newbie here!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• newbie here!

though i´am not an apolyton rookie i visit this forum the first time. i never heared about diplomacy before but i like what i see.

-seems to be turn based.....?
    -how long does a turn/game take?
    -where can i find rules?
    -is it difficult?
    -how can i participate?
    -do i need software/anything else?
    -who makes the maps?
    -how many people play in a game?
    -how many people play this game here?
    -is there something i really should know?

well, many quesions, enough for the moment.

------------------
    god made weed.....you don´t really think he fails sometimes?

weed god, chief of EUROPA
    visit EUROPA: www.multispieler.de
    weird god, EUROPA

*cowers in fear at inability to answer*

Comment

1. Yes, it is turn-based, but all players submit their orders at one time, then move on to the next turn, and then so on. All events occur at the same time per turn. So you could call it real-time in a year-by-year basis.

2. A turn usually takes 3-5 days, which is average for a good-sized map. If it's a larger map, turns will be longer, and if it's the winter adjustment or retreats, turns are usually very short. A game can take anywhere from a few months to more than a year.

3. The official rulebook isn't available on the internet because it's the property of Avalon Hill and they don't like it when we put up the rules up on the 'net. However, there are tutorials abound including one right here at Apolyton, but the best way to learn is to jump right into a game and pick it up along the way. The Diplomacy Pouch is a great resource.

4. The semantics of the game itself is easy to grasp. The hard part is figuring out who's your allies and who's not, and who's lying and who's telling the truth.

5. You participate by becoming a player -- taking up a nation -- and that's it.

6. No, you don't. Usually, the GM (or another player) provides a map for you to plan your moves, so that's the only item you need, as well as your brain and instincts.

7. The maps are modified from year-to-year by the GM or a designated game mapmaker. The maps themselves have been designed by countless Diplomacy players. The standard (otherwise known as vanilla) map was designed by Avalon Hill, as well as the Colonial map.

8. Usually 7 to 9, but it can go as high as 18. It depends on the map.

9. Which game?

10. Are you willing to undergo your baptism of fire here?

[This message has been edited by LordStone1 (edited January 25, 2001).]
      The honorary duty of a human being
      is to love, I am human and nothing
      human can be alien to me.

-Maya Angelou

Comment

There is a newbie game going on right now and I filled a position just to get the game going, if you like you can have my nation(Italy) and I will guide you through the first few moves. What do you say?
        Lets always remember the passangers on United Flight 93, true heroes in every sense of the word!

(Quick! Someone! Anyone! Sava! Come help! )-mrmitchell

Comment

sounds interesting...guess i´ll try it. i´m busy in jan, but i´ve the whole feb off. please let me know when i can join in and thx for taking me up as a newbie - mentors are way better than books

oh, question 9 wasn´t precise. i wanted to know how many players are active diplos here at apolyton.
          weird god, EUROPA

Comment

WG,
            You will miss the next turn, but that is OK, we will be only two turns into the game. Come back and post under the "Newbie Game" thread and I will find you.
            There are about 14-20 Dip players here at Apolyton.
            Lets always remember the passangers on United Flight 93, true heroes in every sense of the word!

(Quick! Someone! Anyone! Sava! Come help! )-mrmitchell

Comment

Working...
            X