Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Diplomacy help

Hi

I haven't played diplomacy much and have just entered into a email game with some of my freinds

I am germany

I wonder if people would be willing to answer some of my questions here and give me advice (at different stages of the game even)

I don't know any of the known good plays or plays to watch for or anything

Jon Miller
    Jon Miller-
    I AM.CANADIAN
    GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

that should give you some idea on how to play Germany. Here's some general advice. Talk to everyone, even when your killing them. Focus your resources on one target, don't relent until that country is dead, rinse, wash and repeat. The less military your using to insure against attack, the more you have to go on the offensive. However, if you misjudge this, you put yourself at greater risk for a stab. Don't give up even against overwhelming odds, the tables can turn quickly and a stab can change your position dramatically.
    ku eshte shpata eshte feja
    Where the Sword is, There lies religion

Comment

Also, set up DMZ's when such would make sense, so that if France, Britian or Russia moves in the wrong space, you have a little more warning that they're planning to attack. Also try to put yourself in another shoes, and try to figure out what the country is trying to do. Not just what they tell you, but what reasoning your neighbors would have for each move. If it doesn't make sense, be more on guard against a stab. Also be aware of when your opponents leave themselves open and take advantage of the situation.

Comment

play Turkey off of Russia and France off of England. A juggernaut or a western alliance will spell curtains for you.

Not that I do that
        "Chegitz, still angry about the fall of the Soviet Union in 1991?
        You provide no source. You PROVIDE NOTHING! And yet you want to destroy capitalism.. you criminal..." - Fez

"I was hoping for a Communist utopia that would last forever." - Imran Siddiqui

Comment

well currently russia wants me to not bounce him on sweden, and to not move towards warsaw

he is offering to support me against norway

britain wants me to bounce russia at sweden, and suggests that we allie against him

france wants to ally against england, but while he talks big about the future, is mostly now just suggesting that we split the lowlands

Jon miller
          Jon Miller-
          I AM.CANADIAN
          GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

two votes for anti-England, one vote for anti-Russia...

your call
            You provide no source. You PROVIDE NOTHING! And yet you want to destroy capitalism.. you criminal..." - Fez

Comment

I'd say use the opportunity to take out England. Corner powers are always the most difficult to take out, and often cause the most aggravation. Just keep in mind that in the long term Russia is your biggest threat and it's not in your benefit to let him grow. Try to make sure Russia stays occupied in the south, give Austria and Turkey warning of Russias plans, and see if you can get them to ally against Russia to balance things out while you grab England.

Comment

france wants to move f-pic and a-bur

I think that this is really anti-me

am I right?

Jon Miller
                Jon Miller-
                I AM.CANADIAN

Comment

yes, spot on.

Tell him absolutely not, prearrange a bounce in Bur if he's scared, or just work with England

Comment

I have talked more with france

he says that he would be willing to do pic and channel

but he wants to ally with me

I suggested he might do portugal and give me belgium (or I would give him belgium) (if we are allied, why shuold he waste a fleet going there?)

right now I am saying that I will work with all three (my first move will look like it is working with all three, if france moves channel it will look like he is agaisnt england)

Jon Miller
                    Jon Miller-
                    I AM.CANADIAN

Comment

Russia now wants me to go agaisnt austria (Early)

but I want to have my troops up north taking the lowlands and denmark

Jon Miller
                      Jon Miller-
                      I AM.CANADIAN

Comment

I just may have been stupid, I told russia that england and france both want me to ally with them

and than I told him may move against italy (actually I implied it) at the behest of france

Jon Miller
                        Jon Miller-
                        I AM.CANADIAN

Comment

I am thinking of telling italy that france has it in for him right before his moves are due

that way I might make it so that france is not the dominant member of any alliance I have with him (which is what I am leaning right now)

Jon Miller
                          Jon Miller-
                          I AM.CANADIAN

Comment

how do you move against Italy?

Don't move against Austria if you're moving against England. Peace with Austria for Germany is almost a given in most cases. Very rarely will you ever see otherwise.

Comment

actually, I was going to suggest something similar about Italy. Italy really doesn't have much to do other attack France. I'd see how far your french takes you, but have Italy ready for a stab, especially if he tries to take you out first.

I'd go farther then not helping Russia out against Austria, which would be to your detriment. I'd warn Austria of an impending attack. It looks like Russia and Turkey are probably allied, which means that Italy and Austria together will probably be needed to stop them. In which case, it's to your benefit to work with France for now, but be ready to stab him with Italy at some point in the future. Feel free to make some noises about helping France against Italy at some point in the future, but only once England is eliminated. In reality though, I don't see any benefit from such a move, but it may help to make him think your going to help him here.

Comment

Working...
                              X