Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A billion years ago when aliens first arrived...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A billion years ago when aliens first arrived...

...on this Earth they built a great Civilization the evidence of which has long since subducted under the crust. The motion of the great plates were known to the aliens and their cities were intentionally built to subduct before the dawn of man according to the plan of their greatest mind, XZzbrt the Supreme, because...

(Story thread)

(This is why I never made story threads)

If Ming gets to it before Markos it will be deleted. If Markos gets to it before Ming it will be moved to the OT. If Dan gets to it before either it will be closed.

If any of them read the above before acting they'll vary their reaction so as not to be predictable.

If they read the above they'll do as predicted to show their resolve.

If they read the above then they're really bored.
    Long time member @ Apolyton
    Civilization player since the dawn of time

Re: A billion years ago when aliens first arrived...

Originally posted by Lancer
    ...on this Earth they built a great Civilization the evidence of which has long since subducted under the crust. The motion of the great plates were known to the aliens and their cities were intentionally built to subduct before the dawn of man according to the plan of their greatest mind, XZzbrt the Supreme, because...

(Story thread)

(This is why I never made story threads)

If Ming gets to it before Markos it will be deleted. If Markos gets to it before Ming it will be moved to the OT. If Dan gets to it before either it will be closed.

If any of them read the above before acting they'll vary their reaction so as not to be predictable.

If they read the above they'll do as predicted to show their resolve.

If they read the above then they're really bored.
    Lancer

Just asking, shouldn't this go in either the Stories thread or the OT which is what some folks had requested?

I ask, for in all fairness, this is community not stories and this may well help expedite the results from which you outlined above

Just sharing is all Lancer, just helping you see what i am sure you are already well aware of
    Hi, I'm RAH and I'm a Benaholic.-rah

Comment

Sure, I don't, erm, believe in the S&D forum and don't post in the OT because what's the point if it just gets deleted? However if Marcos moves it to the OT Ming can't very well delete it can he?

Duh. Come on Gramps, you should either know this by now or know better than to ask.

Comment

Sure, I don't, erm, believe in the S&D forum and don't post in the OT because what's the point if it just gets deleted? However if Marcos moves it to the OT Ming can't very well delete it can he?

Duh. Come on Gramps, you should either know this by now or know better than to ask.

sorry
        Attached Files
        Hi, I'm RAH and I'm a Benaholic.-rah

Comment

Guess who?

-------
          Dan; Apolyton CS
          PolyCast Co-Host, Owner and Producer: entertaining | informing civ
          >> PolyCast (Civ strategy), ModCast (Civ modding), TurnCast (Civ multiplay); One More Turn Dramedy

Comment

Darn! It got thrown into the void! I should have knoiwn this is what Dan would do!

Comment

Seems a fitting forum to me.

Comment

This would make the deep black abyss seem like Grand Freakin Central.

Hmm, maybe this really is where this thread belongs.

Comment

Garbage in, garbage out. Why should I post in your thread?
                  Lime roots and treachery!
                  "Eventually you're left with a bunch of unmemorable posters like Cyclotron, pretending that they actually know anything about who they're debating pointless crap with." - Drake Tungsten

Comment

Seriously. What's the point here?
                    "Bother," said Pooh, "Eeyore, ready two photon torpedoes and lock
                    phasers on the Heffalump. Piglet, meet me in transporter room
                    three. Christopher Robin, you have the bridge."

Comment

Are you guys disembodied souls frequenting the halls of the undead by any chance? Did you do some terrible evil that you should be shunned by the forums of the living and inhabit the dark corners of this dreary dungeon like the echoing screams of dieing threads?

Comment

You've summed it up accurately.

Let's see...

The motion of the great plates were known to the aliens and their cities were intentionally built to subduct before the dawn of man according to the plan of their greatest mind, XZzbrt the Supreme,
                        because...
                        ...they were a benevolent race, and powerful, and intelligent, but lacking in wisdom. Millennia before coming to earth they had tried to shepherd another younger race whose beginnings they had also extrapolated and watched with interest. Although their intentions had been good, their efforts failed and the results were disasterous. They had misjudged the maturity of that other race they had tried to mentor, and their interference ended up destroying the fledgling species, with the young civilization's last efforts before their extinction being expressions of bitter, hateful accusations against their would be benefactors.

How could the Trbzzx (for that is what they were called) have made such a mistake? How could all their genius and science have been wrong? Even after the fact, they could not figure it out, and that frightened them. Their equations and simulations told them that they should have been right, their efforts should have worked out...but if they could not rely on their science, what could they rely on?

For untold years their (rightful) confidence in their brilliance and competence had formed the cornerstone of all their actions and beliefs. They were a curious species, clever, enamored with living and knowledge and friendship and perspectives, and they desired to leave their mark upon the universe and have the universe leave its mark upon them...but they were, above even all these things, a responsible people, and they felt crippled, blinded by their weakness, their inability to assess their mistakes and the suddenly newfound likelihood that they would perpetrate some new disaster...or at the least that their fundamental philosophies were incorrect, or meaningless.

The Trbzzx could not be teachers. They would have to be learners. What once they sought to give to others they would have to wait patiently to receive from some yet to be realized race.

They used their technology to build chambers of sleep deep in the bowels of one world that would someday house the species that they believed could teach them. And they would have to be still, withdrawn, considerers of their position through passive observation only, lest they make further mistakes. They did not even trust themselves to contact the outside world. The outside world would have to come to them. So in their genius they left a subtle puzzle, whose existence would not even be known until the very answer to the puzzle was inadvertantly achieved. In this way, the Ttrbzzx hoped, their would-be teachers would come to find them and teach them their wisdom once they had achieved the knowledge and perspective necessary to unlock the puzzle.

On the blue-green-grey-brown-white world the surface species known as humans edged closer to accidentally discovering this puzzle...
                        Last edited by foolish_icarus; September 26, 2006, 02:15.
                        Those walls are absent of glory as they always have been. The people of tents will inherit this land.

Comment

Yeah... More or less. Not half bad, once you get past the dripping noises.

Comment

Are you guys disembodied souls frequenting the halls of the undead by any chance? Did you do some terrible evil that you should be shunned by the forums of the living and inhabit the dark corners of this dreary dungeon like the echoing screams of dieing threads?
                            Laugh it up all you want, but I get more +1s in a week of NES-ing than you do in a lifetime of OT-ing.
                            Lime roots and treachery!
                            "Eventually you're left with a bunch of unmemorable posters like Cyclotron, pretending that they actually know anything about who they're debating pointless crap with." - Drake Tungsten

Comment

Yeah, when people turn in orders.... Grr!

Comment

Working...
                              X