No announcement yet.

ADC Player Rankings - January 2001

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The disagreement is really over the definition of winning. Since vicotry conditions state at set number of centers, usually 50% ot the total, Diplomacy is by nature a very difficult game to win. On the larger maps, this is even more so. I would be very suprised to see a solo victory on onw of the larger maps like imperial and 20th Century. In fact you are seeing first hand just how difficult getting a victory in Dip 22 is.

Now I think you can walk away from Dip 22 knowing that you were the best position in the game, but unless you get to 43 SCs or have a concession vote, you technically do not win. Semantics perhaps, but that's the game. Some games establish a time limit and declare the winner as the one with the most centers when the game is over (like the WM games). But these are the 'house rules' games. Traditional Diplomacy rules have a set victory condition.

[This message has been edited by RUFFHAUS8 (edited January 24, 2001).]

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by RUFFHAUS8 on 01-21-2001 11:47 AM
      Mapmaking points noted, LordStone.

(I don't suppose you'd care to share one with me for the several turns that I covered you?)

Get in the queue, matey

Comment

There's one more problem. Victory conditions are 43 SCs Berzerker, but now there's a stalemate line from Tus to Kazakstan, and Gib is all that needs to be closed in order to ensure that even if no draw was agreed to, no further centers would trade hands, thus making victory impossible for you, so the best position is good but in this case and others like it, no matter the length of the game, the rest of the world remains free.
        "The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists."
        -Joan Robinson

Comment

Bahhhh... 34, 43, what's the difference?

Just wishful thinking on my part, I suppose.

Comment

Working...
          X