X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dip 62: Not So Newbie Diplomacy Winter 1909 Results - ENDS IN F/B DRAW

Dip 62: Not So Newbie Diplomacy Winter 1909 Results

PRESS:
    - TREATY OF DUBLIN SIGNED BY ALL EUROPEAN POWERS - PEACE IN EUROPE!!
    - Crowds Celebrate Across The Continent
    - Huge Sigh Of Relief Heard In Sevastapol And Ankara

GM COMMENTS:
    Two-way draw agreed by all players. Congratualtions to France and Britain, a very-well played game and nice to see 2 players stick with each other through the game without a single stab. Thankyou to all the players who got involved in this game, especially the newbies - I hope you enjoyed it and will continue to play Diplomacy.

ORDERS:

FRANCE - November Adam
    Build A-Par
    Build F-Mar

RUSSIA - End Is Forever
    Disband F-Sev

I haven't bothered to do a map, just use your imagination. Thanks again and I would welcome an EOG statement from you all about how the game went.
    "Life is like a bag of Revells - you're always searching for The Orange One"

Russian EOG

Greetings,

Having not had a particularly good record with Russia in the past (my successes have tended to be with the western powers), I was cautiously optimistic I could change that with this game. I'd started well enough, forging a decent working relationship with Turkey and expanding into Scandinavia after England decided to plunder the low countries instead. After 1902, the eastern powers were sat atop the power rankings, and everything looked rosy.

Unfortunately, that was about as good as it got. Going nowhere in the north, increasingly irritated by SITS' refusal to leave BLA, I entered Austrian territory and then finally took Turkey's westward expansion as a good time for a stab. It wasn't. Turkey might have been overstretched, but he wasn't fatally so, and although I took down his chances of winning the game, I dragged my own down with them.

At which point, the merry-go-round began. I found my way into Ankara, but lost Rumania, and, crucially, Germany's collapse had allowed England into the Baltic. With no allies left, I'd fallen for the typical Russian trap of trying to fight two completely separate fronts at once - and with four fleets, little chance of retreating into a shell for survival. From then on, there was only one way - down.

Congratulations to Defiant and November Adam who both played excellent games, and to orange_1 for GMing. Hopefully I'll give Russia a miss for a while now...
    Visit the Vote UK Discussion Forum!

Comment

France EOG

Well this was my first game with you fellas, and my second game ever, so I must say this was a good way to be introduced to the game.

Well it was interesting opening up, cause Germany (Col Dark?) wished to form an alliance in the onset, he tried to use a fear of Britain to accomplish this. After digging for a little information from Britain and finding out Germany's treachorous plans ( ) we decided to ally against him. I tried to lure him into a belief of my noble intentions, did he believe me? you will have to ask him.

After that it was pretty much it was expand, expand.

I was very happy to see Russia go after Turkey as a Eastern alliance had me worried.

Thanks to Defiant for staying true to our alliance, and hope you didn't mind the little jab at the end.

Thanks Orange One for GM'ing.

Thanks to all the other players as well.

i would like to join in on another game as well. Although there may be a sticky period at one point as I should be having a little one very soon.
      What if your words could be judged like a crime? "Creed, What If?"

Comment

congrats November and Defiant

good to see some new blood
        "Chegitz, still angry about the fall of the Soviet Union in 1991?
        You provide no source. You PROVIDE NOTHING! And yet you want to destroy capitalism.. you criminal..." - Fez

"I was hoping for a Communist utopia that would last forever." - Imran Siddiqui

Comment

Great Britain EOG,

First, once again, thanks to Orange1 for an excellent ran game.

Believe or not I have never played Great Britain that I can recall, maybe I just did so poorly at it I don't want to remember. I took GB just to see how to play it.
          I initially went to Germany to look if we can split the board, he would go East and South and I would go through France on my way to Italy. ColDark(Germany), had to go and tell November Adam(France) my ideas and I dipped with France to get him on my side and it worked, I would go after Germany and Russia while he went after Italy and on through to Turkey. I knew I would have to move fast because November Adam had a potential to grab a tremendous amount of SC's.
          While I was working on Russia, (Iain put up a good fight) he would gain a lot of Sc's and he did.
          Once Germany was done and Russia was on the retreat I needed to put as many armies into the mainland as fast as possible to keep up with France.

