Hellenistic Era NES

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hellenistic Era NES

In 334 BC, near the beginning of his campaign in Persia, Alexander and his army fought the battle of Granicus River. The Macedonian army soundly defeated the Persian army, but Alexander, fighting in the thick of things, was slain. So the Macedonian army, much like Xenophon’s 10 thousand 67 years before, had to fight their way, leaderless, out of Persia. This blow to both Macedon, now without a ruler, and an already weak Persia, gave strength to the independence movements within their territories. The Greek lands once again began bickering and sorting into alliances, and whole regions fought to escape Persian control.

It is now 325 BC. Progress will be 5 years/day unless otherwise noted

There follows a nation list and an explanation of the stats. If you would like a nation that is not listed, simply post stat recommendations and I will put your country on the map. If needed, additional maps will be posted.

Comprehensive Nation Simulator (CNS). Ancient Version.

military effectiveness (combination of training, equipment, leadership, ability to project force and respond quickly, etc. Measures whether your military is capable of defending on home front only or able to move long distances into adjacent areas.) : embarrassing, poor, average, good, exceptional

secret police : limited, basic, adequate, professional, extensive, ubiquitous, [strength of spies, intelligence gathering, assassinations, etc.]

Common living conditions (how well the average person lives, includes social infrastructure such as universities, public utilities, availability of goods and consumer items) : Abysmal, Squalid, Poor, Average, Good, Very Good, Exceptional

Military levels :

None, Infinitesimal, Tiny, Small, Medium, Large, Very Large, Huge, Enormous, Outrageous

Economy (Average commercial health) :

Primitive, Backwards, Poor, Struggling, Average, Good, Thriving, Exceptional, Glorious, Awe Inspiring

Discontent (Amount of unhappiness, different forms of governments can handle different amounts of unhappiness, and it will be manifested in different ways) :

Insignificant, Minor, Some, Significant, Worrisome, Open Revolt

Tech Level :

Just to generally keep track of how advanced things are, projects, don’t need to be too specific, e.g. “The Bloatian peoples have no knowledge of metallurgy, mathematics, stonecutting, or literature, but are the best stick carvers in the world. They ride into battle on pigs.”

Empire Rating (This is on an absolute scale, so small countries will only be able to have moderate ratings. This includes physical infrastructure, such as roads, mines, engineers, barracks, armories, dockyars, NOT to be confused with social infrastructure, which is covered in Common Living conditions ) :

primitive, scattered, inadequate, limited, varied, sufficient, plentiful, extensive, burgeoning, awesome

Government/Society :

Blurb, e.g. “Absolute despotism enforced by a merciless secret police force. Despite this, the population is annoyingly upbeat and optimistic” etc. Can also include miscellaneous information, such as social mobility, etc., whatever you feel needs to be noted.
    Those walls are absent of glory as they always have been. The people of tents will inherit this land.

Magna Graeca
    Army: Small
    Navy: Medium
    Military Effectiveness: Average
    Secret Police: Adequate
    Common Living Conditions: Poor
    Economy: Good
    Discontent: Some
    Tech Level:
    Empire Rating: Inadequate
    Government/Society: Alliance of city state ruled by dictator, occasional aristocratic councils

Rome
    Army: Medium
    Navy: Infinitesimal
    Secret Police: Basic
    Economy: Average
    Tech Level:
    Government/Society: Patrician Republic (Rome) dominates ally and subject states

Macedon
    Navy: Tiny
    Military Effectiveness: Good
    Economy: Struggling
    Discontent: Significant
    Tech Level:
    Empire Rating: Scattered
    Government/Society: Kingdom with supreme leader and subject nobles

Carthage
    Tech Level:
    Government/Society: Oligarchy with magisterial rule.

Sparta
    Common Living Conditions: Squalid
    Tech Level:
    Government/Society: Alliance dominated by Sparta, limited suffrage consensus-democracy under a rigid code of law.

Athens
    Tech Level:
    Government/Society: Alliance dominated by Athens, limited democracy

Lydia [Sardis]
    Military Effectiveness: Poor
    Tech Level:
    Government/Society: Kingdom

Egypt
    Navy: Small
    Tech Level:
    Government/Society: Bureaucratic kingdom.

Persia
    Discontent: Oven Revolt
    Tech Level:
    Empire Rating: Limited
    Government/Society: Multiple nations combined under the absolute rule of an emperor.

starting map
    Attached Files
    Last edited by foolish_icarus; April 28, 2004, 18:53.
    Those walls are absent of glory as they always have been. The people of tents will inherit this land.

