No announcement yet.

GUI Design(s)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes thank you very much Gateway. I have been looking up on GUI's and looking at successful Strategy games for Inspiration(s) and Ideas. I didn't look at any Moo3 stuff though so thanks!

P.S. Word is much easier in terms of moving boxes around.
    -J.B.-
    Naval Imperia Designer

Comment

Ok the New GUI is finally here! Click down on the link below...

Some major information is located in the Readme but I included it here also:

Top Bar: The top bar has tow arrows, you press on it and it hides the Bar. Click on the arrows now reversed arrows and it unhides the top bar. This is an optional bar. It can be tooken off if wanted. Its just a way to get around easier with one click or two.

Square Zoom: This zooms in onto the square making a 3D graphic view of the selected Square. If someone wants a more detailed info of square click here.'

Square: The tile or any other square thingy is shown with stats and if you click on a base then the square under the base is shown.

Global and System Scroll Screen: It contains scrolling information that is current much like the info. in SMAC.

Map(s): Each tab has a different map. They show the stuff related to the name. Example - Elevation shows how high the parts of the map are. Then Trade shows the Trade routes, etc.

Menu: Contains all the information and different screens. The Top Bar only contains some major links of what is in the menu.

Comm: The commlink thingy ~ Obvious

Turn Change: Obvious

Squadron Stats: Shows the Squadron stats if there are more than two units. If not then its blank.

Selected Unit Stats: Shows Stats of the current selected unit it can also select base(s). Then the squadron is the units inside base.

Well thats I think all of the major info. If any questions then plz tell me by post.
      -J.B.-
      Attached Files
      Naval Imperia Designer

Comment

Now we are talking! That GUI shows definite improvement.

Now, for more constructive comments.

Tabs: Tabs are good. In fact, I am thinking that we probably could extend the concept of tabs beyond what you did for the map / square information panes. The three panels in the middle look a little crammed together. We will either have to use a small font, or reall stuff the information in there. So, why not put tabs there also? I mean, it's not like the player is always going to only use his units. Therefore, at other times the unit selection pane might be empty. And also, does the player need to see the "Global" and the "system" information at the same time? Maybe we could make that just one pane, with tabs similar to the ones on the maps? That way, there will be (a) more space for information at any given time, and (b) less information concurrently at the screen at any given time. Which is also a good thing, because when there is too much information displayed at the same time, it gets a bit overwhelming, especially since not all of the information will be needed at all times. For instance, when moving troops, you might not need to see the global info. And when surveying the global situation, you might not want to see the specific troops composing some arbitrary stack (err... squadron I don't know when I'll get used to a different term ).
        XBox Live: VovanSim
        xbox.com (login required)
        Halo 3 Service Record (I fail at FPS...)
        Spore page

Comment

Yeah The GUI Looks alot better, mostly I got a moral boost by being appointed GUI Developer. So I figured I should make it more professional.

Now for your comments and thanks Vovansim for the Help...

I got the Tab inspiration from Gateway's Link. All Hail Gateway! yeah I thought it was a bit crammed. The Information is actually in a big spot. Of course it looks like its small but maximised to big screen it is huge spaces for Info. ~ Just a fact. I will consider putting tabs there too and I got a great Idea of how to do that, of course its from the link. The Global Info should be a tab too. Press the tab to go to the System info and bingo! Now about the Information too much thingy... Well thats a major problem with any Game. Well I got an Idea as to minimize that...
          (A)We make it so that we hover over the certain spot and it shows information or we can hot key it and bingo!
          (B)Another idea is to have pictures and when you click on the picture it brings up a popup. ~ I dont like this Idea a whole lot because popups are "BAD" for games.

I will try to make it as Onion Style as I can. Thank you link!

Since I'm starting back on the week I'm not sure if I can get this done in one day. I will have to draw it out.
          -J.B.-
          Naval Imperia Designer

Comment

Argh I posted too soon and forgot something:

This is gonna be the default GUI Style and the user can pick from a variety of styles or can pick the default.

Now about Static and Movable...

Movable is of course a cool neat little feature, but after many interviews and carefull consideration on the subject I came to the conclusion that Movable windows shouldn't be in the game. For one thing most strategic games, if not all, are Static. So I vote for Static. If the majority wants Movable then fine. But it would be a lot less complicated with a Static and alot prettier.
            -J.B.-
            Naval Imperia Designer

Comment

At least, leave several layouts for different screen resolutions. And in general, look at Stars!. It's really old game, but its command interface is one of the best I ever seen, IMHO.
              If you don't see my avatar, your monitor is incapable to display 128 bit colors.
              Stella Polaris Development Team, ex-Graphics Manager

Comment

About the Screen Resolution, I'll do it once I have a GUI that is agreed upon by all.

Current Info:

I have drawn up the Design and is gonna be much less compacted and spread out a little more. I will put it onto the computer when time is kind.
                -J.B.-
                Naval Imperia Designer

Comment

Since I'm in a hurry just read the Readme and hopefully this info is good enough...

- The Elevation is just to show high elevated terrain.

- The Global button thingy is pressed and the system info comes up and then says "S" on the button then clicked again and it says "G".

- Zoom allways brings up new screen.

- Right click on something to get more options

- Hover to get some info if not readable.

- etc.

Argh Times up. Hope ya like v.05.
                  -J.B.-
                  Attached Files
                  Naval Imperia Designer

Comment

OK, nice
                    But the "Game View" area seems to be a bit too small.
                    If you don't see my avatar, your monitor is incapable to display 128 bit colors.
                    Stella Polaris Development Team, ex-Graphics Manager

Comment

Very nice indeed
                      But can you reduce the height of bottom UI? It take a little too place, IMO.
                      Aslo the gods are impotent against men's stupidity --Frederich Shiller
                      In my vocabulary the word "Impossible" doesn't exist --Napoleon
                      Stella Polaris Development Team -> Senior Code Writer (pro tempore) & Designer

Comment

Yeah the Height, and stuff is more up to how the Coders (Vultur, Vovansim, etc.) Make it. I am only puting the general layout. Its not made to size.
                        -J.B.-
                        Naval Imperia Designer

Comment

Once the GUI is on the screen then it will have larger fonts and it will have more space, about as much as SMAC has. So dont worry too much about that.
                          I will wait for some feedback before doing another design. So far it looks like there isn't anything to comment on. Yet I haven't seen everyone participating in this discussion. Only about 3-4 people. Out of 20. Excluding me.
                          -J.B.-

Oh and one comment about V.05 is...

I accidently put Selected Unit Stats in both boxes and only one is supposed to have it. Make the one to the right have Squadron Stats and the Other Selected Stats.

-J.B.-
                          Naval Imperia Designer

Comment

Ok I take it that V.05 is good because there isn't any feedback on it. If I'm mistaken then please post something so that I can get to work on the GUI Designs.

Before we start on a second screen we need to think of what content we want to present. Then I can make it off of that.
                            -J.B.- (GUI Devoper currently out of a job.)
                            Naval Imperia Designer

Comment

Working...
                            X