, your wives charge too much!" Laughter followed, Kerag grinned.

"You wish. At least mine would get money. Couldn't pay me enough to bed yours." He slapped the man lightly against the chest. "And if I'm struggling keeping them all happy, they'd eat you for breakfast." The next laughter was louder, and Ilaf grinned. He liked the man actually, so he'd merely given a little jab back.

He knew there were others whom he'd challenge to combat for a remark like that. Some were looking for his position, which was fair enough, but there were some who still resented his family for the change in their lifestyle, the fact that they couldn't just take from the city at will. The concept of 'buying' was still alien. But they needed to get these Ashmen's support if they wanted to spread the Great Fire all over the world, and by the Great Warrior he was going to!

Some cultural notes, because I like working things out.

The Fathan used to be very lightly armoured, using little in advanced weaponry and armour. Since adapting to sedentary life, they've been eagerly learning to use better forged weapons. Now they usually go into battle heavily armoured and on foot.

Fathan like dogs. Most Fathan have a few dogs, bred for hunt and battle.

Fathan are polygamic. Usually that means polygynic. A Fathan wishing to marry first either asks the woman's father for permission to 'court' her, or simply does so without his permission if he believes he can face his wrath., and the wrath of the extended family.

To marry a woman, a man has to subdue her. Fathan women are raised as violent and harsh as the men though, and while the man is not allowed to use weapons, the woman is. Since men that have picked women who loathed them have a tendency to wake up just as their throat gets slit by their 'love', women's oppinions are non-officially kept in mind. At the marriage the woman takes the man's brand-mark on her stomach. (the Fathan consider branding a perfectly acceptable means of 'sealing a contract' and do not associate the practice with cattle) A man who marries a woman who has children is expected to look after those children until they are fifteen summers, or find someone else who will. As any Fathan can die in the near future and would like his own children well cared for, most people do keep good care of their stephchildren.

Sex outside of wedlock is not srictly forbidden, but must be asked permisison of the husband. (sex with an unmarried girl is considered cowardly, widows may return to their father's protection or may be 'open season') Note that if the advances are unwanted, the woman has the right to kill the rapist during or just after the act. You'll also be expected to look after children that come of such an act. Raping the same woman multiple times is considered cowardy. (Either marry her and risk getting your throat slit, or find other prey) Wounding a Fathan woman in a rape is a severe crime. Non-Fathan women (and men) are free game, though currently, Kerag has forbidden raping women of the city they're in. This has led to the oldest profession in the world to thrive.

Homosexuality and bisexuality is allowed. Among women, it's not that unusual for several wives to loveeachother. Some of the great heroes of song are known to have been lovers. However, they are expected to constantly struggle for a 'top' position, and never give it freely. Both men and women are expected to marry and ensure children, regardless of theirpersonal preferences.

Children, somewhere in puberty get accepted by their father as sons and heirs. This is done by an initiation ritual where the mother (or other wife, or woman if she is dead) heats a branding iron and the father delivers his mark upon the boy's heart. He is given a sword and a young dog. From then on, the boy can officially be called upon to fight in battle, though usually training is continued a bit longer. If a boy becomes adult (16) without being rbanded, that is a great mark of shame for the father, and a life-threathening problem for the son. Some move away, some brand themselves with their own mark and struggle their way into society,some defeat their father and demand the brand, his personal weapon and his prize dog. Youths can also ask another man to brand and adopt them. This, obviously, is a source of great conflict.

girls are usually married away, but exceptions do occur. If a woman can convince her father, or someone else to brand her on the heart, rather than the belly, she is a fighter of equal social standing (though she'll constantly have to prove her mettle, but the Fathan consider that a plus) She cannot however,make her own mark upon a child. In fact, they are expected not to have children. If they do so, they must either give away the child or abandon their position as warrior. (they are free to have sexual relations though.)

There... enough for one post. (Damn,inspiration strike there)
                                Last edited by Rand Al'Tor; November 28, 2006, 02:35.

Comment

Working...
                                X