How did you discover Diplomacy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How did you discover Diplomacy?

I just thugh it would be interesting to hear how all the veterans here discovered diplomacy and became so good?

How did I?

I always saw the board game in shops but had no idea how can a game with 2 tpes of pieces become so intriguing. "Just regular game hype" I thought.

And I didn't buy it. Luckaly, since I didn't have then type of people to play with then.

But years later, when I was at yoav's place, I knew he played risk with people and I didn't know what it was. I played it on the PC and didn't like it too much.

So then he said he read about some similar but mroe intriguing game and downloaded a map and basic rules.

We didnt' ahve the rulebook so we invented some of the rules.

And Taurus, Yoav, Dr. tzuri and I played it.

Later a friend of ours said he had bough a version of the board game. Then we read the rule book and played better.

I usually lost and was naive in the beginning, but I must say, there were many very fun games.

Especially one game in which a serious double crossing ahppenned.

Taurus often used to behave in a Machievelian way and double cross. I learnt it and tried to expect this.

So this one turn, I convince Yoav to betray Taurus, and Taurus to betray Yoav, promising each person I'm on his side. At the time, I had no idea who am I going to align with.

Only a minute before I wrote the orders I decided to stick to Yoav since he is more relaible.

When we were reading out the orders:

Yoav betrays Taurus
    Taurus betrays Yoav and Me
    I betray Taurus.

THe exchange of looks and laughs about how we all anticiapted each other was very fun.

I am glad you are intrigued and like the game, NOW, get your ADCB moves in or you can explain what an NMR is in your thread!
    Lets always remember the passangers on United Flight 93, true heroes in every sense of the word!

(Quick! Someone! Anyone! Sava! Come help! )-mrmitchell

Comment

ROFL Defiant... classic.

Personally I believe I owe it to Mssrs. Boshko and Ruhland (Porphyrogenitus).
      Visit the Vote UK Discussion Forum!

Comment

I found diplomacy I was usually just having things to do in story threads on the OT forum. There was a few diplomacy games going on the OT forum so I decide to join one. This was before the Stories & Diplomacy Forum split with the Off-Topic Forum.

Comment

College. A group of us in Legion West Roleplaying and Wargaming Consortium got into a game of European one afternoon (fronted by none other than MDR) and I was hooked.

But I do not consider myself a veteran.
          His Divine Shadow
          zeon_archduchy@hotmail.com

"Do you know what 'nemesis' means? A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent. Personified, in this case, by a horrible c**t: me." - Bricktop, _Snatch_

Comment

That's OK, HDS, we don't consider you a veteran either
            Lets always remember the passangers on United Flight 93, true heroes in every sense of the word!

Comment

High School.

I was taught by Jesuit Priests. We made copies of the European map and put it on cork board. If you were the first one to go on a clean map, your name would be written into Iceland. It would stay there until the map had too many pushpin holes. We played one turn a day during the school week. Did I mention the map was kept on public display in the main hall?
              "I kick a$$ for the Lord!"
              -- Father McGruder, Peter Jackson's _Dead Alive_

Comment

Cool stories!

Do you have any speical stories about maybe any game you remember epecially and found very intriguing?

Defiant, I sent those

Comment

Siro,
                  You got them to me, just in time
                  How did your math problem go, can you list the answer here, I am interested in the answer.

And...... for the purpose of an answer to this thread, I learned from a group of guys in college and for about 4 years afterwards we would spend all day playing on New Year's Day, not much to do up here when it is 40 below zero.

