WM2000 Apolyton 1 Team Update

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WM2000 Apolyton 1 Team Update

It's been a while since I've posted an update here, and I've long since forgotten where our super secret forum for discussing the WM tourney issues is, but here's an update of where I am in the semifinal round (R3) of the WM2000.

The semifinal round has seven games, and each game (roughly) advances one player to the final game. The 49 players with the top R1+R2 scores were chosen, and Sahib (from Apolyton II) and I made it this far. Sahib had a solo, and a board top, and finished in the top five, while I had a board top and a second place, and was in the middle of the pack.

I don't know whether Sahib is still alive or not because the WM sebsite went bonkers and apparently will not be revived for the remainder of at least this round. The news in my game S05 is not good. I drew Turkey, and was moderately pleased , but also worried, because I'm not real good at attacking out of Turkey, and with only one nation to advance to the final, I didn't like my chances. I liked them less when Russia and Austria turned out to be previous aquaintances and highly accomplished players. They immediately agreed to anhilate me before ever speaking to me. Add to this the fact that Italy stabbed me three times during the course of the game, albeit ineffectually every time.

Well the early years of the game sucked out loud. Facing a three on one was not my idea of a good time. And man I've never spent so much time dipping on a game before trying desperately to come up with a plan to survive. For my efforts I have a back that would make a Swiss cheese blush, and an addiction to Tylenol. However, I managed to exact some revenge on Russia at some point convincing Austria to stab him after the umpteenth Russia lie. At this point Russia QUIT the game in a huff and went off to pout! Can you believe it? This guy with a heavy rep walked out on a salvagable position in a WM semifinal! whattapussy!!!

Anyway, Austria took a huge lead and at one time was offer me puppet status and survival in return for the use of my fleets against Italy. But at the time I had three units and only one fleet, and was surreounded by my "ally". I was willing to help him, but Austria (who is Orange_1's opponent in the DW tourney) is a serious sneaky bastard, and was only trying to dupe me into leaving my centers open for him. So after several seasons of more lies from Austria, and after surviving the third Italian stab, I was able to organize a grand alliance to thwart Austria from what one was looking like a certain solo.

At the current stage (pending Fall 1908, see map below) the grand alliance has frayed. England and Germany are bitter enemies, and both have forfieted chances to WIN and advance to the final game to pursue the pointless fued between themselves.
    I'm back at four units, and allied with Italy against Austria, though Italy is suddenly reluctant to attack him for some reason??? Hell, Italy even has the go-ahead from England to seek victory and the promise of English support against Germany to theat effect.

Latest news coverage, email, free stock quotes, live scores and video are just the beginning. Discover more every day at Yahoo!

This game is Italy's to lose in my view. I'm afraid that any chance of advacing to the final game is over for me. However, if I can help Italy win I will have both survived a brutal onslaught against highly accomplished players, and gotten the ultimate revenge on them both. The kingmaker role isn't necessarily a proud one, but damn it can be gratifying....

Sorry guys. I wish I'd done better for us. I really did give it my all.
    Last edited by RUFFHAUS 8; February 28, 2002, 10:25.
    What is best in life? Crush your enemy! See him driven before you. And to hear the lamentation of his women.

At least you made it this far, I got squashed in 6 years in my second game. Congrats.
    Lets always remember the passangers on United Flight 93, true heroes in every sense of the word!

(Quick! Someone! Anyone! Sava! Come help! )-mrmitchell

Comment

from the looks of things you have great shot at destroying Austria with Italy
      "Chegitz, still angry about the fall of the Soviet Union in 1991?
      You provide no source. You PROVIDE NOTHING! And yet you want to destroy capitalism.. you criminal..." - Fez

"I was hoping for a Communist utopia that would last forever." - Imran Siddiqui

Comment

Originally posted by orange
        from the looks of things you have great shot at destroying Austria with Italy
        Oh, that is the objective! Believe me
        What is best in life? Crush your enemy! See him driven before you. And to hear the lamentation of his women.

Comment

Originally posted by RUFFHAUS 8
          Oh, that is the objective! Believe me
          I wonder why Italy is being so reluctant

He's got Greece easy, a shot at Triste, and it's not like he'd have the Austrian beast turning on him and him alone, he's got you and Germany (unless they're allied) to worry about as well!!
          "Chegitz, still angry about the fall of the Soviet Union in 1991?
          You provide no source. You PROVIDE NOTHING! And yet you want to destroy capitalism.. you criminal..." - Fez

"I was hoping for a Communist utopia that would last forever." - Imran Siddiqui

Comment

Well, sorry to hear. And even more sorry that my own news are not much better:

I´m playing in S7 and just like Randolph I drew I country that I don´t like too much: Austria. (funny enough I had germany and Italy in the first rounds, all the middle powers) And what´s even worse, my Turkey was Brian Dennehy, who knows my game very well and my Russia Ken Samland, who is a notorious stabber and lyer. STill, I managed to survive the opening.

The game then went into total stabbing mode: every year everbody stabbed anybody - and I really mean it, just an example: Italy stabbed me three times, I stabbed him four times, always re-allying and cooperating between stabs.

In 1907 I finally managed to deliver a blow to Brian Dennehy that got me to 8 and in the game lead tied with germany (my ally). Yet at the same time England made some huge mistakes that put Germany in excellent position to win. As a result, Turkey and I needed to ally to stop Germany. Yet Brian did not trust me and although I made the anti-german moves, he did not and stabbed me in S08.

F08 is next and I will most likely be down to 6. Stupid Brian, because he kicked himself out of the game as well, as it looks right now he cannot win. Neither can I, unless a mirracle (NMR) happens.

Perhaps I´ll still finish in the top 20 or even top 10, but that won´t make me happy.
            Next time more luck hopefully.

cheers
            Sascha

Comment

Well, S05 is over. I forgot that the games ended in 1909. For some reason when I posted this before I thought that the semifinals were a full game. I know that the final game is.

Anyway, I was able to guide Italy to a 11-11 tie with Austria, as he took 3 SCs in 1909, but Germany, who actually had a chance to WIN dumped two centers to Austria on the last turn in a pathetic poutfest. UFB!

Unfortunately my Austrian adversary (Egbert Ferreira) holds the tiebreaker and will advance to the final. Orange 1, this is the guy playing Russia in your Yahoo game. He's the biggest bullsh!t artist on the planet. He could sell ice to the Eskimos....

So, my run in the 2000 WM comes to a disappointing finish. I was triple teamed in Spring 1901, and knocked out of serious contention early. And then even my kingmaker move came up a (un+ hair short of success. All in all a poor showing for me in R3.

Good luck Sahib, you're our last hope....

Comment

hope gone, finished on 4 SCs (4th of 7, no eliminations) I tried all and lost a lot, down to 4 from 8 only one season ago. Mike Weinziemer advances in my game.

Comment

It's too sad that our people loose. But from reading I saw that you did your best.

Where is the site for this WM2000, so maybe I could catch up and watch the finals?

Comment

Working...
                  X