Apolyton D&D: SF's PBEM.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Apolyton D&D: SF's PBEM.

This is the thread for those interested in playing in my Play-by-Email RPG. System knowledge is optional, as long as you're willing to learn. However, I am looking for time commitment. Ideally, you should check your email daily to play in this game. I'm not saying you'll actually have to respond every day, but things get slow otherwise. Vacations are fine, as are sudden bursts of schoolwork. But in general, if we want the game to move, you should check your email a good bit.

I will be accepting four players only. It's possible I might take 5 in event of weirdness. But otherwise, it takes too long to get a consensus on the next action. Note that this is not first-come first-serve; if you already see 4 people having posted, feel free to express your interest anyway. There are a few people who have priority if they want to play (well, okay, 2); after that, if there are still too many interested, I'll roll dice in true D&D fashion. Unfortunate, but sometimes that's the way it works.

In any case, if you're interested, please post answers to my little poll here as to what kind of game you want. Also post your email address, AIM, and ICQ number.

Most importantly: Campaign type. I have two ideas:

1) In a seemingly healthy kingdom, you are this year's band of recent recruits into the equivalent of the army's "Special Forces." Perhaps you were noticed as unusually clever in basic training, perhaps your father was an aristocrat and pulled some strings, perhaps you are a special observer from the Elven nation sent as a diplomatic gesture. So instead of lying around the barracks training and waiting for a non-existent war to start, you get to be sent out on interesting missions your superiors believe might aid your training. Obviously, more is at work underneath the surface, and how you solve your various missions might determine how important events go... This would use my own world setting, which I'd be happy to describe and flesh out.

2) A more standard "Adventurers unite!" kind of deal. By the odd workings of fate, a company of young (or old?) adventurers is forced together, and after their initial problems are dealt with, discover they enjoy adventuring together and scour the land in search of evil (or good?) to stop, treasures to find, maidens to romance, blah blah blah. This will need more party chemistry to insure that it works (as in, unlike the army where you might be ordered to work with someone, if you're free and hate a comrade, explaining why you keep with the party is hard), and the freeform nature makes it a bit harder to GM. It's more likely this would use an established setting (like the Forgotten Realms) to aid in providing things to do.

As you can tell, I have a slight preference for #1 (Soldiers), but I can do #2 (Adventurers) as well.

2. Format. I'd prefer to do this PBEM, but I wouldn't be averse to the occasional IRC game for a dramatic battle where you want to micromanage character actions. And if for some reason no one wants to do PBEM after all, then I suppose we could try it fully IRC.
    3. Length. How long do you expect to want to play this? Remember, short campaigns can generally be extended if people are enjoying it, but if you ask for a long campaign and people quit halfway through, then it's dissapointing and the plot doesn't resolve. We'll say 3 months, 6 months, 9 months, and a year are the default length options.
    4. Alignment. Do we want a generally Good party, Mixed, or Evil? Good and Evil kind of speak for themselves- in a Good group, everyone should have a Good or Neutral alignment and generally not complain too much for reckless altruism. Evil alignment group, evil & neutral characters who don't have a problem with being hired by slave drivers, etc. A Mixed group is possibly the most interesting and the most dangerous- people who can go either way. It allows the most character growth- if halfway through, the Mixed group realizes the true threat to the land (or whatever) and becomes Good, it's pretty cool. However, if you have a Noble Knight & a crazy murderer, you just have the party fall apart.
    5. Edition. I'd far prefer to run this in straight 3rd edition (As in straight from the PHB. No supplements.), but if there is a great demand for 2nd edition, so be it. If you want to see 3rd edition online, see

I'll try and post examples of how a PBEM generally runs soon.

Once we decide the setting and who's playing, we can start with character creation, hopefully.
    All syllogisms have three parts.
    Therefore this is not a syllogism.

sorry, i meant it to be a pm

Comment

Snowfire

would you be willing to be in the same setting as the other GMs so that people can interact and the like?

I think that would be cool

Jon Miller
      Jon Miller-
      I AM.CANADIAN
      GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Well, as noted, it depends on what setting the main group chooses! If they do a setting I know nothing about, that doesn't seem likely. If they do a setting I know, then sure, maybe that'll happen.

korn: Thanks for the message. I'll consider it, and if your schedule clears up, feel free to play, of course.