Comment

I was talking to some people at one of these forums (the Firaxis one? or owo? can't recall) and someone said I should try diplomacy, and I did... then I played in the WM two years ago. That was my first game on the standard map, and the first game I ever completed
                    "The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists."
                    -Joan Robinson

Comment

I believe it was Coug who told me about it over ICQ one day, but to be honest I can't remember And this was only 6 or 7 months ago so I should be able to remember who told me.
                      "Chegitz, still angry about the fall of the Soviet Union in 1991?
                      You provide no source. You PROVIDE NOTHING! And yet you want to destroy capitalism.. you criminal..." - Fez

"I was hoping for a Communist utopia that would last forever." - Imran Siddiqui

Comment

(Stories? I've got one or two. MDR, feel free to fill in the gaps, as my memory isn't so hot these days.)

I think it was the second or third European game we played at Texas Tech. MDR was playing France, I was Austria. The player who was England was a relative newbie (so was I, for that matter) who had a hate-on for MDR since the beginning of the game, and caused nothing but endless problems, to the point he was becoming personally insulting. For some bizarre reason, he decided to curry favor with me for the purposes of destroying MDR's France. MDR and I had been aliied since the start, and we'd both profited favorably from it. England is positioned for maximum effect against France being able to expand in the Atlantic, and it becomes necessary that to finish off Germany, MDR has to go through English units, which will take too much time. So I start playing double agent. MDR and I get together that evening (it was 1 turn a day) and scheme some horrid duplicity that involves him stabbing me and me getting very upset by it. We hatch the plan the next turn.

Theater classes finally coming in handy, I get wroth with righteous indignation at the slight France has visited on me, yell and scream in MDR's face, and storm out of the room vowing vengeance. The guy playing England follows me and swears that he will do any and all in his power to assist me in ridding the universe of France. After an hour or so of me venting hatred and him promising me eternal loyalty, I get a phone call in my dorm room from MDR. Still faking Heaven's wrath, I refuse to talk to him and pass the phone to the guy playing England, who proceeds in the most smug manner he can muster to inform MDR that I will never speak to him again and that he's going to get his ass kicked. After some minutes of this (and me trying not to laugh out loud), he hangs up the phone and we start cooking up a grand strategy. I do most of the thinking () and get him to maneuver his forces so that France can literally destroy England in one turn. It all goes downhill from there. The next turn, there are French fleets in Edinburgh, Clyde, and the English Channel, and England's navy is too far away to stop the advance before the disband phase.

Later that day, the England player calls MDR on the phone and APOLOGIZES for whatever he did that pissed MDR off enough that he felt the need to stab him!
                        His Divine Shadow
                        zeon_archduchy@hotmail.com

"Do you know what 'nemesis' means? A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent. Personified, in this case, by a horrible c**t: me." - Bricktop, _Snatch_

Comment

Nice story.

Anymore such stories?

I btw played a match per day. Meaning friends gathered for a couple of hours and played out

Comment

Here's another one.

Yoav, Taurus, Roi (RL friend), Daniel (RL friend), Dr. Tzuri and I played a game.

I was russia and was allied with Taurus - England.

Roi was Tukey, Tzuri - Austria. Yoav France. Daniel was Germany. Italy was neutral i think.

I odn't rmeember it all that well

Anyway, after a long few turns, Germany was mine and I started counquering austria. I talked to tzuri and then tipped off whoever was Turkey about his upcoming strike, which was met with resistance and succefulyl conquered a city. Then I talked aobut a plan with Taurus- the strongest on the board. He wasn't able to do anything and was bored.

Then I and Taurus proceeded to plan things against Tzuri, when suddenly, Taurus Then Taurus attacked Yoav (who was also bored since he wouldnt' attack his brother - Tzuri) only proceeding to conquer 4 of my 8 cities and Tzuri succesfully recovered against Turkey and Me.

I was mad as hell, and Taurus said he was just bored as he had nothing to do.

Still, France and I united against him, not very successfully but still.

In another game, I remember Radically chaning sides after 2 allignments were created. 3 - 4. Then I changed sides.

Fun times

Comment

I vaz indoctrinated like a good little dipper by Ruffhaus and Defiant who took it in turns to beat viz ze stick vhen I found my vay into zis forum.

Comment

Working...
                              X