An Old-Timer Comes to Rest...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• An Old-Timer Comes to Rest...

Greetings. Many of you here may not know me, but I was here waaaaay back in the heyday of stories. Today's World, World 1999, etc. I was wondering what was going on with stories now. We seem to have these "Never Ending Stories" here...what's that about? Any of the old vets still around?
    Who wants DVDs? Good prices! I swear!

*waves at Mao*

Comment

I would be one of the new kids.....

I shall attempt to explain Never Ending Stories, the concept is really quite neat and I encourage you to join one (SNESA: Absolution is open, an infinite amount of spots)

Nevernding Stories were conceived at Civfanatics by CBraud and das, the idea began to compile the stories of assorted leaders utilizing a world map and the civ3 nations, I personally played Persia in what I beleive to be the first game and went on to found SNES, which has failed a great many times. The Original games were entirely unmoderated, noone sought to impose order over the storytellers and yet all managed to be good.

However, over the course of time people began to make moves which can only be defined as unrealistic, and the person who started the thread and took it upon himself to update the map began to see a need to set patterns of behavior which were acceptable, he began doing battle calculations for the players, since he updated the map, and soonb moderation seeped into the game, transorming it into a board game rather than a story, storytelling gradually became less important to the players and they would mostly do orders and Diplomacy with the other nations.

I take personal responsibility for bringing the idea to Apolyton. My SNESA, a Cold War game in which Canada sided with the USSR and Poland eventually conqured the world, lasted only a short time but received a mass of participation, as I put the rules there:

General NES Rules for Newbies
      1. Everyone Picks a civ
      2. They Write about what that Civ does in the NES
      3. It is not based on a civ game
      The Apolyton NES has eventually evoilved into a semi-moderated anarchy in which free thought is encouraged. To put things simply I would say that it was a less complicated Diplo Game, but I am unsure of what a DiploGame entails.
      Read Blessed be the Peacemakers | Read Political Freedom | Read Pax Germania: A Story of Redemption | Read Unrelated Matters | Read Stains of Blood and Ash | Read Ripper: A Glimpse into the Life of Gen. Jack Sterling | Read Deutschland Erwachte! | Read The Best Friend | Read A Mothers Day Poem | Read Deliver us From Evil | Read The Promised Land

Comment

hehe...nice documentary, Ski.

Comment

I remember reading one of those stories before I registered...

Anyways, the stories and rumours preceed you Mao.

Comment

uh oh...lol

Ski, I'm not sure if you'd remember the old story threads, but would you know if there's any significant difference? Not that I care, I'm just glad stories have made a return to this forum.

On another note, since all the old fogies have left, this forum seems to have gone into a deja vu phase as a lot of it is repeating the stuff we went through about four years ago. The arguments between realists and whatnot. Sounds like fun. I think I'll be an observer for a while, it'd be interesting to see this from an outsider's point of view.

btw - If anyone's interested, there's a place called "The Frontier" that grew off of posters from Apolyton and SidGames way back. It's full of story threads that are more developed. If anyone's interested, e-mail me. I feel kinda bad putting the link up because it might draw players away from Ski's games.

Also, anything interesting happen in this forum in the past year or so since I was gone?

Comment

Apolyton NESs in general are unmoderated. There is "reality police" to stop unrealistic things, and the person who starts it often controls the unclaimed nations and occasionally resolves disputes, but except for the new SNESA and pugnes and a few failed NESs almost a year ago (UKNES, UsNes), they have been unmodded. Overall, though, they have been gradually becoming more moderated

Comment

Yeah, it didn't make a whole lotta sense in the end for the documentary to be here, It just flowed out and ended up here, no I don't remember any stories here. I considered mnnot putting up the documentary for a moment before i decided: what the hell, and almost just copied and pasted a CFC thread 'NES Concepts for Newbies'
                Read Blessed be the Peacemakers | Read Political Freedom | Read Pax Germania: A Story of Redemption | Read Unrelated Matters | Read Stains of Blood and Ash | Read Ripper: A Glimpse into the Life of Gen. Jack Sterling | Read Deutschland Erwachte! | Read The Best Friend | Read A Mothers Day Poem | Read Deliver us From Evil | Read The Promised Land

Comment

wow...this all sounds very very familiar...more power to you guys, I"m really glad "stories" or NESs are coming back!

Comment

Mao you should join one
                    First Master, Banan-Abbot of the Nana-stary, and Arch-Nan of the Order of the Sacred Banana.
                    Marathon, the reason my friends and I have been playing the same hotseat game since 2006...

Comment

...and maybe I will...but I'm lacking in time now

Also, not to sound too arrogant, an entire generation of story threaders passed through these hallowed halls already, I personally like watching you guys, as you remind me of...well...us...

Cheers guys, and always remember that it's just a game. Have fun!

...and who knows...maybe soon I will join...

Comment

coolios
                        First Master, Banan-Abbot of the Nana-stary, and Arch-Nan of the Order of the Sacred Banana.
                        Marathon, the reason my friends and I have been playing the same hotseat game since 2006...

Comment

Wow Mao...I'm touched.

Comment

*joins Mao in the grandstand watching all the newbies*

Where the hell you been, Mao? E-mail me sometime, i've missed chatting with ya.

And yes, for those who don't know me. I'm another vet who's been here a tad over three years now. Back in the days of Suriname and World 1999 when 'Poly still only had about 10,000 members instead of the million or so we have now...

Hell, noone even knows who Spink & YYYH are these days. It's a darn shame. All these youngins breaking tradition!

Comment

Everyone knows that Spink is Boddington's or whatever his new username is. He's the most revered OT troll, AFAIK.

Comment

Working...
                              X