PBEM Game Idea

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PBEM Game Idea

In just about every strategy game from Dip to Civ each nation is pretty much monolithic (with perhaps a little bit of popular *****ing if there's a temple shortage ). I'd really like to play a game where internal diplomacy is as important as international diplomacy. So, I'm thinking of making my own game and then GMing it.

The basic idea would be that there are a set of fairly unstable nations that have a bunch of internal factions to deal with as well as try to conquer each other. At the minimum you'd probably need nine people (three nations with three factions each). Some possible historical setting would be Late-Medieval/Reniassance (sp?) Italy, the Dark Ages (maybe a bit after the death of Carlemagne), or 20th Century Central America.

I'm a bit biased in favor of the Ren Italy case so I'll use it for examples.

Each player would be a Patriarch (or Matriarch) of a noble family with a good chunk of land to get income from. Each clan would try to elbow its way into political power and get friends and family into lucrative political positions. People would try to stage coups, instagate riots and whatnot, try to form a break-away state, or invite in foriegn help to get their asses on the throne. One of the main means of trying to attain power would be currying favor with factions (perhaps petty nobility, merchants, guildmasters, the urban poor, and peasants). The Junta in power would have to balance their own weath and perhaps the prosperity of the state in order to keep powerful factions happy with their rule.

On the other side of the coin the various states could wage war in some kind of dip-esque fashion and try to grab land from each other and perhaps distribute that land among their friends in order to shore up their domestic pattern. Some kind of trade element could also be in there and control of trade routes could also be a cause for war and a source of income.

Hopefully this game would be even more of a stab-fest than diplomacy since not only would nations stab each other but internal factions could collude with invadors and torch your palace while your away.

Other elements that could be added would be battle over control over the Church with control of the Papal States and the ability to issue Interdicts and such as the ultimate prize and the possibility that your ungrateful cousin could be bribed by your enemies to betray you

I've talked about this idea with CyberGnu and he says that Merchent Prince II could be a good source of ideas to grab...

If you have any ideas/comments please posts them and if you want to join the design team you're more than welcome to since I'm a bit hazy on how to implement all this...
    Stop Quoting Ben

If you can manage to find it, check out a rare game called "1630-Something" (That's the actual name of the game). I think it's pretty close to what you're looking for.
    "I kick a$$ for the Lord!"
    -- Father McGruder, Peter Jackson's _Dead Alive_

Comment

Very interesting idea, but I'm equally hazy as to how you would implement this I'm also about to go on vacation, but I will be doing a lot of train riding, which means I will have a lot of spare time
      "The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists."
      -Joan Robinson

Comment

Working...
      X