Once there was really no opposition I started putting up DRAW proposals because November Adam had the edge on me and could Solo, so I begged and pleaded and said it sure would be nice to be able to end this game with the same friendship we had carried throughout the game. November Adam was kind enough to stick with the deal, something unusual and pleasantly accepted, with all these blood thirsty players out here.

I want to say thanks to November Adam, ColDark and SITS for being new players and sticking it out. Please join other games, but ask about the GM's rep for running the games, don't want to discourage you by having a game stalled by the GM. Thanks to the rest of the players, Victor, you certainly do have problems with Austria, stick with it, one will come out on you side.

Thanks again everyone.
          Lets always remember the passangers on United Flight 93, true heroes in every sense of the word!

(Quick! Someone! Anyone! Sava! Come help! )-mrmitchell

Comment

Turkey - EOG

For my first game I must admit I enjoyed it but I found it difficult to devote enough time to it. I didn't know enough about the game to do diplomacy properly so I had a policy of not agreeing to anything if I could help it which put me at a disadvantage. One of the reasons I was keen for the allegiance with Russia to go well was that I felt both of us would have a good chance together and it would nurse me through the game. The reason I wanted to keep my fleet in the Black Sea was that I had been told it would give me some security - I didn't realise it would provoke a stab! Unfortunately the breaking of our allegiance was the end of the game for both of us which I was disappointed with as I felt we could have gone on to greater things.

I made a couple of mistakes with my orders due to my lack of understanding for the game. I was under the impression that if I attacked a unit then it couldn't move but instead I found myself holding a useless territory and Russia moving in on me. I also made a mess of NC and SC which cost me. It took me a while to clean up the mess and by that time France had made it mission impossible.

I learnt a lot from playing the game, especially the importance of Diplomacy (D'oh!) and not to stab for stab's sake (thanks Iain!)

Thanks to all for a good game but especially to the Orange One for his patience in answering all my questions. Without his help then I wouldn't have lasted as long as I did. Congratulations for November Adam and Defiant for their much deserved win.
            'No room for human error, and really it's thousands of times safer than letting drivers do it. But the one in ten million has come up once again, and the the cause of the accident is sits, something in the silicon.' - The Gold Coast - Kim Stanley Robinson

'Feels just like I can take a thousand miles in my stride hey yey' - Oh, Baby - Rhianna

Comment

Defiant I have a feeling your one of those "blood thirsty" types.

Comment

Don't believe what you hear from those animals on this site.
                Lets always remember the passangers on United Flight 93, true heroes in every sense of the word!

Comment

If I didn't have a 12 page art paper that I haven't even begun planning how to BS, I would post an EOG, but until that is finished my life is Hell.

Some thoughts: France could have and should have gone for the solo. I generally plan for draws in my games, but in places like this where there is a clear opportunity to get that nice victory...
                  "The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists."
                  -Joan Robinson

Comment

How in the hell can you have a 12 page art paper, there is not enough subject matter to write that much, and isn't all art subjective, anybody's point of view works. And, Novermber Adam is an honorable player unlike Victor "Stab Happy" Galis.

Comment

How in the hell can you have a 12 page art paper, there is not enough subject matter to write that much, and isn't all art subjective, anybody's point of view works.
                      Hence my problem
                      "The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists."
                      -Joan Robinson

Comment

I just didn't feel right about stabbing at the end. I am happy to give credit where credit is due. I wouldn't have made it that far if I had to worry about the Brits. Besides we would have been like Russia and Turkey if our alliance fell appart.

Comment

Nah, the last minute stab for a couple of centers was quite possible.
                          -Joan Robinson

Comment

Working...
                          X