Comment

updated nation stats

320 BC

Magna Graeca - icarii
      Economy: Good
      Tech Level:
      Government/Society: Alliance of city state ruled by dictator, occasional aristocratic councils

Macedon- foolish icarus
      Secret Police: Professional
      Tech Level:
      Government/Society: Kingdom with supreme leader and subject nobles

Carthage - Micha
      Tech Level:
      Government/Society: Oligarchy with magisterial rule.

Athens - Comrade Tassadar
      Tech Level:
      Government/Society: Alliance dominated by Athens, limited democracy

Persia - bipolarbear
      Army: Large
      Discontent: Oven Revolt
      Tech Level:
      Empire Rating: Limited
      Government/Society: Multiple nations combined under the absolute rule of an emperor.

Rome
      Tech Level:
      Government/Society: Patrician Republic (Rome) dominates ally and subject states

Sparta
      Tech Level:
      Government/Society: Alliance dominated by Sparta, limited suffrage consensus-democracy under a rigid code of law.

Lydia [Sardis]
      Discontent: Worrisome
      Tech Level:
      Government/Society: Kingdom

Egypt
      Army: Large
      Navy: Small
      Tech Level:
      Government/Society: Bureaucratic kingdom.
      Last edited by foolish_icarus; April 29, 2004, 20:45.

Comment

Senator Freeman and I would liek to request Persia.
        So is this like king mitchell's, or do we have to report our decisions to you, and then you control what happens?(Think Olympika bus trip)
        Lysistrata: It comes down to this: Only we women can save Greece.
        Kalonike: Only we women? Poor Greece!

Comment

Please let the mod decide the outcome of decisions! I hate people writing "We disembark a billion troops at a foreign country and win easily, annex the country and then the world is conquered".

I will take over Carthage! Hopefully some others are joining in...
          Heinrich, King of Germany, Duke of Saxony in Cyclotron's amazing Holy Roman Empire NES
          Let me eat your yummy brain!
          "be like Micha!" - Cyclotron

Comment

How about this huge mediterrenean map? It has a good extend, is "only" 300 kB in size (3500x2700 pixles) but can be zoomed to a city detail level
            I have extracted it from a perfectly two-coloured bmp, which was almost 27 MB in size. The jpeg here is also good quality, but when filling in the colours, you might have to work with the coastlines...
            Heinrich, King of Germany, Duke of Saxony in Cyclotron's amazing Holy Roman Empire NES

Comment

good job Micha
              I'll see what I can do.

As for the updating, you guys decide. Please note that I may only be able to do full updates ever 2 or 3 days. If someone else that has more available time would like to take over, you're welcome to.

Comment

Perhaps we could share the updates? Like every second one done by you, the rest by me? Problem is that people will disagree with mods playing countries, so we need much more players to do so.

I have started advertisement on SCC Forums for this thread, they have a stable and active NES community there. Please also have a look at the NES linked in my signature

Comment

I claim Magna Graeca, and this time nothing like that comatose powder.

Comment

Here's my proposal :

Waiting for updates tends to slow things down. Just carry on self-updating, and if there is any problem, it can be resolved. I will keep an eye on stats and expansion and decide on unresolvable player disputes. I would also play as a country if there are no objections.

Regardless, with one more player we can start.

Comment

Please let the mod decide the outcome of decisions! I hate people writing "We disembark a billion troops at a foreign country and win easily, annex the country and then the world is conquered".
                      Yes I agree completely, except, I wish to reatin the right to create a Morganius Freemanibus Alliance, within reason.

Comment

Persia would like to appeal to its citizens. \The leaders of Persia would like to hear the demands of the citizens. We would liek to keep the citizens from revolting.

Comment

Originally posted by bipolarbear
                          Yes I agree completely, except, I wish to reatin the right to create a Morganius Freemanibus Alliance, within reason.
                          No. You cannot control other nations. This is exactly what I meant. Your MFA soon grew bigger than Europe, and you were the only one who determined that. You cannot name a nation that then becomes your ally.
                          You can offer an alliance, but the mod should answer it. That´s the way to go. And that´s the very reason why a mod shouldn´t play a country himself.

If you can get more countries, I´d like to be the mod. I would then drop my claims on Carthage...

Comment

And bibolar: Please stop double-posting.

Comment

No. You cannot control other nations. This is exactly what I meant. Your MFA soon grew bigger than Europe, and you were the only one who determined that. You cannot name a nation that then becomes your ally.
                              You can offer an alliance, but the mod should answer it. That´s the way to go. And that´s the very reason why a mod shouldn´t play a country himself.

If you can get more countries, I´d like to be the mod. I would then drop my claims on Carthage...

Comment

Working...
                              X