South Africa Sheep's NES

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• South Africa Sheep's NES

After the British seized the Cape of Good Hope area in 1806, many of the Dutch settlers (the Boers) trekked north to found their own republics. The discovery of diamonds (1867) and gold (1886) spurred wealth and immigration and intensified the subjugation of the native inhabitants. The Boers resisted British encroachments, but were defeated in the Boer War (1899-1902). The resulting Union of South Africa operated under a policy of apartheid - the separate development of the races. The 1990s brought an end to apartheid politically and ushered in black majority rule.

South Africa is a middle-income, developing country with an abundant supply of resources, well-developed financial, legal, communications, energy, and transport sectors, a stock exchange that ranks among the 10 largest in the world, and a modern infrastructure supporting an efficient distribution of goods to major urban centers throughout the region. However, growth has not been strong enough to cut into high unemployment, and daunting economic problems remain from the apartheid era, especially the problems of poverty and lack of economic empowerment among the disadvantaged groups. Other problems are crime, corruption, and HIV/AIDS. At the start of 2000, President MBEKI vowed to promote economic growth and foreign investment, and to reduce poverty by relaxing restrictive labor laws, stepping up the pace of privatization, and cutting unneeded governmental spending. The economy slowed in 2001, largely the result of the slowing of the international economy.

transshipment center for heroin, hashish, marijuana, and possibly cocaine; cocaine consumption on the rise; world's largest market for illicit methaqualone, usually imported illegally from India through various east African countries; illicit cultivation of marijuana; attractive venue for money launderers given the increasing level of organized criminal and narcotics activity in the region

Source:
    CIA - The World Factbook 2002 -- South Africa

Allies: none as of yet
    Enemies: none as of yet
    Money: Income is 5, Bank has our first 5
    extra crap's gonna go here
    First Master, Banan-Abbot of the Nana-stary, and Arch-Nan of the Order of the Sacred Banana.
    Marathon, the reason my friends and I have been playing the same hotseat game since 2006...

History of South Africa from onset of the new times

The Pretoria Hearald is the Conservative paper,

The Cape Town Gazette is the Liberal one.

PRETORIA HEARALD

Government Fiscally Responsible
    Today the new government was showing fiscal responsibility by banking the nations funds to stimulate the local economy, this additional money up for lending will result in more venture capitalism, and hopefully higher profit revenues down the line.

CAPE TOWN GAZETTE

New Government has no position on the AIDS crisis
    A seemingly well-informed "no comment" came from the parliament building today when asked a simple yes or no question about the AIDS crisis.
    First Master, Banan-Abbot of the Nana-stary, and Arch-Nan of the Order of the Sacred Banana.
    Marathon, the reason my friends and I have been playing the same hotseat game since 2006...

Comment

and, yet more, just in case

Comment

Edit: Removed as per Sheep's request.

Comment

looking good.

Frozzy not trade pacts or anything.
          Don't tell a twisted person he is twisted, he may take offence. (THAT MEANS ME!)
          Founder of the Mafia Poly Series (THATS RIGHT I STARTED IT)
          Nesing, come and see what its about in the Stories and Diplomacy threads.

Comment

To: South Africa

France would offically like to invite you to join the Eurasian Pact, along with Germany, India, and I. Our world is a dangerous place, and a strong alliance is neccesary. Of course, your joining would be subject to the wishes of the other pact members. It wouldn't be hard though, since a majority of pact members have to approve, and there's only 3, and we would vote yes. So, please consider joining the Eurasian Pact.

Yours, President Jacques Chirac of France

PS: Disregard the fact it's called the Eurasian Pact and you're in Africa. We can change the name if it bothers you too much.

Comment

To: South Africa

References? Well, for starters you can check out the Euroasian alliance's thread: http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...threadid=91876

Comment

To South Africa
                From International Treaty of Nations

Pay not attention to the Eurasion alliance, they want you for their future needs. The International Treaty of Nations Pact is interested in the security of African peoples living within your country, and for the soveriegnty of South Africa. We offer you this alliance, though it must be radified by two other member nations, as a hope of good will between out nations, and the continued protection of South Africa, as well as Russia, South Korea, Japan, United States, and Great Britain. We look forward to hearing from you.

For a reference, please visit http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...hreadid=91844.

-United States of America
                "Your a Mod not a God" - AnarchyRulz
                MOD of StJNES4, JNES: The War of the World
                JNESIV: Some Things Should Never Die

Comment

To:South Africa

On behalf of the EAAA I welcome you into our grand alliance

Comment

To:South Africa

I strongly urge you to change your orders...You need a bomber or something to use the nuke anyways...It's a waste of South African money that could be put to good use elsewhere

Comment

Working...
                    X