Comment

well, your posts made it sound as if you would be an interesting GM, so put me down for #2 (I would be interested in #1 but that would be hard to coordinate)

Jon Miller
          Jon Miller-
          I AM.CANADIAN
          GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

what settings are you familiar with?

could you post stuff like that in the GM thread

Jon Miller
            Jon Miller-
            I AM.CANADIAN

Comment

This could be interesting, but depending on what happens with the rest of the AD&D stuff, my time might be highly limited for the next 4 weeks ('till college starts again, at which point I have all the time in the world*). I'd be interested in campaign #1 for 6 months.

(Also, I would suggest posting some more about the setting, then asking people what sort of character they'd like to play then rolling off between people somewhat based on class (You wouldn't really want to end up with a party composed of 4 mages... or maybe you might, but that would impact their survivability somewhat (I assume military high command has some clue about such things))).

* (Applies only to playing AD&D, all other activities are subject to limited time due to priorities: AD&D, sleep, not flunking out)
              "The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists."
              -Joan Robinson

Comment

VG: A delayed sign-up is fine too. I already have a college friend of mine interested; originally he would take the place of anyone who dropped out, but it would work having him have a character for awhile until you could join.

As for setting information in the case of #1... well, I was thinking of using a setting I developed for a game I might run 2 summers ago. I'll try and post some of that later. But I do agree that there should be coordination about character creation; the thing is, it's kind of pointless to do until we know who's playing and what edition. So sure, once that's settled, we can have people saying what kind of character they'd prefer to play and insure the party isn't too unbalanced.

Comment

Right. I was just saying it'd be good to avoid a situation where you end up with 4 people whose heart is set on playing a mage (or any other class... though 4 clerics might work, if designed propperly). In any case, I don't think the other campaign will start too soon either, so that should give me time.
                  "The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists."
                  -Joan Robinson

Comment

I am interested, though I am moving so my connection to the Net should be sporadic for the next week or two, even though e-mail should be okay.
                    (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                    (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                    (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

UR: No problem. Like I said before, short vacations aren't an issue.

I would ask, though, that you give your preferences on the things I asked for player input on- how long do you expect the game to run? Would you rather do "Soldiers" or "Adventurers?" And so on.

I've decided as for flavor on #1, I'll just post a small website where I put all my (non-confidential) work up. Hopefully that should be done by the end of the weekend.

Comment

I'd like to get in on this, the first setting sounds cool, my email and aim are Rainismydoggy@aol.com, and I check daily
                        First Master, Banan-Abbot of the Nana-stary, and Arch-Nan of the Order of the Sacred Banana.
                        Marathon, the reason my friends and I have been playing the same hotseat game since 2006...

Comment

I would also be interested in joining this game. Checking email daily isn't a problem for me. This will be my first real D&D experience (if you exclude games like Diablo ^_^), so I don't have any hard preferences for how the game is run aside from wanting PBEM.

Soldiers sounds good, and assuming we can extend the game, I will say 6 months. Good alignment sounds... good. No preference for (or experience with) any edition.

I will provide my contact details to the group if I get included.
                          I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

I would like to point out that, at least according to the PHB, paladins will not knowingly associate with evil characters. That being said, I'd preffer a good/neutral party. Not that I'd ever really want to play a paladin again, but...

Of course houserules and roleplaying could circumvent that limitation, as well as any of the variety of means of concealing one's alignment.
                            -Joan Robinson

Comment

This does look interesting. I'm not too familiar with the 3rd edition rules, but I played a lot of 2nd edition.

My only problem is time. I haven't had a lot of it to spare recently. A once-a-day e-mail check is no problem, but I wouldn't be able to respond every day. Length doesn't mattter. Last campaign I was in was in college and ran about two years, playing basically every weekend classes were in session.

In any case, I tend to prefer the adventurers style campaigns. My general run of characters are not the kind that fit well in a military setting, so it'd have to be a pretty unusual military group for that to work if I'm in. I generally prefer good groups, but I can do evil real well if necessary.

Wraith
                              Carpe DM: Seize the Dungeon Master

Comment

Working...
                              X